This Is Spoke
This Is Spoke. A fresh, vibrant podcast dragging the big topics straight from the timeline to your ears. From identity to heritage to sex and dating and everything in between, we create meaningful conversations with some of the most inspiring people fr...
12. S2 E12 - 'Community' feat. Novelist & S159:26Communities are all around us, at work, college, schools and most importantly, where we live. They are the catalysts in the growth of music, culture and our identity. However, day by day, councils are making massive cuts to youth services, resulting in closed youth centres and safe spaces for many young people around the country. In this episode, Fenn and Zuu discuss the importance of community and how we can help keep them strong in trying times. Joined by music maker and producer, Novelist and Drill artist and ‘most hated’ guy, S1.
View all episodes
11. S2 E11 - 'Happiness' feat. Chris Jammer & Mim Shaikh54:45According to recent data, the happiness of 16-25-year-olds is dropping compared to those of teens from previous decades. But with people constantly documenting their lives on social media, is there any wonder anxiety and depression is on the rise? In this episode, Fenn and Zuu explore whether we are an unhappy generation and the different ways we can all become happier. Joined by the CEO of Strawberries and Creem Fest and winner of Shipwrecked 2019, Chris Jammer, and Radio 1Xtra DJ and documentary filmmaker, Mim Shaikh.
10. S2 E10 - 'The Trap' feat. Remel London & Lippy Lickshot58:51Trapping drugs has been glorified through music which, in turn, arguably perpetuates the cycle of young people, especially young men of colour, entering the world of dealing – often to a white middle-class clientele. In this episode, Fenn and Zuu are joined by television and radio presenter, Remel London and podcaster and cultural commentator, Lippy Lickshot as they explore the link between drugs and anti-social behaviour, and question why the UK is still yet to legalise cannabis.
9. S2 E9 - 'Beauty Standards' feat. Mahaneela & Naysap58:44The concept of beauty has always morphed throughout time, as society's perception of what is beautiful is influenced by broader cultural factors. However, one narrative often left out of the debate are the pressures that men also face. In this episode, Fenn and Zuu are joined by stylist and photographer Naomi Richardson, aka Naysap, and photographer and director Mahaneela as they explore rigid beauty expectations for all genders, and the media's responsibility in perpetuating stereotypes of what is beautiful.
8. S2 E8 - 'LGBTQI+' feat. Ben Hunte & Aisha Mirza01:04:21The 1969 Stonewall Riots were a pivotal moment in LGBT history, galvanising people across the world to fight for change. Today, although there's been a dramatic improvement in the treatment of LGBTQI+ people, there still is a long way to go. In this episode, journalist and DJ Aisha Mirza and BBC presenter and journalist Ben Hunte join Fenn and Zuu to discuss what has changed in the 50 years after Stonewall, and together they delve into the experiences of LGBTQI+ people of colour and explore the safe spaces are available to this community.
7. S2 E7 - 'Magic & Spirituality' feat. J Lucia & Dobby01:01:50From crystal healing methods to J Hus and Skepta referring to black magic in their tunes, young people in the UK are increasingly moving away from religious practices and towards spirituality and alternative beliefs. In this episode, Fenn and Zuu are joined by musician J Lucia and DJ and broadcaster Dobby, as they explore magic and spirituality and question why more young people are identifying as spiritual rather than religious.
6. S2 E6 - 'Money' feat. Bola Sol & Amani Simpson56:38In this episode Fenn and Zuu talk MONEY and how you can make your money work better for you! Joined by personal finance guru Bola Sol and Entrepreneur Amani Simpson, the team drop some gems that can help you get savvier with your P! Everything from ISA’s, credits cards, leveraging debt, and just better talking about money with your family and friends. So listen up and get yourself knowledgeable!