Share

cover art for    Where did Jeffrey Donaldson’s fortune go – and can he afford an appeal?

The BelTel

Where did Jeffrey Donaldson’s fortune go – and can he afford an appeal?

Former DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson earned massive sums over a successful career. But the Belfast Telegraph understands the now convicted pedophile's fortune is ebbing away – and that he still has a mortgage on his Dromore home.   

He has to pay a legal bill of half a million pounds – can he afford an appeal?  

Ciarán Dunbar is joined by Sam McBride. 

More episodes

View all episodes

  • Jon Burrows and the UUP in a fix as Mike Nesbitt resigns

    20:54|
    The UUP's Mike Nesbitt has resigned as health minister – with a stinging public resignation letter aimed at his UUP leader Jon BurrowsThe row is over retaining emergency general surgery at the Causeway Hospital in Coleraine. The Northern Trust had recommended its closure, despite widespread local opposition.Jon Burrows told a public meeting in Coleraine that he wouldn't support any closure – despite the health minister being a UUP man.  Mike Nesbitt is understood to have asked his leader to publicly move away from that position, but Jon Burrows refused.What's going to be the outcome of all of this for the UUP? Ciarán Dunbar joined by the Belfast Telegraph's political editor, Suzanne Breen.
  • 'It’s Over’: The 1994 IRA 'ceasefire'

    32:13|
    After 25 years of what it termed ‘Armed Struggle’ and the ‘Long War’ , the Provisional IRA called a “complete cessation of military operations” on 31st August 1994 – 30 years ago. By that stage, the organisation was responsible for the deaths of 1,700 people. Ciarán Dunbar is joined by Journalists Brian Rowan and Allison Morris, Former Belfast Telegraph Editor Ed Curran and historian Fearghal Mac Bhloscaidh. This episode was originally published in August 2024.
  • Families search for truth over 1983 south Armagh murders

    29:06|
    Paddy Mackin and Eamon MacMahon's bodies were found on the morning of the 13th of July, 1983.  They both had been blasted with a shotgun as close range.   The murders of the 34 year olds were first blamed on INLA leaders Dominic and Mary McGlinchey. But their families don’t believe that – they believe “other republicans” were involved.  They claim that an informer recruited by Captain Robert Nairac helped set up their loved ones. They say this man later fled Northern Ireland after Freddie Scappaticci tipped off MI5 that his identity had been compromised.  The story was broken by our political editor, Suzanne Breen. 
  • Culture war rages in the wake of Prof Jason Arday resignation

    36:24|
    UPDATE: Professor Jason Arday was found deceased in London on Friday afternoon. He was found at an address in Battersea and pronounced dead at the scene. At 37, Jason Arday became the University of Cambridge’s youngest black professor.  However, he found himself at the center of a plagiarism accusations which cast a shadow over his career – and thrust him into the international limelight.   Parts of his CV were rubbished, and his most implausible claims about his personal life and achievements ridiculed.   Arday resigned from Cambridge last week saying he was under an "unrelenting level of public scrutiny and personal attack".  The controversy sparked intense debate.  While allegations against Arday became a focal point for right-wing press and far-right groups online, many academics argued the case has been caught up in a wider culture war.   Ciaran Dunbar is joined by Kurtis Reid, to talk about Jason Arday – what he says, and what his detractors and defenders say. 
  • Fleadh Cheoil hailed as an enormous success for Belfast

    40:25|
    Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann took over Belfast City Centre for over a week drawing huge crowds.  The all-Ireland traditional Irish music competition and festival has been near universally hailed as an enormous success. It has been cited as having made a massive cultural, social, and economic impact on the city.  How much money was made? What impact will it have on the Fleadh, and can any lessons be learned? Ciarán Dunbar is joined by Belfast Telegraph reporter, and fleadh veteran, Liam Tunney, and by Business Editor Margaret Canning. 
  • Inside the court as alleged godfather Daniel Kinahan charged and jailed 

    19:45|
    Daniel Kinahan sounded bemused when he described the frenzy around his life as “movie stuff”, but the scenes that accompanied his trip back to Ireland were undeniably cinematic. A trip on a €53m government jet that was tracked by the public in real-time, a ring of steel around parts of Dublin as he was escorted in a bomb-proof convoy, and a long-awaited appointment at the Criminal Courts of Justice.  Perhaps the most surprising aspect, however, was the alleged criminal kingpin’s affable back and forth with the judge.  So, where does Daniel Kinahan go from here?  The Irish Independent’s news and security correspondent, Robin Schiller, was present to see it all unfold. He joined Kevin Doyle to break it down. 
  • 'Where have all the Prods gone?': 'Exodus' from Londonderry 'ignored'

    29:08|
    The Protestant exodus from Londonderry's cityside was ‘largely ignored or denied’ according to a new report.Its authors say they would like to see 'acknowledgement’ and 'acceptance' of the massive population shift and its causes.    A report says the mass movement from the west to the east bank of the Foyle was not down to "one event or cause” — but violence had a “major impact”.   The report is called “Where have all the Prods gone?” Conflict and Displacement — The PUL Exodus and its impact in Londonderry.  Ciarán Dunbar spoke to the report's author Terry Wright, and to Brian Dougherty, CEO of the North-West Cultural Partnership which commissioned and published it.   
  • Mystery as News Letter editor Ben Lowry dumped – and won't be replaced

    31:00|
    Ben Lowry is no longer the editor of the News Letter. The outspoken commentator was removed from his position without explanation. Mr Lowry had spent 19 years at what is the world's oldest continuously published English language daily newspaper. The 288-year-old unionist paper now appears to be drifting without an editor at the helm. The Belfast Telegraph has been told that staff are shocked and dismayed by the departure but the paper’s new owner has declined to answer questions about what is going on amid claims there was a row about possible Irish Government funding. I’m joined by the Belfast Telegraph’s Northern Ireland editor, and former political editor at the News Letter, Sam McBride. 
  • New IRA: Republican terror group active on both sides of the border

    24:32|
    The seizure last week of a bomb containing almost 400g of Semtex plastic explosive has put the New IRA back on to the front pages after a lull in violence.Two people connected to the political group Saoradh have been charged in relation to the incident. The sophisticated device has fuel fears that the group has gained access to fresh stocks of military-grade explosives.The New IRA has been long been associated with but the group also has a presence in Dublin.Who are the New IRA and what are they capable of? Ciarán Dunbar is joined by Robin Shiller, News and Security Correspondent with the Irish Independent.