Slipped Disc Backchat
Welcome to the first Slipped Disc Backchat podcast with Rainer and Norman in which we pick out some of the stories that have caught our eye this week. On the show we look ahead to Arts Council funding cuts, we share our Alfred Brendel stories, we look forward to sing-a-long-a Dirty Dancing at the Fairfield Hall Croydon, sympathize with the Sinfonietta Shizuoka and much more irreverent chat.
View all episodes
8. Where's the theatre gone?31:48Rainer and Norman on this weeks news and reviews from the pages of Slippedisc.com. Including a discussion on where the theatre has gone in classical performances, political appointments in Viienna and should Kylian Mbappé have kept to playing the flute rather than scoring a hat trick int he World Cup final?
7. The demise of music magazines and string quartets34:52Rainer and Norman on the demise of classical music magazines, string quartets and an American tenor - and more classical music news from the pages of Slippedisc.com
6. Standing Os, Handmade Pianos and Sinatra's Oboe33:22More informal chat around the classical music news from the pages of Slippedisc.com as Rainer and Norman discuss whether the standing ovation is overrated, booing at buildings, has Steinway had its day, and reflect on the work of Sinatra's oboist Gene 'Cip' Cipriano.
5. Booing at the Opera and the best World Cup national anthems29:06More news, reviews and our thoughts from the pages webpages of www.slipedisc.com on the weeks classical music stories. Is it ever Ok to boo at the opera? The European Union Youth Orchestra moves home again and we bemoan another Brexit loss to UK culture,, was it OK to show Seiji Ozawa conducting Beethoven‘s Egmont overture from a wheelchair and can anyone beat the Welsh football team's anthem?
4. Vacuum cleaners and the Royal Philharmonic, moonlighting pianists and where are all the female conductors?31:04Rainer and Norman flick though the pages of Slippedisc.com to look into some of the classical music news from this week, including; gender parity in orchestras, has the BBC lost interest in young musicians and how the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra ended up playing household objects.
3. Lost Scores and Found Bottles and Violins, Grammys and Happy Barenbirthday32:43This weeks news, view and reviews from the pages of Slippedisc.com with Rainer and Norman including 70 lost violins found in a cupboard, Sibelius's lost bottle, the Classical Grammy awards and we share our Daniel Barenboim anecdotes to celebrate his 80th birthday.
2. God, who made the icing. Bake me another fine cake.32:04More classical music inspired informal and irreverent chat from the pages of Slipped Disc, in which Rainer and Norman pick over the fall out of the Arts Council cuts. Norman reveals his worst night at the ENO. Who booed a 12year old the Royal Opera House? And what exactly are the words to Land of Hope and Glory?
Slipped Disc Trailer05:20Rainer and Norman say a quick hello to introduce you to the Slipped Disc Backchat Podcast coming soon!