The Rodcast - Property, Business, Investment
Property News Update - 7th November 2023
In this episode I give a run down of the latest Property News.
I go into details of the Kings speech briefing notes on the Leasehold & Freehold Reform Bill and what each point means for property investors.
Also the points raised from the Renters Reform Bill that were written about including how the government expect to carry these out and what they mean in reality.
I also talk about the latest figures from Nationwide and Halifax House price index's.
I touch on some of the traps currently in the murky world of property tax including mitigating section 24 and also SDLT relief claims.
As I mention we are excited to bring you our Mortgage Brokerage which specialises in BTL, commercial mortgages, Bridges and Development loans. If you do have any questions about financing your properties or sites please feel free to contact myself email@example.com or my business partner Simon Das firstname.lastname@example.org
View all episodes
99. Realities of Being a Property Developer58:22I was delighted to welcome back Paul Higgs to the Rodcast.Paul was last on the Rodcast in 2020 on episode 15. If you have not listened to it please give it some of your time as it discusses Paul's amazing career from being Head of Land at Barratt Homes (The UK's biggest House builder) to his own business. https://shows.acast.com/rodcast/episodes/paul-higgs-development-land-and-planningIn this episode we discuss the difficulties of being a Property Developer in the UK and how to navigate the volatile industry including;How Paul was able to win at appeal where others had failed on a complex Greenbelt site.The realities of what the Green Belt is and what the government is doing to enable or discourage development on it.Biophilic design and why it is important.Common mistakes developers make.Managing expectations of timeframes on development deals.How the current planning system is affecting the building of new homes in the UK.As always thanks to our sponsors at www.978finance.com for making this episode possible. Please contact them for any property financing needs.
98. Purpose Built Single Family Rentals52:20Richard Berridge CEO of the UK Single-Family Association SFA https://uksfa.org/ has over 40 years experience in UK Residential Real Estate. We had a brilliant conversation centred on Richards passion for rental Houses We discussed;Richards Career and how he came to be CEO of UKSFAThe history of Build to Rent (BTR) in the UK.The current make up of BTR in the UKWho have been investing in BTR in the past and how is that changing.How the UK compares to other markets in terms of BTR and single family rental homes.The benefits of Single Family rentals for tenants and wider communities.Why institutional money have generally stayed on the sidelines when it comes to UK residential property and if this is changing.This is a must listen for anyone growing a residential portfolio in the uk.Thank you to our sponsors www.978finance.com for making this episode possible.Don't forget you can watch this episode as well as other Rodcast episodes on our youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/@rodcastITPDon't forget to subscribe
97. JV Mistakes, Due Dilligence, M & A34:31Adam Lawrence joins me in this episode to discuss Joint Ventures and the mistakes people make as well as due diligence and some info on M&A in SME property businesses.We will go into much more detail at our live workshop in London on 24th April. More info here https://bit.ly/propertybusinessworkshop2Points we cover in this episode are;Joint VenturesWhat do you want from a business partner. Where do you need to be aligned and where does it help to be different.What happens in the event of a dispute. What are typical traps business partners fall into.How can shares and what is included in Articles of Association mitigate issues.The difference between Articles of Association and a Shareholders agreement and why you may use one over the other.Why do people tend to fall into these traps when going into a business together.Some examples of what can go wrong and what to include in an agreement to mitigate the chances of that.Ensuring everyone knows where they stand in the event a dispute takes place and the mechanism that will be used to come to a decision.Key person issues.What to do if you are already in business and do not have these things in place.Utilising Trigger Events.Due Diligence on partners.How to work out if a person or company will be a good custodian of your capital.Return of Investment before Return on Investment.Evidencing what people say.Why accounts matter. Ways of dissolving companies.Online and offline due diligence.Secured and unsecured debt and how to look at both and the real leverage someone or a company is really under pressure from.Subordination and order of priorities.How do you underwrite a deal as well as a person/organisation.How to manage expectations when lending.Mergers & Acquisitions on SME property Businesses.Benefits of buying a company holding assets rather than the just the properties... It is not just Stamp duty.Negotiation points from both the buyer and seller.We will be going into far more detail on these topics at a live workshop event on 24th April in London. You can get more details for the event as well as buy tickets https://bit.ly/propertybusinessworkshop2
96. Investment Mastermind Q4 202338:11Joined again by Adam Lawrence and Manish Kataria we each pick a specific investment that anyone can do in their ISA or pension and explain the reasoning behind it.As well as our picks, we discuss;Pound cost averaging,changing a portfolio for retirementBias to home nationsHow value vs growth has performedNominal vs real numbers.How long do you hold specific investments for and what makes you make a decision to sell or not.Rod's pick is one of the Vanguard lifeStrategy funds which is 100& in equities with a bias to UK and USA. https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-lifestrategy-100-equity-fund-accumulation-shares/overviewAdam's pick is Developed countries small cap value ETF https://www.ishares.com/ch/professionals/en/products/317548/ishares-international-developed-small-cap-value-factor-etfManish's pick is an energy ETF with a weighting towards American Oil producers https://www.google.com/finance/quote/XLE:NYSEARCA?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj71Jn_sb6DAxWOQUEAHYwHCCUQ3ecFegQIKBAXFor more info about the Boardroom Club please email me email@example.comFor information about finance for property investors regarding mortgages and development& bridging loans please contact our sponsors 978 finance firstname.lastname@example.org
95. How Banks Price Mortgages - Daryl Norkett38:38I spoke with Daryl Norkett the Head of Real Estate Proposition at Shawbrook Bank, one of the biggest Buy to Let and property investment lenders to discuss how mortgages work from the banks point of view.You can also watch this episode on our youtube channel https://youtube.com/@rodcastITP?si=MbqPWAGHJEmlvcfZ please don't forget to subscribe and hit the bell icon.This episode is vital listening for investors concerned about mortgage costs and who want to understand which factors affect pricing.With the emphasis being on SWAP rates for the last year or two, hear how deposit led banks could be affecting mortgage pricing in this higher rate environmentDaryl gives a great run down of what has been happening in the mortgage market over the past 12 months.What he feels needs to happen in order for mortgage rates to go down and what the time lag between those events happening and the price cuts occurring will be.What makes some lenders pull mortgage deals while others wont need to.How the high arrangement fees on many mortgage products affect the banks risk in terms of loan to values.And lots more ...How National Insurance cuts and fiscal drag can affect property investors portfolios in different ways.- If you have requirements for Buy to let mortgages, commercial mortgages, Development loans or bridging Loans then please contact email@example.com our sponsor who has done an amazing job of financing all aspects of my portfolio.
94. Autumn Budget News for Property Investors10:57In this episode I run through the points of the Autumn Budget that are relevant to the Property Industry including parts that were not in Jeremy Hunts speech.Largest ever increases to minimum wage.LHA increased to 30th percentile of local rents.Freeze on how Business rates are calculated and the discount in leisure, retail and hospitality is extended.£3mil invested into pilot schemes to improve the process of buying and selling homes.A consultation to start early next year on a new PD right to split a house to 2 flats.Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) to increase by 6.7%.Guaranteed accelerated planning decisions on big developments in exchange for a fee.Local development orders to speed up planning decisions for key commercial developments.£110 million to deliver schemes to offset the stall on nutrient neutrality.Affordable Homes Guarentee scheme to expand by a further £3billion so HA's can access cheaper loans for developing new homes.£450 million to local authority housing fund to deliver 2,400 new homes for refugees and help homelessness.£120 million for homeless prevention.Mortgage Guarentee scheme extended for 18 months which allows buyers to borrow 95% LTV.To read the Autumn Budget notes in full you can download this document file:///Users/rodturner/Downloads/DOC-20231122-WA0019..pdfAs always thanks to our sponsors 978 Finance. If you are looking at finance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
93. Property News Update - Simon Das 17/11/2334:36I was joined by Simon Das from the award winning Mortgage brokers 978 Finance to discuss the latest Property News.Simon gives us a great update on;The Buy to Let mortgage market.Commercial mortgages and where prices are at now.Development and Bridging loan market.We also discuss;The latest inflation figures and what that means.The 7th Housing Minister in the last 21 months and what it really means for us.The planning fees increasing and whether it will change anything.Modern Methods of Construction.How rents in commercial properties are rising but the Net Asset Values are reducing.The latest guidance on Damp and Mould which can be seen here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/damp-and-mould-understanding-and-addressing-the-health-risks-for-rented-housing-providers/understanding-and-addressing-the-health-risks-of-damp-and-mould-in-the-home--2#identifying-and-addressing-damp-and-mould-in-your-property
92. The Housing Crisis - Ian Humphreys46:09I am joined in this episode by Ian Humphreys the CEO of Brickflow.Ian explains why he, along with industry experts such as Knight Frank and PWC, came up with a white paper (https://brickflow.com/solving-the-uk-housing-shortage) to present the government with.He talks about what has led to the UK having a deficit of over 4.75 million Homes and possible solutions around;PlanningFundingLand SupplyDevelopment IncentivesAffordabilitySupply Chainswhich include Technology, Modern Methods of Construction and a thorough analysis of the Green belt amongst other things. Listen to the episode for all the details.Thank you to our sponsor 978 Finance. If you do have any requirements for Buy to Let and commercial mortgages or Bridging and Development Finance they are the people to speak to. They have helped me finance some complex deals and i am happy to say that i have now bought into the business! Email email@example.com fo get more information on the best products for your deal.