The Talent Economy Podcast
What You Won't Know Until You Try
Jumping into the talent economy can definitely feel like a daunting step. There’s a stigma around leaving a cushy full-time corporate job to jump into the uncertainty of the freelance world.
Look at it this way: You don’t know what you’re missing until you give it a shot.
With the explosion of freelance workers and the imminent decline of full-time work, nothing is really as “secure” as it seems. At this point, it’s just as risky to stay in a full-time corporate job as it is to freelance.
In this episode, I talk with Jonny Dunning, the founder and CEO of the on-demand workforce management system Talon. This talent management platform helps freelancers live up to their fullest potential while helping companies find the experts they need to survive and thrive in the changing world.
Jonny and I talk about the risks and rewards that come with diving into the freelance lifestyle, how companies utilize on-demand workers, and what the future of freelancing with these on-demand talent platforms looks like. Throughout our conversation, Jonny shares insights into why more and more companies are shifting away from using staffing firms to hire talent, how a workforce management system benefits the freelancer and the company, and how the future of work affects every generation of workers differently.
Get ready to learn about the shifting nature of work and figure out if it’s the right time for you to dive into the talent economy.
Some questions I ask:
- How did you make the decision to leave college and start traveling?
- How did you get your job at Jobsite?
- Have you seen a change in the way that people are looking at working?
- How do you help companies navigate their need for faster access to talent?
- What led you to found Talon?
- What’s the difference between freelancing and staffing programs?
- What do the next five years look like for Talon?
In this episode, you will learn:
- Why it’s important to buck the trend and test your limits once in a while.
- How the shift to on-demand work spans generations.
- How global workforces like Toptal integrate with staffing companies and freelance management systems.
- Why companies are now shifting to hire talent based on quality rather than cost.
- How the job board markets and on-demand talent economy are evolving in similar ways.
Connect with Jonny Dunning:
About The Talent Economy Podcast:
Companies today face a global war for talent. Highly skilled on-demand talent demand flexibility around the way they work and live. This future of work podcast brings together thought leaders, staffing experts, and top freelancers to talk about the evolving nature of work, the future of freelancers, and how companies can navigate these changes to remain competitive, drive innovation, and ensure success.