The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
How Vitamin D Deficiency Impacts Your Mood, Immune Function, And Risk Of Disease
Up to 90 percent of the population have an inadequate intake of vitamin D and around 40 percent are deficient. Vitamin D, which works closely with magnesium, is a steroid hormone and is critical for proper immune function. It also helps support healthy inflammation levels and is important for supporting bone health, improving mood, reducing cancer risk, and reducing the severity of illnesses, including respiratory illnesses.
In today’s episode, I talk with Dr. Elizabeth Boham and Max Lugavere about why your vitamin D level matters and how to increase it.
Dr. Elizabeth Boham is a physician and nutritionist who practices Functional Medicine at The UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Through her practice and lecturing she has helped thousands of people achieve their goals of optimum health and wellness. She witnesses the power of nutrition every day in her practice and is committed to training other physicians to utilize nutrition in healing.
Max Lugavere is a health and science journalist and the author of the New York Times bestseller Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life, now published in 10 languages around the globe. His sophomore book, also a bestseller, is called The Genius Life: Heal Your Mind, Strengthen Your Body, and Become Extraordinary. Max is the host of a number one iTunes health and wellness podcast called The Genius Life. His new cookbook, Genius Kitchen, just hit the shelves. Max appears regularly on The Dr. Oz Show, The Rachael Ray Show, and The Doctors. He has contributed to Medscape, Vice, Fast Company, CNN, and The Daily Beast and has been featured on NBC’s Nightly News and The Today Show and in the New York Times and People magazine. He is an internationally sought-after speaker and has given talks at South by Southwest, the New York Academy of Sciences, the Biohacker Summit in Stockholm, Sweden, and many others.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa University, AG1, and Pendulum.
If you’re a healthcare provider who wants to learn more about Functional Medicine testing, go to rupauniversity.com to sign up for a free live class or a boot camp!
Head to drinkAG1.com/HYMAN to receive 10 FREE travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.
Pendulum is offering my listeners 20% off their first month of an Akkermansia subscription with code HYMAN. Head to pendulumlife.com to check it out.
Full-length episodes of these interviews can be found here:
View all episodes
822. How To Reverse Memory Loss With Diet And Lifestyle25:28This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health and BiOptimizers.Scientists now call Alzheimer’s disease “Type 3 diabetes.” What’s the link between Alzheimer’s and diabetes? Well, new research shows insulin resistance, or what I call diabesity (from eating too many carbs and sugar and not enough fat), is one of the major factors that starts the brain-damage cascade that robs the memory of millions of people.In today’s episode of my series I’m calling Health Bites, I discuss the link between insulin resistance and memory loss and the top strategies I use with my patients to reverse or prevent dementia. This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health and BiOptimizers.Streamline your lab orders with Rupa Health. Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests and register for a FREE live demo at RupaHealth.com.Tackle an overlooked root cause of stress with Magnesium Breakthrough. Visit MagBreakthrough.com/Hyman and use code HYMAN10 to save 10%.Here are more details from the episode (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):The prevalence of Alzheimer’s and dementia (3:11 / 1:28)The link between Alzheimer’s, pre-diabetes, and diabetes (4:27 / 2:44)Cognitive loss reversal (8:35 / 6:52)How to eat to support the brain (11:18 / 9:36)Causes of Alzheimer’s (11:45 / 10:02)A patient case study (13:44 / 12:01)Strategies to reverse memory loss (19:01 / 17:18)Mentioned in this episodeDr. Hyman’s Free Sleep Master Class
821. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: A Novel Treatment for Longevity, Brain Health, and Chronic Disease with Dr. Scott Sherr01:21:27This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, BiOptimizers, Levels, and Joovv.I’m willing to bet oxygen isn’t front-of-mind for most of us each day. We can get what we need at any given moment: enough to conveniently power our lungs and bodies without any conscious work on our part. So you might be surprised to learn that oxygen is somewhat of an undercover superhero, and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) unleashes its powers for dramatic healing. HBOT uses air pressure 2 to 3 times higher than the atmospheric pressure around us, helping our lungs gather much more oxygen than would be possible by breathing pure oxygen at standard air pressure. Amplifying oxygen in this way creates an environment that helps fight bacteria and triggers growth factors and stem cells for deep healing. On today’s episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy, I’m excited to talk to