Research for What?
Who Needs a Mentor?
This recording is from a live free panel discussion with three inspiring experts and scientists:
- Dr Vaishnavi Ananthanarayanan, an EMBL Australia group leader at the EMBL Australia Node in Single Molecule Science at UNSW Sydney. Previously, she was an Assistant Professor in the Centre for BioSystems Science and Engineering at the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore. She is passionate about mentorship both as a mentee and a mentor.
- Dr Marguerite Evans-Galea, Executive Director of the Industry Mentoring Network in STEM (IMNIS) at the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering and the co-founder and CEO of Women in STEMM Australia
- Dr Melina Georgousakis, founder of Franklin Women, an Australian women's organisation for women working in health and medical related careers. Melina also works as Policy and Research Manager for the Bupa Health Foundation.
The 3 fantastic panellists share their passion and experience and give lots of practical tips to find a great mentor! Some of the quotes in the chat were:
- "thank you so much .. such a great session";
- "I’m hoping to start my PhD in 2021, and have found this discussion to be hugely helpful. I will definitely be actively seeking mentors as I move forward. Very grateful to each of the speakers for your practical tips and insight!"
- "Thank you to all presenters for a wonderful session! I am one newly minted PhD grad who is now feeling very inspired!"