The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
How To Stay Asleep And Sleep More Deeply
Not only does poor sleep make you less productive and uncomfortably tired, but it can also wreak havoc on your hormones and health. Yet so many patients tell me they often find themselves awake between 1:00 am and 4:00 am. There are many factors that can contribute to sleep issues, but the two most common culprits threatening your sleep-wake cycles are unregulated blood sugar levels (or poor nutrition status) and chronic stress.
In today’s episode of my series I’m calling Health Bites, I talk all about sleep and my top tips for what you can do to stay asleep and sleep more deeply.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health and Pique.
Rupa Health is a place where Functional Medicine practitioners can access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 35 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, and Great Plains. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.
Right now you can take advantage of Pique’s limited-time special offer on your first month's supply of Sun Goddess Matcha. Just head over to piquelife.com/farmacy for 15% off plus free shipping on your first month’s supply.
Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- Symptoms of unbalanced cortisol (4:38 / 1:06)
- Melatonin production in the body (5:55 / 3:21)
- How stress affects sleep-wake cycles (6:49 / 4:13)
- Strategies to optimize nutrition to handle stress effectively and get high-quality sleep throughout the whole night (7:55 / 5:15)
Mentioned in this episode
View all episodes
782. The Next Revolution In Medicine: Scientific Wellness, AI And Disease Reversal with Nathan Price & Lee Hood01:27:38This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Kettle & Fire, LMNT, and Cozy Earth.Recent technological advances are completely changing the way we understand the body. Revolutions are happening on multiple levels–the “omics” revolution, the digitization of data, and the systems biology medicine movement. Today, I’m excited to talk to Drs. Leroy Hood and Nathan Price about the future of personalized healthcare through scientific wellness.Dr. Leroy Hood is the CEO and founder of Phenome Health, a non-profit organization developing a project called Human Phenome Initiative (HPI), based on the science of wellness, which will sequence the genes and generate the longitudinal phenomes of one million people over 10 years. He has co-founded 17 biotech companies. His many national and international awards include the Lasker Prize, the Kyoto Prize, and the National Medal of Science. He is also the Chief Strategy Officer/Professor at the Institute of Systems Biology in Seattle.Dr. Nathan Price is the Chief Scientific Officer of Thorne HealthTech and author of The Age of Scientific Wellness. In 2019, he was named one of the 10 Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine by the National Academy of Medicine, and in 2021 he was appointed to the Board on Life Sciences of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. He is Affiliate Faculty at the University of Washington in Bioengineering and Computer Science and Engineering. This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Kettle & Fire, LMNT, and Cozy Earth.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. Check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.Head over to kettleandfire.com/Hyman today to see all of their products and use code HYMAN to save 20% off your entire order.LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any purchase at DrinkLMNT.com/hyman.Get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets at cozyearth.com and use code DRHYMAN.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):Systems biology and scientific wellness (5:41 / 4:25) Three components of the human phenome (20:07 / 18:30) How big-data analytics and AI can be used to optimize health (24:30 / 22:30)The majority of health and wellness happens outside the doctor’s office (41:28 / 37:47)Educating the public about the future of medicine (43:23 / 39:21) Training AI machine learning models (52:47 / 49:11)Drs. Hood and Price’s daily health routines (1:13:49 / 1:10:12) Get a copy of The Age of Scientific Wellness: Why the Future of Medicine Is Personalized, Predictive, Data-Rich, and in Your Hands.
