Luke's ENGLISH Podcast - Learn British English with Luke Thompson
807. Dylan, Lennon, Marx & God (with Jon Stewart PhD)
A conversation about two legends of contemporary popular culture - Bob Dylan and John Lennon, with pop-star academic Jon Stewart (guitarist in The Wedding Present and Sleeper).
👉 Episode page https://wp.me/p4IuUx-sJE
📖 Get Jon's book here https://a.co/d/fPBgTel (other bookshops are available)
Jon Stewart is an interesting mix. He is both a university lecturer and a pop star. He runs a Masters Degree course in Music Business and Popular Music Practice at the BIMM Institute in London and he also plays guitar for legendary British group The Wedding Present, AND classic 'Britpop' band Sleeper. So, Jon knows all about the music business from both a personal and academic point of view.
In this conversation I ask Jon about his new book "Dylan, Lennon, Marx and God" which is an amazing dual-biography of John Lennon and Bob Dylan, two of the most significant figures in contemporary popular culture.
Jon talks about the way Dylan and Lennon used language in their work, the references they make to the culture they grew up in, including their spiritual and political views.
Jon also talks about his time as a musician, including working with Elvis Costello and George Michael, and a funny story about John Lennon's "Imagine piano".
I hope you find this conversation as fascinating as I did. If you like it, consider getting a copy of Jon's book!
View all episodes
846. Topic Tombola with James 🎧02:30:46"The Glib Brothers" reunite on the podcast to discuss more music, films, books, scary AI and UFO sightings. James is my older brother and he's probably been on this podcast more than any other guest. Listen for another deep and humorous conversation with lots of cultural reference points.Episode page https://www.https://teacherluke.co.uk/2023/10/03/846-topic-tombola-with-james/Glytek Audio on Spotify https://open.spotify.com/artist/1trBdNNHMafKfWxaXDdUBf?si=2L2beuujSkWU0mAeHYcTNw
845. Using ChatGPT as a Language Teaching Tool 🤖 with JOE DALE, EdTech Guru, ChatGPT Enthusiast01:47:57TECH TALK! A conversation with Joe Dale (modern foreign language teaching consultant, EdTech guru) about the use of ChatGPT in English teaching and learning. Lots of recommendations, tips and tricks for saving time and combining ChatGPT with other software including Google Chrome extensions. 💻 For a list of all the Google Chrome extensions and other software, click here (episode page on my website) 👉
844. Improve Your Pronunciation with Luke Nicholson - Accent Coach01:45:42A conversation with accent coach Luke Nicholson, including lots of insights, advice and conclusions about improving your pronunciation in English.👉 Episode page https://teacherluke.co.uk/2023/09/19/844-improve-your-pronunciation-with-luke-nicholson-accent-coach/🔗 Luke Nicholson's websiteswww.improveyouraccent.co.ukwww.funetics.com
843. The Birth of Our Son01:29:48Talking to my wife (and daughter) about the birth of our son, who came into the world just a few weeks ago. We describe what happened, and explain how it feels to become parents for the second time. This is a very personal, first-hand account of childbirth and the experience of bringing a child into the world. Watch out for the vocabulary of childbirth and children which has previously been explained in episodes 162, 491, 492 and 814. Episode page on my website https://teacherluke.co.uk/2023/08/31/843-the-birth-of-my-son/
842. A Pre-Baby Summertime Ramble ☀️👶01:36:18Hang out with me for an unscripted and unedited ramble about things like engaging moments while teaching English, how it feels to be about to become a father again, a funny new recording of my daughter speaking English, some recent films I've seen, and a recording of me doing stand-up comedy in front of an audience recently. Episode page https://wp.me/p4IuUx-sRi
841. A Conversation about MONOPOLY 🎲🏠💰 with Anna Tyrie01:38:03Monopoly is one of the most famous board games of all time.It's sold in more than 114 countries and has been printed in more than 47 languages.It's famous for causing arguments and taking forever to finish!But it is a fantastic and fascinating game, so let's talk about it.In this episode I talk to Anna Tyrie from English Like a Native about childhood memories, rules that people don't follow, winning strategies, the real history of the game and more!I guarantee that with this episode you will learn new things about Monopoly.Episode page 👉 https://wp.me/p4IuUx-sQqListen to Anna's episode with Luke about board games 👉 https://www.buzzsprout.com/2038858/13484501
P52 [2/2] A Phrasal Verb a Day Anthology (Episodes 141-155) PRONUNCIATION40:28Pronunciation practice for the phrasal verbs in part 1 of this series. Please listen to PART 1 before you listen to this!PDF and video versions available 👇📄🎁 Open the PDF (phone version) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/P52-2_2-A-Phrasal-Verb-a-Day-Anthology-Episodes-141-155-PRONUNCIATION-Phone-Version.pdf📄🎁 Open the PDF (normal size version) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/P52-2_2-A-Phrasal-Verb-a-Day-Anthology-Episodes-141-155-PRONUNCIATION-Computer-Version.pdf📼 Video version https://youtu.be/g-jNrtWUmV0📼 LEP Premium video playlist on YouTube https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAy2UiT23ET3Jrf7KPX73QOoSIQUryLXf
P52 [1/2] A Phrasal Verb a Day Anthology (Episodes 141-155)01:08:13A compilation of mini phrasal verb episodes that were previously only available in the old version of LEP Premium. Here are 15 mini-episodes with phrasal verbs starting with P, all in one single episode.PDF and video version available. Links below. 📄🎁 Open the PDF (phone version) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/P52-1_2-A-Phrasal-Verb-a-Day-Anthology-Episodes-141-155-Phone-Version.pdf📄🎁 Open the PDF (normal size version) https://teacherluke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/P52-1_2-A-Phrasal-Verb-a-Day-Anthology-Episodes-141-155-Computer-Version.pdf📼 Video version https://youtu.be/HEb92KFmqI4📼 LEP Premium video playlist on YouTube https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAy2UiT23ET3Jrf7KPX73QOoSIQUryLXf
840. Things that make you go "Hmmm" 🤔😅 Life, Laughter & Learning English01:33:23Here is a list of curious mysteries, jokes and observations about the English language and life in general. I talk about each interesting point, give some funny comments and explain bits of English vocabulary in the process. Expect to learn a few things, and have a bit of a laugh in the process 🙂.Episode page with text https://wp.me/p4IuUx-sPU