Dr. Scott Sherr all about Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and how we can use it to maximize healing and reverse aging.Dr. Scott Sherr is a Board Certified Internal Medicine Physician Certified in Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and Health Optimization Medicine (HOMe). He is the founder of Integrative HBOT, a worldwide telemedicine practice where he consults and educates patients and clinics using his novel approach to hyperbaric therapy that includes cutting-edge and dynamic HBOT protocols, comprehensive laboratory testing (using the HOMe framework), targeted supplementation, personal practices, synergistic technologies (new and ancient), and more. This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, BiOptimizers, Levels, and Joovv.Streamline your lab orders with Rupa Health. Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests and register for a FREE live demo at RupaHealth.com.Tackle an overlooked root cause of stress with Magnesium Breakthrough. Visit MagBreakthrough.com/Hyman and use code HYMAN10 to save 10%.Right now, Levels is offering an additional 2 free months when you sign up for an annual membership. Learn more at Levels.link/Hyman.For a limited time, Joovv is offering listeners an exclusive $50 off their first light therapy order. Just go to Joovv.com/Farmacy and use code FARMACY.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):What is HBOT and how does it work? (5:19 / 3:29)Insurance-approved and off-label indications for HBOT (13:48 / 11:58)HBOT for Lyme disease, vascular health, longevity, and more (18:51 / 17:01)HBOT for neurodegenerative disease (26:57 / 22:19)HBOT for recovery, anti-aging, and health optimization (34:34 / 29:57)Types of HBOT chambers (39:28 / 34:51)HBOT protocols for frequency, dose, and duration (49:18 / 44:40)HBOT and cognitive function (57:00 / 52:23)Safety and efficacy of HBOT chambers (1:08:55 / 1:04:03)HBOT and cancer treatment (1:12:52 / 1:08:15)Learn more at OnebaseHealth.com and get a 10% discount on chambers with the code MARK.
820. Exclusive Dr. Hyman+ Functional Medicine Deep Dive: Endothelial Health21:30Hey podcast community, Dr. Mark here. My team and I are so excited to offer you a 7 Day Free trial of the Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast. For 7 days, you get access to all this and more entirely for free! It's so easy to sign up. Just go click the Try Free button on the Doctor’s Farmacy Podcast page in Apple Podcast. In this teaser episode, you’ll hear a preview of our latest Dr. Hyman+ Functional Medicine Deep Dive on endothelial health with Dr. Michael Twyman.Learn more about Dr. Twyman at drtwyman.com and follow him on Instagram @drtwymanWant to hear the full episode? Subscribe now. With your 7 day free trial to Apple Podcast, you’ll gain access to audio versions of:- Ad-Free Doctor’s Farmacy Podcast episodes- Exclusive monthly Functional Medicine Deep Dives- Monthly Ask Mark Anything Episodes - Bonus audio content exclusive to Dr. Hyman+Trying to decide if the Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast is right for you? Email my team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have. Please note, Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast only includes Dr. Hyman+ in audio content.
819. What Standard Cholesterol Testing Isn't Telling You01:06:16This episode is brought to you by Rupa University, AG1, and Pendulum. Dietary cholesterol from saturated fat is often thought to be the cause of high LDL cholesterol and blocked arteries. But we now know from updated research that it’s much more complicated than that. Standard cholesterol testing is outdated because it doesn’t check for particle size and particle number, information that is needed to tell what’s really going on with your cholesterol. Statins are often prescribed to lower LDL cholesterol, but often do not address the root of the problem and can cause very uncomfortable side effects.In today’s episode, I talk with Drs. Elizabeth Boham, Ronald Krauss, and Aseem Malhotra about the true role of cholesterol and what is really behind heart disease.Dr. Elizabeth Boham is a physician and nutritionist who practices Functional Medicine at The UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Through her practice and lecturing she has helped thousands of people achieve their goals of optimum health and wellness. She witnesses the power of nutrition every day in her practice and is committed to training other physicians to utilize nutrition in healing.Dr. Ronald Krauss is a Senior Scientist at Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, a Professor of Medicine at UCSF, and an Adjunct Professor of Nutritional Sciences at UC Berkeley. Dr. Krauss’s research aims to understand how to best prevent cardiovascular disease through early detection and management of its major risk factors: most notably, elevated levels of blood cholesterol and lipoproteins. He has published more than 450 research articles and reviews on metabolic, genetic, dietary, and drug effects on plasma lipoproteins and the risk of coronary artery disease, with more than 100,000 citations of this work.Dr. Aseem Malhotra is an NHS-trained consultant cardiologist and