781. How To Address Gut Issues And Get Back To Optimal Health01:01:30This episode is brought to you by AG1, AirDoctor, HigherDOSE, and Super Simple Protein. So many people are plagued every day with uncomfortable symptoms like bloating, cramps, diarrhea, constipation, and pain that often reduce quality of life or derail daily activities. Thankfully, emerging research has helped identify the real underlying issues of digestive conditions, which means we are developing an understanding of how to actually treat—and fix—gut dysfunction.In today’s episode, I talk with Dhru Purohit and Dr. Elizabeth Boham about the importance of a healthy gut and how to treat common symptoms like bloating, malnutrition, dysbiosis, and more.Dhru Purohit is a podcast host, serial entrepreneur, and investor in the health and wellness industry. His podcast, The Dhru Purohit Podcast, is a top 50 global health podcast with over 30 million unique downloads. His interviews focus on the inner workings of the brain and the body and feature the brightest minds in wellness, medicine, and mindset.Dr. Elizabeth Boham is a physician and nutritionist who practices Functional Medicine at The UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Through her practice and lecturing she has helped thousands of people achieve their goals of optimum health and wellness. She witnesses the power of nutrition every day in her practice and is committed to training other physicians to utilize nutrition in healing.This episode is brought to you by AG1, AirDoctor, HigherDOSE, and Super Simple Protein.Head to drinkAG1.com/HYMAN to receive 10 FREE travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.I’ve teamed up with the makers of AirDoctor to give my listeners the best deal yet on this amazing filtration system. Right now, if you go to drhyman.com/filter you can get the AirDoctor filter for $329.Elevate your wellness game today by going to HigherDOSE.com. You can use promo code HYMAN at checkout or just go to higherdose.com/hyman to save 15% site-wide.Right now, you can get 10% off Super Simple Grassfed Protein by heading to drhyman.com/protein and using code protein10.Full-length episodes (and corresponding links) of these interviews can be found here:3 Things That Destroy Your Gut HealthUnderweight, Overtired, and Malnourished: How To Get Your Health Back On TrackWhy Gut Issues Are On The Rise And How To Fix ItBloating: Getting Rid Of Your Food Baby With Functional Medicine
780. Know Your Numbers: How Personalized Testing Can Optimize Your Health And Reverse Disease with Pranitha Patil01:21:03This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox, BiOptimizers, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.Doctors often order lab tests based on specific concerns, which means potential issues from hormone imbalances to nutrient deficiencies can be overlooked. Routine physicals may not capture the full picture, leaving gaps in our understanding of heart disease, cancer, and more. Standard lab tests at a doctor's office aren't comprehensive enough. However, with robust, routine lab testing and personalized insights from top medical experts, we can finally understand and manage our health. This proactive approach represents the future of your healthcare.I co-founded Function Health alongside Pranitha Patil and others. I was excited to sit down with her for this episode. Our mission is to empower people to live 100 healthy years. In our conversation, we dive deep into the importance of individualized health information, exploring topics like comprehensive cardiovascular, autoimmunity, thyroid testing, and much more.Pranitha made a bold move, leaving Harvard University's graduate school early to build Function Health. Her extensive background at Accenture saw her working closely with the largest hospital systems and health insurance providers, where she witnessed the problems with healthcare from the inside. More personally, Pranitha's own health challenges inspired her to prioritize giving people the power to own their health.Function is the first-ever membership offering access to over 100+ lab tests. It provides personalized insights from globally renowned doctors based on your results. You can join Function by securing your spot on the waitlist at functionhealth.com, to get access within a few weeks. Join Function now!This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox, BiOptimizers, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.For new members of ButcherBox, you can receive New York strip steaks for a year PLUS $20 off your first order. Go to butcherbox.com/farmacy and use code FARMACY.This month only you can get a FREE bottle of Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. Go to magbreakthrough.com/hymanfree and enter coupon code hyman10.Get 10% off Super Simple Grassfed Protein at drhyman.com/protein and use code protein10.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):Pranitha’s personal health journey (3:46 / 1:06)Optimizing your health with personalized data (8:30 / 5:58)Why normal biomarkers are not necessarily optimal (22:46 / 20:14)Comprehensive cardiovascular testing (32:50 / 29:38)Comprehensive thyroid testing (44:57 / 41:45)The prevalence of autoimmune disease and related testing (49:31 / 46:19)Women’s and men’s health testing at every stage of life (52:15 / 49:03)How I manage stress (59:04 / 56:29)Testing to assess immune and pancreatic function (1:01:51 / 58:39)Nutritional, liver, kidney, and other testing offered by Function Health (1:03:44 / 1:00:30)Correction: This episode mentions a book by Drs. Leroy Hood and Nathan Price. The title of that book is The Age of Scientific Wellness.
