The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
How Climate Change Is Making Us Sick And What We Can Do About It with Amanda Ravenhill
I recently took a life changing trip to Antarctica to see what is really happening to our environment as the result of climate change. Before you roll your eyes or gloss over this episode, I want you to understand this: Climate change is not just floods, droughts, a hotter planet, and deadly weather events, which are all scary enough to think about. It affects our whole body health—impacting chronic disease, infectious diseases, our food supply, our mental health, and so much more.
On my way to Antarctica, I had an important conversation with my friend Amanda Ravenhill about one of the most critical aspects of climate change and human health—our food system. We also dive into why apathy around climate change is so dangerous.
Amanda is an active member of the international community focused on addressing imminent global challenges. She is the Co-Founder and Founding Executive Director of Project Drawdown, the most comprehensive plan ever proposed to reverse global warming.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, InsideTracker, and Mitopure.
Rupa Health is a place where Functional Medicine practitioners can access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, and Great Plains. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.
InsideTracker is a personalized health and wellness platform like no other. Right now they’re offering my community 20% off at insidetracker.com/drhyman.
Mitopure is the first and only clinically tested, pure form of a natural gut metabolite called Urolithin A that clears damaged mitochondria away from our cells and supports the growth of new, healthy mitochondria. Get 10% off at timelinenutrition.com/drhyman and use code DRHYMAN10 at checkout.
Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- Why you should care about climate change if you care about your health (7:06 / 3:51)
- Overcoming apathy to feel empowered about climate solutions (12:01 / 7:10)
- Our food system is the number-one driver of and solution to climate change (14:36 / 11:10)
- Eating and shopping regeneratively (25:22 / 20:05)
- Reframing carbon and its potential to promote planetary life (30:29 / 25:38)
- The role of government and corporations in helping to create climate solutions (32:33 / 27:37)
- The case for investing in women farmers (36:38 / 32:03)
- Applying corporate personhood to grant personhood to rights to nature (44:46 / 35:38)
- What you can do on an individual level to support the regeneration of climate (49:18 / 44:22)
- Shifting the climate conversation from one of despair to one of hope (56:28 / 51:53)
Learn more about Amanda Ravenhill at amandajoyravenhill.com.