The Talent Economy Podcast
The Importance of Learning How To Learn
So, you’ve earned your college degree, but have you actually learned how to learn?
Continuously reskilling within the workforce is essential to keeping up with our rapidly changing world of work. Without understanding how and when to reskill employees, everyone falls behind. That’s what makes freelancers stand out in the crowd: They’re constantly reskilling for the future and revamping their expertise in areas where others have failed to keep up.
In this episode, I talk with Dr. Greetje “Gretta” Corporaal about the value of constantly learning and improving within the talent economy. Gretta is a sociologist of work & organizations at the Oxford Internet Institute. Her research focuses on the rise of online labor platforms, specifically how companies embrace talent platforms to bring remote workers into the company.
Throughout the conversation, Gretta and I discuss why freelancers are so adept at continuous reskilling. We dive into why companies need to engage these freelancers and what the future holds for workers around the globe.
Get ready to learn about the value of digital reskilling within the workforce industry from both a company and an individual perspective.
Some questions I ask:
- What surprised you about companies that were starting to embrace on-demand talent platforms?
- What is the 3S Framework?
- What is the World Economic Forum?
- How should people be thinking about the future of the way they work?
In this episode, you will learn:
- What motivates firms to adopt online labor platforms.
- How social contracts help prevent societal instability.
- What labor economists can learn from platforms about talent upskilling.
- Why managing freelancers is fundamentally different from managing employees.
Connect with Gretta Corporaal: LinkedIn