779. Burned Out? How To Reset Your Life And Health with Dr. Neha Sangwan01:08:50This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Pendulum, BiOptimizers, and Levels.Most of us are faced with endless pressures of work and family and a relentless barrage of tasks, to-dos, and requests, all while trying to manage our health, nutrition, and sleep. It’s easy to become overwhelmed, exhausted, anxious, and burnt out. Feeling like crap has become pervasive in our society. In fact, in 2019, the World Health Organization added “burnout” as a diagnosable medical condition. Today on The Doctor’s Farmacy, I’m excited to talk to Dr. Neha Sangwan about how to recover from any stage of burnout and build a life founded on a healthy body, mind, and spirit.Dr. Sangwan is an internal medicine physician, the CEO and founder of Intuitive Intelligence, and an international speaker and corporate communication expert. Her private practice and corporate consulting focus on empowering individuals, organizational leaders, and their teams with the tools for clear, effective communication. She addresses the root causes of stress, miscommunication, and interpersonal conflict, often healing chronic conditions such as headaches, insomnia, anxiety, depression, and burnout. She is also the author of, Powered by Me: From Burned Out to Fully Charged At Work and In Life.This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Pendulum, BiOptimizers, and Levels.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. Check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.Pendulum is offering my listeners 20% off their first month of an Akkermansia subscription with code HYMAN at Pendulumlife.com.This month only you can get a FREE bottle of Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. Just go to magbreakthrough.com/hymanfree and enter coupon code hyman10.Levels is offering an additional two free months of their annual membership. Head over to levels.link/HYMAN to learn more.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):Defining burnout and what causes it (5:35 / 3:38) Three levels of burnout (11:38 / 9:42) Exercises to asses areas of burnout in your life (14:31 / 12:35)My personal experience with burnout (28:05 / 23:58) Recovering from burnout (40:42 / 36:11) Getting out of acute burnout (45:13 / 40:49) Setting healthy boundaries to prevent and recover from burnout (48:14 / 43:43) Overcoming mind traps that keep us stuck in burnout (57:17 / 52:56) How Dr. Sangwan stays fully charged and avoids burnout (1:03:32 / 59:12) Check out the free burnout assessment tool at intuitiveintelligenceinc.com/burnout-rx. Get a copy of Dr. Sangwan’s book, Powered by Me: From Burned Out to Fully Charged at Work and in Life.
778. How To Treat High Blood Pressure And What Causes It?46:42This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, AG1, Beekeepers, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein. Blood pressure is one of the key markers of metabolic health, yet high blood pressure is very common—and the numbers are growing. Moreover, 93 percent of Americans are metabolically unhealthy. In fact, high blood pressure is often called a silent killer as it can lead to conditions such as heart disease, kidney failure, and stroke, and many people don’t even know they have it.In today’s episode, I talk with Dr. George Papanicolaou and Dr. Cindy Geyer about the seriousness of high blood pressure, the misconceptions around salt intake and blood pressure, what foods and supplements support healthy blood pressure, and overall metabolic health.Dr. George Papanicolaou is a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and is board certified in family medicine from Abington Memorial Hospital. He is also an Institute for Functional Medicine practitioner. Upon graduation from his residency, he joined the Indian Health Service. He worked on the Navajo reservation for four years at the Chinle Comprehensive Medical Facility, where he served as the Outpatient Department Coordinator. In 2000, he founded Cornerstone Family Practice in Rowley, MA. He began training in Functional Medicine through the Institute for Functional Medicine. In 2015, he established Cornerstone Personal Health, a practice dedicated entirely to Functional Medicine. Dr. Papanicolaou joined The UltraWellness Center in 2017.Dr. Cindy Geyer received her bachelor of science and her doctor of medicine degrees, with honors, from the Ohio State University. She completed her residency in internal medicine at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NY, and is triple board certified in internal medicine, integrative medicine, and lifestyle medicine. She joined The Ultrawellness Center in 2021 after practicing and serving as the medical director at Canyon Ranch for 23 years.This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, AG1, Beekeepers, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein. Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.Head to drinkAG1.com/HYMAN to receive 10 FREE travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.Go to beekeepersnaturals.com/HYMAN and enter code HYMAN to get Beekeeper’s Naturals' exclusive offer of 20% off sitewide.Right now, you can get 10% off Super Simple Grassfed Protein by heading to drhyman.com/protein and using code protein10.Full-length episodes (and corresponding links) of these interviews can be found here:Dr. George PapanicolaouDr. Cindy GeyerDr. Mark Hyman
777. How To Eat Well For Less Money23:32This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Joovv, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.The food industry wants us to believe that cooking is difficult, time-consuming, inconvenient, and expensive. And knowing we all have busy lives, fast food manufacturers and grocers lure us into convenient, heavily processed meals that take a toll on our waistline, our overall health, and, believe it or not, our budget. Today, over 50 percent of meals are consumed outside the home. We’ve raised several generations of Americans who don’t know how to cook. And it’s killing us.In today’s episode of my series I’m calling Health Bites, I discuss how to reconnect with your kitchen and just how inexpensive eating healthy and preparing your own food can be. This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Joovv, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.For a limited time, get an exclusive discount on Joovv’s Generation 3.0 devices (some exclusions apply). Go to Joovv.com/farmacy and use the code FARMACY.Right now, you can get 10% off Super Simple Grassfed Protein by heading to drhyman.com/protein and using code protein10.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):Challenges to eating healthy (2:58 / 1:28)The expensive cost of cheap food (9:26 / 7:18)Eating healthy for less (12:35 / 9:50)Dispelling common “healthy eating on a budget” myths (14:58 / 12:10)Strategies for eating well on a budget (17:08 / 14:58) Mentioned in this episodeEnvironmental Working Group (EWG)’s Good Food on a Tight BudgetEWG’s Dirty Dozen ListThrive Market
776. The Power Of Psilocybin To Heal Our Minds And Our Bodies with Paul Stamets01:28:51This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Sensate, ButcherBox, and Thrive Market.We’re in the midst of a psychedelic renaissance. Compounds that have long been considered recreational drugs by conventional standards are finally being recognized through science as powerful tools for overcoming hard-to-treat health issues like PTSD, depression, addiction, and more. Today on The Doctor’s Farmacy, I’m excited to talk to my good friend and one of the world’s most renowned mycologists, Paul Stamets, all about psilocybin and how this compound is helping us reimagine our way of treating one of the most important public health crises today—mental illness. Paul Stamets is a speaker, author, mycologist, medical researcher, and entrepreneur and is considered an intellectual and industry leader in fungi: habitat, medicinal use, and production. His breakthrough research has created a paradigm shift for helping ecosystems worldwide. He has received numerous awards, including Invention Ambassador for the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the National Mycologist Award from the North American Mycological Association (NAMA), and the Gordon & Tina Wasson Award from the Mycological Society of America (MSA). In 2020, Paul was inducted into the Explorer’s Club. He has been awarded myriad patents in the field of mycology. Paul is the founder and sole owner of Fungi Perfecti, LLC, the maker, and marketer of the category-leading myco-supplement Host Defense line.This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Sensate, ButcherBox, and Thrive Market.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.Head on over to getsensate.com/Farmacy and use code FARMACY to get 10% off your Sensate device today.For new members of ButcherBox, you can receive New York strip steaks for a year PLUS $20 off your first order. Go to ButcherBox.com/farmacy and use code FARMACY.Thrive Market is offering 30% off your first order and a free gift of up to $60 if you sign up now! Head over to thrivemarket.com/Hyman today.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):Why we should care about mushrooms (6:50 / 4:39)Why mushrooms are the zeitgeist of our time (12:35 / 10:00) Health benefits of mushrooms (13:54 / 12:07) How psilocybin works in human brains (29:34 / 25:48) Psilocybin as treatment for mental health and addiction (33:07 / 28:55) Specific psilocybin molecules that influence us neurologically (40:04 / 35:46)Research on psilocybin for mental health issues (51:58 / 48:06)The Stamets Stack microdosing method (1:02:41 / 58:57)The future of psilocybin use in our society (1:15:43 / 1:11:50) A day in the life of Paul Stamets (1:20:16 / 1:16:22) Learn more at paulstamets.com.
