The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
How To Conquer Your Mind To Live Your Best Life with Colin O’Brady
Several months ago, I took thirty days to be by myself in a secluded Vermont cabin. I had no phone, no podcasts, no music, no TV, no work, and no company—it was just me and my thoughts. And I can’t tell you how refreshed, recharged, and centered I felt after that trip. It can be incredibly hard spending time alone with your inner self, but it’s always rewarding. That’s what today’s conversation with my good friend Colin O’Brady is all about. Colin is a ten-time world record breaking explorer, New York Times bestselling author, entrepreneur, speaker, and expert on mindset.
He is focused on sharing his hard-won wisdom to encourage others to step outside of their comfort zone and unlock their best lives. Colin’s highly publicized expeditions have been seen by millions and his work has been featured by The New York Times, The Tonight Show, BBC, Forbes, and Today. His world-renowned feats include the world’s first solo, unsupported, and fully human-powered crossing of Antarctica, speed records for the Explorers Grand Slam and the Seven Summits, as well as the first human-powered row across Drake Passage. He is a regular speaker at Fortune 100 companies like Nike, Google, and Amazon and top Universities including UPenn, Georgetown, and Johns Hopkins.
This episode is brought to you by InsideTracker, BiOptimizers, and Comvita.
Right now InsideTracker is offering my community 20% off at insidetracker.com/drhyman.
Go to magbreakthrough.com/hyman and use code hyman10 at checkout for 10% off your next order of BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough.
Learn more about Comvita at comvita.com, and enter code Hyman25 for 25% off all Manuka honey and bee products. Note: Does not apply to bundles or sale items.
Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- Colin’s solo crossing of Antarctica (7:44 / 3:27)
- The personalized nutrition food bars Colin ate on his expedition (9:37 / 6:55)
- The advice Colin’s wife gave him on the first day of his Antarctica crossing (18:51 / 15:51)
- How Colin broke out of a period of anxiety and depression (27:24 / 23:53)
- Conquering your own mind (31:18 / 27:14)
- The experience that led me to become a doctor (41:34 / 37:18)
- Facing the feeling of not having enough time (43:50 / 39:31)
- What Colin fears more than dying (47:35 / 43:22)
- Becoming unstuck from the zone of comfortable complacency (49:10 / 46:54)
- The severe burn injury that served as a major turning point in Colin’s life (54:59 / 52:00)
Learn more about Colin at colinobrady.com and get a copy of his new book, The 12-Hour Walk: Invest One Day, Conquer Your Mind, and Unlock Your Best Life, here. Get a copy of Colin’s book, The Impossible First: From Fire to Ice―Crossing Antarctica Alone, here.