The Beesotted Brentford Pride of West London Podcast
Ivan Toney – Unfiltered Facts or Unnecessary Attention?
Ivan Toney broke his silence about his betting ban from football, and from Brentford, when he appeared as a guest on the popular podcast Diary of a CEO, which is hosted by entrepreneur Steven Bartlett. Toney opened up about growing up in Northampton, his strong bonds with his family, signing for, then being rejected by, Newcastle United, as well as getting his career back on track at Peterborough United and his move to Brentford Football Club, where he has made his name as one of the best strikers in the Premier League.
Ivan talks about the positive, special, environment at Brentford, and it is clear he has enjoyed his time with The Bees – the interview also focuses on his gambling addiction after being charged for 232 breaches of the FA's betting rules, which is where the player struggles to explain his actions or seemingly take responsibility for not being available for half of the 2023/24 Premier League season. There is also no hint of an apology to his club, his team mates or Brentford supporters, who won't see him in action again (unless he moves on) until the end of January 2024.
In this edition of Beesotted The Pride of West London podcast we cover Ivan's interview in depth – Brentford fans Ali Mullaley, Luis Coghlin join host Dave Lane in the studio, with several other Brentford fans contributing to the hour-long show. We also hear from former Crystal Palace chairman, Simon Jordan, who spoke at length about the Ivan Toney situation on his TalkSport show earlier this week, which gives a fascinating insight from a club-owner's perspective.
By appearing on the Diary of a CEO podcast this week, Ivan has knowingly opened the whole tin of worms up once more, and it is only right that we, as Brentford fans, take this opportunity to discuss how it affects us as a football club now our prize asset is openly talking about the next phase of his career, the ban that is preventing him playing for us and his move away from our club.
View all episodes
Nottingham Forest 1 Brentford 1 - post-match podcast35:28Lively match which saw Forest go down to ten men. Bees take the lead. Forest equalise. Then the alamo as Brentford threw the kitchen sink at forestwe spoke to Bees and Forest fans in the stands and the pub straight after the match
Bees’ Arsenal Performance Lights Up Everton Gloom - Nottingham Forest v Brentford Pre-Match Podcast01:19:36Two games in four days saw two defeats for The Bees. But the two losses could not be further from each other. Everton was a complete disaster. Whereas Arsenal could consider themselves lucky to have got away with not being knocked out the cup. The Beesotted crew of Billy The Bee Grant (@BillyTheBee99), Ali Mullalley (@alimullaley), Lewis ‘Sherlock’ Holmes and Matt The Allard Allard (@TheMattAllard) got together to discuss all things BrentfordJonathan JB Burchill (@Jonathan77777) gave some interesting League Cup facts and funkWe heard from fans straight after the final whistle of the Everton and Arsenal matchesJacob Gowler from @BeesBreakdown gives us the statistical lowdown of the Everton match and looks forward to Forest Plus Adam Wiklow from Red Side of the Trent (@RedSideTrent) tells us exactly what’s going down in Forest land
996. Brentford 0 Arsenal 1 - post-match podcast from the stands15:54A game of two halves as Brentford went out to Arsenal in the League Cup due to a defensive errorWe spoke to Bees fans and Arsenal fans straight after the match
995. Brentford 1 Everton 3 - post-match podcast from the stands21:21Bees were looking for three points after the loss at NewcastleThey didnt get themWe spoke to very unhappy fans after the match
994. Rico Injury Blow as Sticky Toffees Target West London Revival - Brentford v Everton Pre-Match Podcast01:12:04Everton travel to West London winless. Brentford return from Newcastle winless and with the devastating news that Rico Henry picked up an injury that would have him our for the rest of the seasonThe Beesotted crew of Billy The Bee Grant (@Billythebee99), Matt The Allard Allard (@theMattAllard) and Lewis The Cog Coghlin met up in the virtual joint to discuss all things Brentford. In the show today:🤕Rico Henry. How disastrous is the news of his injury? How will Brentford adapt?💷Ivan Toney linked to Arsenal for £80m. Who could we get in his place from them?📊We discussed Thomas Frank's very interesting interview on Monday night football⚫️We look back on the Newcastle match🎶JB gives us North East related facts and funk🔵Connor from Toffee Blues podcast gives us the lowdown on EvertonIf you fancy, please buy us a beer at beesotted.com/beer
993. Newcastle 1 Brentford 0 - post-match podcast from the pub14:42Brentford went to Newcastle looking for three points. They played well but fell to a sucker penalty from Callum WilsonWe spoke to fans in the pub after the match
992. Geordies Not Sure About Season Start - Newcastle v Brentford Pre-Match Podcast01:11:58Unbeaten Brentford travel to Newcastle to try and get their first three points from the Geordies in many attempts. Billy the Bee Grant is back from his travels and joins Laney in the virtual joint as they discussed the international break, Neal Maupay's return, Ivan Toney back at training, The Bournemouth match and look forward to the match at the weekendPlus Kris from the Gallowgate Shots (@GallowgateShots) podcast give us the lowdown on Newcastle UnitedBuy us a beer if you fancy at beesotted.com/beer
991. Bryan Saves The Day As Bees Draw With Bournemouth Post Match Podcast25:37A frustrating afternoon at the Gtech as The Bees had to settle for another point from a game they should have won.
991. Bakayoko, Balcombe and Bournemouth Deadline Day Podcast01:27:58On The Deadline Day Podcast we talk about the will-he-won't-he transfer deal with PSV for Johan Bakayoko after the Bees bid an eye-watering €34m-plus for the Belgum forward and Brentford's other targets and signings in the final day of the window... we look back at the point against Palace, Ellary Balcombe's heroics at the end of the midweek penalty shoot-out victory at Newport County, will David Raya play against us for Arsenal in the next round, Rico NOT getting picked for England AGAIN, the return of Ghodos and we speak with Matt from Up The Cherries who gives us the AFC Bournemouth inside knowledge ahead of this weekend's Premier League clash with his team. Joining host Dave 'Laney' Lane this episode are Charlie Briggs and Mark Bonner.