775. Exclusive Dr. Hyman+ Functional Medicine Deep Dive: Food And Mood46:34Hey podcast community, Dr. Mark here. My team and I are so excited to offer you a 7 Day Free trial of the Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast. For 7 days, you get access to all this and more entirely for free! It's so easy to sign up. Just go click the Try Free button on the Doctor’s Farmacy Podcast page in Apple Podcast. In this teaser episode, you’ll hear a preview of our latest Dr. Hyman+ Functional Medicine Deep Dive on food and mood with Dr. Deanna Minich.To learn more about the Institute of Functional Medicine, sign up for IFM’s newsletter: https://www.ifm.org/about/free-newsletter/.Want to hear the full episode? Subscribe now. With your 7 day free trial to Apple Podcast, you’ll gain access to audio versions of:- Ad-Free Doctor’s Farmacy Podcast episodes- Exclusive monthly Functional Medicine Deep Dives- Monthly Ask Mark Anything Episodes - Bonus audio content exclusive to Dr. Hyman+Trying to decide if the Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast is right for you? Email my team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have. Please note, Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast only includes Dr. Hyman+ in audio content.
774. How Chronic Stress Impacts Your Health And Drives Adrenal Dysfunction01:16:52This episode is brought to you by Mitopure, AG1, Zero Acre, and Super Simple Protein. In small doses, stress can be beneficial. However, experiencing too much stress for too long, creates an intense demand for hormones like cortisol and adrenaline to be released. This can lead to adrenal fatigue, or adrenal dysfunction, which could result in burnout, fatigue, weight gain, and so much more.In today’s episode, I talk with Drs. Elizabeth Boham, Izabella Wentz, and Rangan Chatterjee about the link between chronic stress, cortisol, and adrenal dysfunction and how to choose joy to reduce stress.Dr. Elizabeth Boham is a physician and nutritionist who practices Functional Medicine at The UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Through her practice and lecturing she has helped thousands of people achieve their goals of optimum health and wellness. She witnesses the power of nutrition every day in her practice and is committed to training other physicians to utilize nutrition in healing.Dr. Izabella Wentz is an internationally acclaimed thyroid specialist and a licensed pharmacist who has dedicated her career to addressing the root causes of autoimmune thyroid disease after being diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis in 2009. She is the author of three books on Hashimoto’s: Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause, Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology, and Hashimoto’s Protocol. Her latest book is Adrenal Transformation Protocol: A 4-Week Plan to Release Stress Symptoms and Go from Surviving to Thriving.Dr. Rangan Chatterjee is regarded as one of the most influential doctors in the UK and wants to change how medicine will be practiced for years to come. He hosts the biggest health podcast in Europe, Feel Better, Live More, which Apple has announced as one of the most downloaded new podcasts of the past year. His first book, How to Make Disease Disappear, is an international bestseller all over the world and has sold over 250,000 copies worldwide.This episode is brought to you by Mitopure, AG1, Zero Acre, and Super Simple Protein. Support the growth of new healthy mitochondria and get 10% off of Mitopure. Head to timelinenutrition.com/drhyman and use code DRHYMAN10 at checkout.Head to drinkAG1.com/HYMAN to receive 10 FREE travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.Zero Acre Oil is an all-purpose cooking oil. Go to zeroacre.com/MARK or use code MARK to redeem an exclusive offer.You can get 10% off Super Simple Grass Fed Protein by heading to drhyman.com/protein and use code protein10.Full-length episodes (and corresponding links) of these interviews can be found here:Dr. Elizabeth BohamDr. Izabella WentzDr. Rangan Chatterjee