The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
How To Do Intermittent Fasting For Weight Loss & Better Health
Fasting is a great way to optimize your health, and it’s more approachable than you might think. It is a free tool that activates all the systems in your body to protect you, heal you, and help you live longer. Fasting can help to reduce inflammation, brain fog, and insulin resistance. It can also increase energy and bone density and activate autophagy, which is the process of cleaning out damaged cells.
In this episode of my new Masterclass series, I am interviewed by my good friend and podcast host, Dhru Purohit, about the many benefits of fasting. We also talk about the different types of fasting so you can determine if one is right for you.
Dhru Purohit is a podcast host, serial entrepreneur, and investor in the health and wellness industry. His podcast, Dhru Purohit Podcast, is a top 50 global health podcast with over 30+ million unique downloads. His interviews focus on the inner workings of the brain and the body and feature the brightest minds in wellness, medicine, and mindset.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health and ButcherBox.
Rupa Health is a place for Functional Medicine practitioners to access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, Great Plains, and more. You can check out a free live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.
Right now, when you sign up to Butcher Box today, you’ll get 2 lbs of wild-caught Alaskan salmon free in your first box plus $10 off by going to butcherbox.com/farmacy.
In this episode, we discuss (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- The top benefits of fasting (4:07 / 1:08)
- Zombie cells and their effect on aging and inflammation (7:54 / 4:44)
- Four different types of fasting (11:46 / 8:44)
- My personal experiences with fasting (19:06 / 15:58)
- Fasting’s impact on sleep (24:12 / 21:08)
- Fasting for female bodies (27:38 / 24:31)
- Questions from our community on high blood pressure, getting adequate calories, fasting during pregnancy, and more (29:32 / 26:19)
- The impact of fasting on metabolism (43:26 / 40:35)
- The role of continuous glucose monitors in personalizing diet (53:25 / 50:20)
Mentioned in this episode: