The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
The Emerging Science Of Longevity with Peter Diamandis
What if I told you we’ll reach a point in time where scientific breakthroughs will extend our lives by more than a year, for every year we are alive? This is called longevity escape velocity, and some experts think it’s only 12 to 15 years away. Of course, getting to that point is multidimensional. It means addressing health from all angles, with personal lifestyle choices, technology, and more.
On today’s episode, I’m excited to talk to Peter Diamandis about the future of longevity interventions and why we won’t always have the same idea of aging that we do today. Peter Diamandis is the founder and executive chairman of the XPRIZE Foundation, which leads the world in designing and operating large-scale incentive competitions. He was recently named by Fortune as one of the “World’s 50 Greatest Leaders.” He is also the executive founder of Singularity University, a graduate-level Silicon Valley institution that counsels the world's leaders on exponentially growing technologies.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers, Athletic Greens, and Rupa Health.
Try BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough for 10% off by going to magbreakthrough.com/hyman and using the code HYMAN10.
Athletic Greens is offering my listeners 10 free travel packs of AG1 when you make your first purchase at athleticgreens.com/hyman.
Rupa Health is a place for Functional Medicine practitioners to access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, Great Plains, and more. You can check out a free live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.
Here are more of the details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- What is longevity? (6:30 / 2:19)
- Our view of aging may really be one of abnormal aging (10:28 / 7:26)
- Why we age and why we don't have to (14:26 / 10:45)
- Scientific evidence of age reversal in animals (28:28 / 22:46)
- The fundamentals of improving health and living longer, better (31:25 / 26:09)
- Using diagnostics and early detection for longevity (40:11 / 32:57)
- Promising, out-of-the-box therapies on the horizon to enhance longevity (46:55 / 42:22)
- Metformin vs. diet and lifestyle for blood glucose level reversal (57:36 / 52:20)
- Total plasma exchange therapy (1:03:06 /1:00)
- How additional life expectancy of humanity will contribute to the global economy (1:10:15 / 1:05:18)