The Wealth Elevator
Investor Weekly News Update | May 22, 2023
Join the Hui Deal Pipeline Club and secure a personal one-on-one call with Lane! https://simplepassivecashflow.com/club
In this week’s investor news, we talked about affordable housing, why Blackstone sold a tech company and an investor question about double dipping in infinite banking.
00:24 Blackstone Sells IBS Software Stake to Apax for $450 Million
1:58 Visualized: The Decline of Affordable Housing in the U.S.
7:12 Multifamily Cap Rates Have Begun to Stabilize
9:22 Apartment Investment Sales Will Rebound in Time
15:59 Investor Question: About Accredited Investor / Infinite Banking
View all episodes
406. Weekly Investor News Update for 8/28/2023 - Rents, Texas Migration, Subway12:20Join the Hui Deal Pipeline Club and secure a personal one-on-one call with Lane!https://simplepassivecashflow.com/clubWelcome back to our Investor Weekly News Update for August 28th! Dive into the latest trends, insights, and strategies in the investment world. In this episode, we cover:🔹 The current state of rents and why they're shifting.🔹 The mass migration to Texas, especially from California - what's the real reason?🔹 The future of Subway franchises and potential changes on the horizon.🔹 Wealth-building strategies, passing on generational wealth, and the essence of entrepreneurship.🔹 A deep dive into the U.S. multifamily rent growth markets for Q2 2023.🔹 Personal anecdotes, insights, and much more!📌 Timestamps:00:00 - Introduction01:00 - Rents Update03:00 - Why is everyone moving to Texas?05:00 - The Subway Franchise Situation07:00 - Thoughts on Wealth and Entrepreneurship10:00 - U.S. Multifamily Rent Growth Markets12:00 - Subway's Potential AcquisitionDon't forget to check out our upcoming rebranding to "The Wealth Elevator" and stay tuned for the release of our new book! For a quick read, grab a copy of "The Journey to Simple Passive Cashflow" on iTunes or listen to the free audiobook version here: https://simplepassivecashflow.com/bookConnect with me:LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lanekawaoka/Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SimplePassiveCashFlow Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/simplepassivecashflow/Watch & Listen:YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX1ZU4WejBYUwvdGbBHOWzQ Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/simple-passive-cashflowSpotify Podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/1TrHc3fc8ZGw4mX3yK76rS Website Link: https://simplepassivecashflow.com/Lane Kawaoka is a multi-family syndicator who owns 10,000+ rental units and is the leader of “Hui Deal Pipeline Club” which has acquired over $2.1 Billion AUM of real estate by syndicating over $186 Million Dollars of private equity since 2016.Lane uses his Engineering degree to reverse engineer the wealth building strategies that the rich use in the Top-50 Investing Podcast, SimplePassiveCashflow.com.
405. Happiness Avenues with Kevin Roth37:50In this episode, Lane Kawaoka introduces Kevin Roth, a consultant who helps people address mindset and happiness issues. They discuss the importance of mental health and finding purpose beyond basic necessities. Kevin shares his personal journey, from a successful music career to financial challenges, a cancer diagnosis, and a profound shift in perspective. He emphasizes the significance of living minimally, prioritizing health, happiness, and security. Kevin's approach combines practical life advice with integrating spirituality to navigate challenges. They underscore the idea that true happiness arises from doing what one loves, being healthy, and practicing self-love, ultimately transcending the pursuit of excessive wealth or material possessions.
