The Talent Economy Podcast
How To Build A Strong Culture & Community When Working Remote
This week, we are launching Toptal’s “Rise of Remote” series, a special edition of The Talent Economy Podcast, featuring advice and perspectives from experts in remote work. Prompted by the COVID-19 pandemic that has accelerated the gradual advance of remote work into a stampede, we thought it was extraordinarily relevant to create a special series dedicated to hearing from experts on how to succeed when working remotely. We continue the conversation with Toptal’s VP of Talent Operations, Christy Schumann.
Christy is accountable for ensuring successful client outcomes by delivering the right talent from our global network, matched to client business needs and timeframe. She spent more than a decade in management consulting at Bain & Company and later joined Rackspace as general manager of their cybersecurity business.
Christy and I discuss remote work productivity, the importance of defining success for your team, remote work tools, Toptal’s strong culture, and her predictions on what the future holds for the global workforce.
Questions I ask:
- What remote work tools does your team at Toptal use for real-time communication?
- How are you making sure that everyone is being productive and key initiatives are tracking?
- What advice would you give to other executives and managers who are trying to figure out how to run their teams as efficiently and successfully as possible right now?
- As an executive leader, how do you help teams and team members who might be new to remote?
In this episode, you will learn:
- About Christy’s previous work at location-based organizations and her experience going remote.
- What makes Toptal different form other remote companies.
- About Christy’s role as the VP of Talent Operations and the operations process.
- About the clients’ experience working with Toptal’s fully remote model.
Connect with Christy: