Strategy as Practice - Profit and Purpose
Join the discussion with the Chairman at BP and Novo Nordisk Helge Lund, Professor Lars Huemer, and the host, Thomas Borgen, who will talk about balancing an impactful purpose with profitable execution and how this is linked to the latest research.
Industry guest, Helge Lund is the Chairman at BP and Novo Nordisk. Helge was a chief executive of BG Group when it merged with Shell, and served as top leader in other large energy and industrial companies.
Lars Huemer is a Professor in Strategy and Entrepreneurship at BI and has been a visiting scholar at University of Technology Sydney, Universidad Adolfo Ibanez Chile, and UC Berkeley. He specializes in research on cooperative strategy, value creation, networks, and trust. He is also the Dean for the executive energy master program, a joint program between BI and IFP School in Paris.
View all episodes
1. Strategy as Practice- Lessons from serial acquisitions49:02Join the discussion with Visma’s Executive Chairman Øystein Moan, Professor Helene Colman, and the host, Thomas Borgen, talk about the main learnings from Visma’s post-M&A integrations and how they are linked to the latest research. Øystein Moan is the Executive Chairman of Visma, the company delivering software solutions within accounting, invoicing, procurement, and administration for the private and public sectors. As CEO, Øystein grew Visma from 300 to more than 8000 employees in 22 years and did hundreds of acquisitions along the way. The academic guest is Helene Colman, professor at the Department of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at BI. She specializes in research about post-M&A integration and international strategies, particularly focused on organizational identity, managerial agency, and capability building. She also teaches M&A integration and strategic management.
2. Strategy as Practice- Big & Agile Organizations45:25Kristin Skogen Lund is the CEO of Schibsted, a global family of digital consumer brands across media, online marketplaces and technology ventures. Known for being a Scandinavian media powerhouse with Norwegian household names such as Aftenposten and Finn. The academic guest is Vegard Kolbjørnsrud, associate professor at the Department of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at BI, where he specializes in research about collaborative organizational design and the impact of AI in organizations. He is also a Research Fellow at Accenture, where he worked for more than 16 years in strategy consulting within high tech industries. Kristin, Vegard, and the host, Thomas Borgen, talk about encouraging innovation in Schibsted and how they have learned to adapt to the fast-evolving environment of current technology development. Are their strategies aligned with what research suggests?
4. Strategy as Practice- Global Strategy in Diversified Companies43:55Join the discussion with the CEO of Wilhelmsen Group Thomas Wilhelmsen, Professor Randi Lunnan, and the host, Thomas Borgen, who will talk about the challenges of a global company, adapting and aligning a diversified portfolio, and strategies towards the Green Transition, as well as their linkages to the latest research. Industry guest, Thomas Wilhelmsen is the CEO of Wilh Wilhelmsen, one of the largest companies in the maritime industry. Thomas has held various leadership positions within Wilh Wilhelmsen for more than 20 years. Randi Lunnan has been at BI since 1999 and was appointed full professor in 2008. From 2012 she has been Head of Department of Strategy and Entrepreneurship and is now focusing her research on the transition of ocean business into the “green” economy.
5. Strategy as Practice- Leadership and Communication in a Fast Changing Environment46:07Join the discussion with Statnett CEO Hilde Tonne, Professor Chair Per Ingvar Olsen, and the host, Thomas Borgen, who will talk about leadership and communication in a fast changing environment and how this is linked to the latest research.Industry guest, Hilde Tonne is the CEO at Statnett. Hilde has held various leadership and board positions at leading Norwegian companies. She's also Chairperson at the Research Council of Norway.Per Ingvar Olsen is Professor Chair at the department of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at BI. He specializes in research on energy, innovation, and cooperatives. Since 2015, he's been Head of Research at the Center of Connected Care at the University Hospital in Norway.
6. Strategy as Practice - Leadership Through Times48:43Join the discussion with the CEO of Gjensidige Helge Leiro Baastad, Professor Chair Ragnhild Kvålshaugen, and the host, Thomas Borgen, who will talk about the leadership strategies within large organizations to enable continuous development through long periods of time. Industry guest, Helge Leiro Baastad is the CEO of Gjensidige, one of the largest Norwegian companies in the insurance industry. Helge has been part of Gjensidige for over 25 years and has served as CEO for the last 20. Ragnhild Kvålshaugen is Professor Chair at the Department of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at BI. She has more than 15 years of teaching experience and her research areas and interests include strategic change and leadership, process and organizational innovation, and digital transformation.
7. Strategy as Practice - Leading a global organization in times of change46:36Join the discussion with the CEO of DNV Remi Eriksen, Professor Gabriel Benito, and the host, Thomas Borgen, who will talk about reasons for internationalization, local and global innovation, and DNV’s efforts in the global transformation. Remi Eriksen is the CEO of DNV, one of the largest Norwegian companies in the assurance and risk management industry. Remi has been CEO of DNV since 2015. Gabriel Benito is a Research Professor at the Department of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at BI. His research areas include foreign direct investment, structure and strategies of multinational enterprises and foreign subsidiaries, and economic organization of international business.
8. Strategy as Practice - Incumbents in a Fast-Changing Environment47:15Join the discussion with the CEO of DNB Kjerstin Braathen, Associate Professor Espen Andersen, and the host, Thomas Borgen, who will talk about technological innovation, talent attraction and development, and sustainability.Kjerstin Braathen is the CEO of DNB, one of the largest financial services companies in the Nordics. Kjerstin has been part of DNB since 1999 and got appointed as CEO in 2019. Espen Andersen is an Associate Professor in Strategy and Entrepreneurship at BI. His research areas include technology, strategy, management, and digitization. He has consulted on technology and strategy for many companies in the USA and Europe and holds a degree of Doctor of BA in management information systems from Harvard Business School.