404. Investor Weekly Update - August 2111:07🏙️ Investor Weekly News Update | August 21st 📊Join us for this week's investor news update, where we dive into the evolving landscape of cities and real estate in the wake of the pandemic. From vacant offices to global liquidity shifts, here are the key highlights:🌐 Global Liquidity Shift & Rate Increases:Discover how central banks worldwide are tightening policies through rate increases and reduced money supply. We explore the aftermath of the 2008 crisis and the pandemic, which led to a liquidity surge, asset price hikes, and over 10% inflation in the US. Learn how the US Federal Reserve is addressing this with hawkish rate adjustments since June 2022.🌆 Migration Trends & Demographics:Uncover the challenges faced by major banks across the globe, including slow growth, low inflation, and aging populations. Compare this with the US advantage of even demographics, boosted by a younger workforce and immigration. Explore why investing in workforce housing is pivotal for capitalizing on the growing lower middle class.📈 S&P 500 & Corporate Profits:Delve into the potential risk signaled by the S&P 500's current trend, highlighting imbalances between corporate profits and stock prices. Understand the implications of companies not generating proportional profits relative to their stock performance.🚶♂️ Urban Exodus & Office Vacancy:Explore the accelerated urban exodus triggered by the pandemic, resulting in empty office spaces. Dive into IRS data showcasing the migration of higher earners from major US cities, and how rural areas are benefiting from this shift. Understand the impact of remote work on office attractiveness and urban return.🎉 Rebranding & Financial Strategies:Join us in the midst of exciting changes as we rebrand to "The Wealth Elevator," aligning with the release of our upcoming book. Our book breaks down financial strategies based on different wealth levels, providing practical insights for your financial journey. Experience the rebrand with fresh colors and a new logo that resonate with the book's content.📚 For more analysis, check out the recently released Quarterly Kimono Report. Join us at simplepassacashflow.com/club to gain access.Don't miss out on the insightful discussion about the future of cities, real estate, and investment strategies. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more content and stay tuned for the exciting changes ahead. Your financial journey is about to elevate! 📈🏢🏗️
403. Investor News Weekly Update | August 14, 202311:49Join the Hui Deal Pipeline Club and secure a personal one-on-one call with Lane!https://simplepassivecashflow.com/club.In this week's investor news update for August 15th, 2023, we delve into a comprehensive exploration of the market's current state, touching on both the bullish and bearish perspectives. Crowdfunding websites are under scrutiny as intermediaries between investors and deals, revealing complexities and potential pitfalls. While these platforms offer opportunities, careful consideration is needed, especially given past incidents. The real estate market's multifamily segment is experiencing shifts, with prices declining and cap rates adjusting, creating potential entry points for investors who seize the moment.An emphasis is placed on private investors dominating the landscape, while institutional investors approach with caution. The ongoing clash between fixed-rate and floating-rate financing strategies highlights differing approaches to market dynamics. Amid these trends, the market's bottom is debated, and 2025-2026 are anticipated as potential periods of growth with rising rental rates. The importance of astute investment decisions in navigating these complex conditions is emphasized, with options like development deals and the new Capital Protection Debt Fund presented.In addition, we analyze the July Consumer Price Index (CPI) numbers, showcasing a mix of insights regarding inflation. With varying data points leading up to the Federal Reserve's September meeting, inflation's impact on the economy and different sectors is dissected. As the market navigates an inverse yield curve scenario, the recent data provides both concerns and positive indications. With this comprehensive overview, investors are encouraged to stay informed and consider the evolving landscape for strategic decision-making.Connect with me:LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lanekawaoka/Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SimplePassiv... Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/simplepassi...
401. Investor Weekly News Update | August 7, 202316:56Fitch's Monumental Move: Delve into the recent seismic shift in the financial world as Fitch downgrades the U.S. debt rating from triple A to double A plus. Explore the reasons behind this historic decision and its potential implications for global markets.Economic Chessboard: Navigate the economic landscape as interest rates fluctuate, with Powell's insights suggesting a possible increase ahead. Analyze the potential effects of these rate hikes on different sectors and unpack whether we're on the cusp of a recession or just facing temporary turbulence.Insurance Challenges: Peer into the world of multifamily property owners as they grapple with soaring insurance premiums. Uncover how these hikes impact the bottom line and learn about strategies to mitigate their effects on real estate investments.Demographic Drivers: Zoom out to the global stage and discover the intriguing age shifts taking place around the world. Explore how these changing demographics are poised to influence investment choices, with generational renters and shifting workforce dynamics in the spotlight.Long-Term Investing Wisdom: Gain valuable insights from seasoned investors on long-term investing strategies. Learn how to navigate uncertainty, leverage alternative investments, and potentially seize opportunities in the midst of economic challenges.
