Advanced Machine Engineering by Siemens Digital Industries
Embracing a Multi-disciplinary Bill of Material
As we've learned throughout this podcast series, industrial machinery manufacturers have seen groundbreaking technological advancements in the areas of design and machine simulation.
In the first three podcasts, we talked about the evolution of technology within the machinery industry, key trends that continue to shape the industry today, and we have also introduced the Advanced Machine Engineering solution at a high level by describing two of the three key differentiators: multi-disciplinary design and virtual machine simulations & commissioning.
Today, in our final podcast of the series, Bill and I are discussing the third key differentiator of the Advanced Machine Engineering solution – multi-disciplinary Bill of Material and configuration management.
Bill Davis is the Director of Industrial Machinery & Heavy Equipment Solutions at Siemens Digital Industries Software, working to help industrial machinery customers and heavy equipment customers improve innovation and profitability through the application of the Siemens portfolio. His background is in automation, converting, and packaging machinery. His 30 years of experience in engineering and management positions have shaped how he helps their customers and their go-to-market strategy.
So, listen to Episode 4 of the Siemens Podcast on Advanced Machine Engineering, to learn how to leverage your proprietary data to create a digital thread approach to engineering and also create a competitive advantage.
Questions I ask:
- What is a managed environment and why should it be important to the machine builders and their suppliers? (02:15)
- Is complexity the only challenge around this topic of data management, or are there other areas that we need to be concerned with, as well? (07:31)
- How can Advanced Machine Engineering solution help solve these challenges? (10:25)
- Before we end this podcast, could you quickly summarize the main advantages of the Advanced Machine Engineering solution and why it should be considered by our listeners? (14:58)
In this episode, you will learn:
- The Configure to Order approach. (03:48)
- The Engineer to Order approach. (04:46)
- The importance of having a Bill of Material that represents the entire machine. (05:57)
Connect with Bill: