The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
Surprise Hacks To Balance Your Blood Sugar with Jessie Inchauspé
Food should be a tool for helping us feel our best. But, most people don’t realize what kind of impact their favorite foods are having on their blood sugar, and subsequently their entire body. Feeling hungry even when you just ate, craving sweets, and dealing with acne, hormonal imbalances, and signs of aging like wrinkles are just a few of the many symptoms of blood sugar swings. When these continue to go unchecked more severe dysfunctions can occur. On today’s episode, I talk to Jessie Inchauspé, also known as the “Glucose Goddess,” all about her tried-and-true hacks for balancing blood sugar and increasing insulin sensitivity.
Jessie holds a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from King's College London and a master’s degree in biochemistry from Georgetown University. Her work at a genetic analysis start-up in Silicon Valley made her realize that, as the key to good health, food habits beat genetics. In her first book, Glucose Revolution, Jessie shares her startling discovery about the essential role of blood sugar in every aspect of our lives, from cravings to fertility, and the surprising hacks to optimize it while still eating the foods we love.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, BiOptimizers, and Athletic Greens.
Rupa Health is a place where Functional Medicine practitioners can access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.
BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough formula contains seven different forms of magnesium, all of which have different functions in the body. Go to magbreakthrough.com/hyman and use code hyman10 at checkout for 10% off your next order.
Right now when you purchase AG1 from Athletic Greens, you will receive 10 free travel packs with your first purchase by visiting athleticgreens.com/hyman.
Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- The spinal injury and mental health issues that started Jessie’s health journey (5:35 / 2:34)
- Symptoms of blood sugar swings (11:36 / 8:20)
- Jessie’s top hacks for stabilizing glucose levels (19:08 / 15:50)
- Why some people metabolize glucose differently than others (29:07 / 24:35)
- Blood sugar, aging, and longevity (33:17 / 27:55)
- How glucose affects our energy production (28:35)
- Sugar and hormonal imbalances (39:12 / 34:37)
- The best and worst forms of starch (43:10 / 37:44)
- When glucose levels don’t tell the full story (54:30 / 49:51)
- Stress and blood sugar (57:09 / 52:31)