The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
Reversing Chronic Disease And Aging By Fixing Insulin Resistance with Dr. Ben Bikman
We’re up against an epidemic of chronic metabolic diseases. One thing they all have in common is a component of insulin dysregulation. Take that into account with the fact that 90% of people who have insulin resistance are going to the doctor and remaining undiagnosed. Why then, are we testing everything but insulin? Today, I take a deep dive into the topic of insulin resistance and metabolic health with Dr. Ben Bikman.
Dr. Bikman is a renowned metabolic research scientist and a popular speaker on human metabolism and nutrition. Backed by years of research, Dr. Bikman’s mission is to help the world appreciate the prevalence and relevance of insulin resistance. He is the author of the book, Why We Get Sick, which offers a thought-provoking yet real solution to insulin resistance and reversing pre-diabetes, improving brain function, shedding fat, and preventing diabetes. Dr. Bikman has a Doctor of Philosophy in Bioenergetics from East Carolina University, and completed a postdoctoral fellowship in metabolic disorders with the Duke-National University of Singapore Medical School.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, BiOptimizers, and HigherDOSE.
Rupa Health is a place for Functional Medicine practitioners to access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, Great Plains, and more. Check out a free live demo with a Q&A or create an account here.
Right now, you can try Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough for 10% off at magbreakthrough.com/hyman and use code hyman10 at checkout.
Get your own Infrared Sauna Blanket or Infrared PEMF Mat and save 15% at HigherDOSE.com/hyman or use the code FARMACY15 at checkout.
Here are more of the details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- The common driver of metabolic syndrome and chronic disease (5:10 / 1:30)
- What is insulin resistance and why is it so underdiagnosed? (7:57 / 5:08)
- How insulin resistance affects the liver, sex hormones, weight gain, aging, and the brain (15:36 / 12:45)
- Differences in how high-carb and low-carb diets affect metabolism (30:11 / 24:55)
- Three primary causes of insulin resistance (47:52 / 42:39)
- Fat, saturated fats, and insulin resistance (50:58 / 45:46)
- How to know if insulin resistance is a problem for you (1:02:32 / 56:50)
- Ethnic disparities in metabolic predisposition (1:09:18 / 57:11)
- Top things you can do to prevent and reverse the effects of insulin resistance (1:13:07 / 1:03:54)
- Insulin’s role in mTOR, a regulator of aging (1:31:17 / 1:26:05)
Mentioned in this episode: