The Sex, Lies & Improvisation Podcast
I want to sleep with my friend
Season 1, Ep. 5
What happens when the one that got away becomes the one that you can't get away from? Plus, is anything sexier than champagne on a yacht? Afterwards, we discuss The OC and the secret superpower that is "plot in retrospect".
9. I had another family01:05:15In this twisted show, we feel beige about strip clubs and discuss whether 'peasant food' is a compliment. Afterwards, we talk about how this show trod closer to the line of uncertainty than we would usually go, plus how behaviour that would be reasonable in the real world makes characters into arseholes.
8. I said I was a virgin01:13:57In this sexy show, we ask some difficult questions like: "does everyone deserve forgiveness?" and "who's trendier, Alex or Jesus?"After the show, stick around to find out how suspension of disbelief works on multiple levels, as well as an extended metaphor about how improv is like scuba diving!
7. I wet the bed and convinced my partner it was their fault01:13:52Did you enjoy our previous show about piss, but wished it had more piss in it? Well you're in luck! This show has it all: bedwetting, nappies, fingers in bums and a brief confusion about the difference between Rocky and the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Afterwards, we talk about how cringe comedy gives you permission to be dark and how to handle complex technical questions your characters ought to know the answers to when you (the improviser) have no clue.
6. I had sex with someone else01:24:08Whatever you're imagining, you are not prepared for this episode, which goes all the way from an argument about sausages to having sex in a cupboard under very inappropriate circumstances. After the show, we talk about how switching up the start of the show radically changes the way it unfolds, as well as the wondrous and scary feeling of being blindsided onstage.
4. We BOTH lied about our age01:21:03This episode, in true improv spirit, we try something we've never done before on a whim: what if both of us are lying? Tune in to find out! After the show, we discuss the real age gap between us and how it affects our performance.
3. I didn't wet myself, I squirted!01:15:04Even for a show with the word 'sex' in the title, this is one of our most explicit performances of all time. In the show, in addition to the obvious, can spreadsheets improve your sex life, and what exactly is the best lighting setup to film a porn video? Afterwards, we talk about how big dramatic revelations can become an opportunity for comedic callbacks, plus the value of hyper-specific suggestions.
2. I pretend I'm out for drinks when really I'm playing poker01:20:02Why do we lie to the people we love? Each episode, performers Alex Keen and Rachel E. Thorn share an unedited recording of their award-winning black comedy based on a real lie told or secret kept in a relationship, then peek behind the curtain in a candid discussion about the choices that created each performance.This episode, how big can a Christmas bonus be before it looks like money laundering? Afterwards, we talk about how numbers can disrupt your scenes!
1. I wish we had more sex01:12:34Why do we lie to the people we love? Each episode, performers Alex Keen and Rachel E. Thorn share an unedited recording of their award-winning black comedy based on a real lie told or secret kept in a relationship, then peek behind the curtain in a candid discussion about the choices that created each performance.This episode, can drugs, threesomes and pie charts fix the libido gap? After the show, we talk about how far we're willing to take an intimate scene onstage.