400. Tax Evasion versus Avoidance with CPA Robert Nordlander39:57Ever wondered what it's like on the other side of an IRS audit? Join us for an illuminating discussion with Robert Norland, a former IRS special agent, who gives us an insider's view of the entire auditing process, and the difference between a criminal and civil investigation. We will unveil the veiled practices of the IRS in assessing and collecting taxes. We discuss the weighty topic of tax evasion and avoidance, and what makes an expense a legitimate business one. How often do people get flagged or audited by the IRS? What are the odds? Together with Robert, we delve into these aspects, shedding light on how technology, specifically artificial intelligence, is aiding the IRS in catching tax evasion and fraud cases. We turn the spotlight on the 2018 security act and how it brought changes to IRS tax filings. To top it off, we also discuss the indicators of fraud that the IRS watches for, giving you insights on what not to do.Finally, imagine saving money through real estate taxes. That's right! We explore the world of real estate tax incentives, how you can leverage them, and where to find resources to learn more. Special guest Robert Norland shares his knowledge on this intriguing topic. This episode is sure to be a game-changer in your approach towards tax strategies. So, buckle up to gain a better understanding of the IRS and how to navigate your tax strategy like a pro.
399. Investor Weekly News Update | July 31, 202312:05Ever wanted an insider's view on the latest in investor news? Well, you're in luck! Tune in as we dissect the Fed's decision to increase interest rates and explore how it reverberates across sectors like workforce housing. Now, you might be wondering what asset class Blackstone just unloaded? We've got you covered, as we delve into their recent decision to sell their self-storage portfolio to Public Storage for a whopping $2.2 billion - a bold move that raises intriguing questions about the asset class. But it's not all numbers and stats - we're also bringing some Hollywood to the mix. We're discussing actress Cameron Diaz's surprising decision to retire at 45, a move that is almost unheard of in Hollywood. It's a thought-provoking story that encourages us to reflect on when 'enough is enough' in our own careers and financial pursuits. We round off the episode with a sobering report from Harvard on the decreasing supply of low-cost rentals countrywide, reminding us of the enduring worth of residential real estate. So buckle up, folks! It's going to be an illuminating and engaging ride through the world of investor news
398. Development Due-Diligence - Seven Things That Went Wrong in Our Last Development with Greg Hillman55:25Ever wondered about the career progression of an engineer in the property development world? Prepare to be enlightened as Greg, a seasoned professional engineer, walks us through his intriguing journey from starting out as a design engineer to becoming a consultant, and then a pivotal player at a development firm. We also dissect the role of a property manager, stressing the crucial function of effective communication in sealing development deals. Stay tuned as we dissect the remarkable differences between development deals and existing infrastructure projects and illustrate the importance of investors conducting rigorous due diligence.This episode isn't all about careers, though. Brace yourself as we tackle the financial hurricane that hit our budgets due to the soaring lumber prices. Learn how we braved this storm by buying lumber in separate tranches and the tactics we used to minimize the damage. Take notes as we expose the sneaky tricks contractors might employ and share tips on crafting a contract that discourages such behaviors. But the ride doesn't stop here. We also navigate through the rough terrain of construction projects, discussing neighbor disputes, unplanned costs, and the challenges of managing opposition on large-scale projects.As we journey further, we explore the challenges of staffing and working with third-party professionals in the civil engineering world. We share our own encounter with a contractual claims process, emphasizing the vital role of having a professional engineer on the project. From managing insurance claims and city-related delays to dealing with the complexities of the residential workforce housing market, we leave no stone unturned. Join us as we offer you a front-row-seat to this thrilling rollercoaster ride through the world of development and engineering. So strap in, sit tight, and let's delve into this exciting world together!
397. Investor Weekly News Update | July 24, 202311:21In this week's Investor Weekly News Update for July 24th, several topics are covered. Crowdfunding Website Bankruptcy: The crowdfunding website, Nightingale Office Real Estate Investments on Cross Street, has filed for bankruptcy due to inadequate due diligence on their part. This has surprised many as crowdfunding websites were thought to act as broker-dealers, but they do carry some risks for investors. Real Estate Market Review: The new home market has been thriving in the first half of 2023, despite high mortgage rates. However, there are concerns about a potential downturn in 2024 due to a decrease in new construction projects. Top States for Relocation: Texas and Florida are the most sought-after locations for people looking to move across state lines, while Florida sees the highest volume of search queries from residents wanting to leave the state. Rising Insurance Costs: Insurance premiums for multifamily and commercial properties have been increasing due to inflation and catastrophic risks. Some locations, particularly on the Gulf Coast, have seen significant rises in insurance costs.