visiting Professor of Evidence-Based Medicine at the Bahiana School of Medicine and Public Health in Salvador, Brazil. He is a founding member of Action on Sugar. In 2015, he became the youngest member to be appointed to the board of trustees of UK health charity The King's Fund. He is a pioneer of the lifestyle medicine movement in the UK and in 2018 was ranked by software company Onalytica as the number one doctor in the world influencing obesity thinking.This episode is brought to you by Rupa University, AG1, and Pendulum.Rupa University is hosting FREE classes and bootcamps for healthcare providers who want to learn more about Functional Medicine testing. Sign up at RupaUniversity.com.Get your daily serving of vitamins, minerals, adaptogens, and more with AG1. Head to DrinkAG1.com/Hyman and get 10 FREE travel packs with your first order.Pendulum is offering listeners 20% off their first month’s subscription of Akkermansia for gut health. Visit PendulumLife.com and use code HYMAN.Full-length episodes of these interviews can be found here:Dr. Elizabeth BohamDr. Ronald KraussDr. Aseem Malhotra
818. 14 "Foods" To Avoid For Better Health32:58This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox and AG1.Food is literally the most powerful medicine we have available to control our health. When we choose to eat quality foods, we gain a whole host of benefits. Our body gets the nutrients it actually needs to function well. We get more energy, our mood improves, we avoid a long list of adverse health effects, and we will overall just feel better. Yet, it can be surprisingly hard to know what to eat and what to avoid, especially with all of the overly processed, chemical-laden “food” in stores and restaurants.In today’s episode of my series I’m calling Health Bites, I walk you through what foods and food ingredients are most damaging to your health.This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox and AG1.For new members of ButcherBox, you can receive New York Strip steaks for a year PLUS $20 off your first order. Go to Butcherbox.com/farmacy and use code FARMACY.Head to drinkAG1.com/HYMAN to receive 10 FREE travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.Here are more details from the episode (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):What is ultra-processed food? (5:26 / 3:08)“Good” vs. “bad” processed foods (6:48 / 4:30)14 “foods” to avoid for better health (11:24 / 9:06)
817. Brain Fitness: Reversing Cognitive Decline And Improving Brain Function with Dr. Majid Fotuhi01:13:25This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Essentia, Cozy Earth, and AirDoctor.It’s never too early to start protecting your brain, and with more than 6 million Americans living with Alzheimer's—projected to rise to nearly 13 million by 2050—this is something we should all contemplate more often.On today’s episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy, I’m excited to talk to Dr. Majid Fotuhi about the top actions we can take to prevent cognitive decline and optimize brain function.Dr. Majid Fotuhi is a neurologist with expertise in the fields of memory, concussion, and successful aging. Through his 30 years of teaching, clinical work, and neuroscience research at Harvard Medical School and Johns Hopkins, Dr. Fotuhi has developed a multidisciplinary program for helping people of all ages improve their memory and attention. His innovative Brain Fitness Program addresses lifestyle factors and cognitive stimulation, and he has published the successful results of this program in several scientific journals and three books, including Boost Your Brain: The New Art and Science Behind Enhanced Brain Performance. Dr. Fotuhi received his doctorate degree in neuroscience from Johns Hopkins University in 1992 and his Medical Degree from Harvard Medical School in 1997. He serves as an adjunct professor at George Washington University.This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Essentia, Cozy Earth, and AirDoctor.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. You can check out a free live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.Receive an extra $100 off your mattress purchase on top of Essentia’s Huge Black Friday Sale! Go to myessentia.com/drmarkhyman and use code HYMAN at checkout to get this great deal.Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DRHYMAN.Right now, if you go to drhyman.com/filter you can get the AirDoctor filter for $349. That’s $280 off the normal price.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):The evolution of Dr. Fotuhi’s understanding of memory and brain health (7:34 / 5:41)Why Dr. Fotuhi started his own brain center (14:10 / 12:17)Incredible science to slow and prevent memory loss (19:07 / 17:14)The myth of diagnosis (23:03 / 21:10)Four ways to support the brain (30:03 / 26:10) The connection between belly size and brain size (31:36 / 27:43)Common culprits of poor brain function (36:29 / 32:36Reactions of Dr. Fotuhi’s colleagues to his work (47:07 / 43:14)Lifestyle practices for a healthy brain (54:17 / 50:24)Modifiable risk factors for brain dysfunction (1:00:14 / 56:24)Learn more at Drfotuhi.com and try the Brain Portfolio/Brain Fitness Calculator.
816. Exclusive Dr. Hyman+ Ask A Doctor: Arthritis, Supporting Children’s Immune Systems, And More18:13Hey podcast community, Dr. Mark here. My team and I are so excited to offer you a 7 Day Free trial of the Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast. For 7 days, you get access to all this and more entirely for free! It's so easy to sign up. Just go click the Try Free button on the Doctor’s Farmacy Podcast page in Apple Podcast. In this teaser episode, you’ll hear a preview of our monthly Ask A Doctor Anything episode with Dr. Elizabeth Boham.Want to hear the full episode? Subscribe now. With your 7 day free trial to Apple Podcast, you’ll gain access to audio versions of:- Ad-Free Doctor’s Farmacy Podcast episodes- Exclusive monthly Functional Medicine Deep Dives- Monthly Ask Mark Anything Episodes - Bonus audio content exclusive to Dr. Hyman+Trying to decide if the Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast is right for you? Email my team at email@example.com with any questions you have. Please note, Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast does not include access to the Dr. Hyman+ site and only includes Dr. Hyman+ in audio content.
815. How To Balance Women's Hormones With Lifestyle And Diet55:28This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Bioptimizers, and Paleovalley. Contrary to popular belief, women cannot follow the same health and fitness protocols as men and expect the same results. Unlike men, women in their reproductive years have specific hormonal considerations, and their rise and fall throughout the month impact everything from energy to focus, mood, metabolism, and the ability to adapt to good-for-you stressors like exercise or fasting. Meanwhile, perimenopause and menopause pose a whole other list of considerations to keep women feeling well.In today’s episode, I talk with Dr. Mindy Pelz and Dr. Sara Gottfried about why we need to prioritize teaching women about their hormones.Dr. Mindy Pelz is a renowned holistic health expert and one of the leading voices in educating women about their hormonal health. She has empowered hundreds of thousands of people around the world to tap into their bodies' innate healing abilities through her “5-Step Approach,” which uses fasting, personalized nutrition, stress management, chemical detoxification, and lifestyle changes to optimize health and slow the aging process.Dr. Sara Gottfried is a board-certified physician who graduated from Harvard and MIT. She practices evidence-based integrative, precision, and Functional Medicine. She is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Integrative Medicine and Nutritional Sciences at Thomas Jefferson University, and Director of Precision Medicine at the Marcus Institute of Integrative Health. Her three New York Times bestselling books include: The Hormone Cure, The Hormone Reset Diet, and Younger. Her latest book is called Women, Food, and Hormones.This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Bioptimizers, and Paleovalley.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. You can check out a free live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.During the entire month of November, Bioptimizers is offering their biggest discount AND giving away amazing gifts with purchases. Just go to bioptimizers.com/hyman using code hyman10.Paleovalley is offering my listeners 15% off their entire first order. Just go to paleovalley.com/hyman to check out all their clean Paleo products and take advantage of this deal.Full-length episodes of these interviews can be found here:Dr. Mindy PelzDr. Mark HymanDr. Sara Gottfried
814. Why Eating Grains Can Drive Obesity, Heart Disease, Autoimmune Issues, And More27:37This episode is brought to you by Mitopure and LMNT.For nearly all of our history, humans consumed no grains, and our bodies are designed to work very well without them. Today, however, grain-based foods are by far the number one source of calories in the American diet. While whole grains can be a great source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, the toxic amounts we eat contribute to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and dementia. Plus, most of the grains we eat—even whole wheat—are turned into flour products which have a higher glycemic index than table sugar.In today’s episode of my series I’m calling Health Bites, I talk about why grains are such a contentious food, how to tackle the pros and cons of whether it belongs in your diet, and which grains are actually okay to eat. This episode is brought to you by Mitopure and LMNT.Support the growth of new, healthy mitochondria and get 10% off Mitopure. Head to timelinenutrition.com/drmark and use code DRMARK at checkout.Right now, LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any purchase. Head over to DrinkLMNT.com/hyman today.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):You don’t have to eat grains to be healthy (8:40 / 5:41)“Whole grain” is a marketing term (10:31 / 7:32)Why starch and sugar are essentially the same thing (11:22 / 8:23)You’re not eating the same grains your grandparents ate (11:58 / 8:59)Is oatmeal good for you? (14:22 / 11:23)Should everyone avoid gluten? (15:36 / 12:37)Not all grains are bad (20:02 / 17:03)Do we really have to give up bread? (21:09 / 18:10)What types of grains are okay and what should be avoided? (23:20 / 20:21)Who should avoid grains altogether? (24:59 / 22:00)