The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
How CoQ10 Supports Heart Health, Prevents Migraines, And Improves Cognition
CoQ10 is a compound whose job is to help cells generate energy, so it’s no surprise there are so many wonderful benefits to getting enough of this critical coenzyme. Although you can find it in supplement form, it is also naturally produced by the body. Unfortunately, however, as you age the production of CoQ10 declines. It also declines with chronic stress, toxin exposures, and certain medications. The decreased amount of CoQ10 in your cells contributes to the gradual loss of energy that most of us experience in our thirties and beyond.
In today’s episode of my series I’m calling Health Bites, I am talking all about coenzyme Q10, also known as CoQ10—what it is, what it can do for us, and how to ensure we are getting enough of this critical nutrient.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health and Athletic Greens.
Rupa Health is a place where Functional Medicine practitioners can access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, and Great Plains. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.
AG1 contains 75 high-quality vitamins, minerals, whole-food sourced superfoods, probiotics, and adaptogens to support your entire body. Right now, when you purchase AG1 from Athletic Greens, you will receive 10 FREE travel packs with your first purchase by visiting athleticgreens.com/hyman.
Here are more details from the episode (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- What exactly is CoQ10? (3:42 / 1:32)
- Statins, muscle aches and pains, and CoQ10 production (4:20 / 1:55)
- How your body makes energy (5:14 / 2:40)
- The scientific discovery of CoQ10 (6:05 / 3:30)
- Benefits of CoQ10 (6:27 / 3:56)
- CoQ10 and heart health (7:40 / 5:10)
- Treating and preventing migraines with CoQ10 (8:51 / 6:18)
- CoQ10, insulin sensitivity, and blood sugar (10:02 / 7:29)
- Slowing and reversing Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease (10:34 / 8:00)
CoQ10-rich foods and supplements (11:30 / 8:58)