20. Golden Moments28:55Welcome to Sh*t Shower and Self-Care episode 20!In this episode I am joined by the truly inspirational Steve Judge. Steve takes us through his journey from a hospital bed, horrendous pain, rehabilitation all the way through to being crowned a World Champion Gold Medallist Triathlete. Steve discussed his mentality and how he overcame what could be seen as insurmountable challenges in order to get to where he is now. Now that Steve has retired from professional althletics he now works as a motivational speaker and has given talks across the world sharing his story and supporting others.Not only does Steve talk about his experiences, he writes about them too. Steve has a couple of books;One is his autobiography detailing his story in far more detail than what we could go into on the pod: https://www.steve-judge.co.uk/dont-lean-on-your-excuses-2/He has also written about his mentality and how this could be beneficial for others: https://www.steve-judge.co.uk/gold/Steve's website is also here: https://www.steve-judge.co.uk/
View all episodes
19. Britain's Manliest Man - Captain Flasheart26:31Welcome back to the Sh*t, Shower and Self-Care Podcast for part 2 of my chat with Al Pepper.Al talks about how he became crowned Britain's Manliest Man and how his experiences of testicular cancer inspired the journey to his undisputed crown.We also touch on Al's career in the airforce, his determination in the face of setbacks and how he now brings psychological skills to bring out the best of his fellow fly-boys.As always, this podcast wants to reach as many people as possible. Please feel free to comment, review, share and like. Every person we reach is another person who can spread the message - blokes, it's ok to talk.
18. Talking Bollocks (and testicular cancer)33:55Welcome to the Sh*t, Shower & Self-Care Podcast!In this episode I am joined by Al Pepper to talk bollocks!Al is a testicular cancer survivor and advocate. He talks through his journey of discovery, the importance of getting to know yourself down there and why it is so, so vital to get things checked out early!Guys, get checking and rolling. Anyone who is familiar with a guy...get checking and rolling for them. If you want to raise awareness, speak to #movember and talk to your mates and family. There might be two bollocks, but there is only one of you so get talking. As always, please feel free to comment, share and like. Every little hit helps us reach someone else!
17. Man in the middle: Who'd be a referee?34:55Welcome to the Sh*t, Shower & Self-care podcast.In this episode I'm joined by Tim Cruickshank from Sheffield Mind to discuss another side to him.There's a very good chance that if you have ever played football in Sheffield then Tim has refereed you at some point.There's also a good chance you will have heard his pre-match speech to set the tone.Tim give an insight into why he is a ref, why he enjoys it and how he still gets more from it despite some of the less than pleasant things that get said during a game.Later in the episode Tim talks about his role model, about someone who taught him about masculinity and how important it was to see himself represented in sport and in TV by perhaps the greatest of all time, especially when faced with the abhorrent nature of racism both implicit and explicit.Tim has helped to create a safe space for men to talk and for men to share when things arent going so well. Tim's advice from the last episode was "give it a go, just knock on the door" so here's the link: https://www.sheffieldmind.co.uk/news/mankind-mental-health-support-for-men
16. ManKind for Man kind32:01Welcome to the Sh*t, Shower & Self-Care Podcast!This episode I am joined by Tim Cruickshank. Tim takes me through a part of his life and experience and what led to him setting up the MenKind support group in Sheffield via Sheffield Mind. Tim is an inspiring man who demonstrates an example that our own personal actions have the power to positively influence and touch the lives of others.If you want to contact support in Sheffield or in your local area, as Tim suggests, knock on the door and ask. It isn't easy, and it is worth it. The following links may help.https://www.sheffieldmind.co.uk/supportgroupshttps://www.mind.org.uk/https://www.sheffieldmind.co.uk/
15. Barefoot Marathons35:34Welcome to the Sh*t, Shower & Self-Care podcast and the second part of my conversation with Sam Hart.Sam talks about why on earth you would do a barefoot marathon - a full connection with his values and finding something that works for him.We also touch on adversity and injury as a promising decathlete and the struggles that he experienced when something he cares for is taken away and how he has been able to reconnect to his physicality through fitness.At the end we also look at a character Jim Halpert from the US office as a role model in masculinity.
14. Insight into Education45:57Welcome to the Sh*t, Shower, & Self-Care Podcast.This episode I am joined by Sam Hart. Sam shared his passion and experience as a primary school teacher and offers some insights into how young boys discuss mental health and how he tries to understand this in his day to day work. Sam also offers some of his wisdom from his own podcast journey and reading - he hosts The Insight Podcast a wide collection of all things interesting and curious. https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-insight-podcast/id1513800480This is part 1 of my discussion with Sam...part 2 should land in the next few weeks. Take care everyone and thank you again for listening. Please share this podcast with others so we can continue to spread the word on male mental health.