Rejuvenaging with Dr. Ron Kaiser
Movement is a Lifestyle, Not Just an Activity
Maintaining an active lifestyle is crucial when it comes to our wellbeing. Exercise and movement can better equip us to deal with everyday stress, and, as we all know, it can strengthen our immune system and prepares it to withstand diseases.
In today’s episode, I have a very special guest, in terms of his orientation, direction, and guidance in an area that many of us don’t think about enough. Dr. Ben is an exercise physiologist, personal trainer, and podcaster, who promotes the ethos that movement is a lifestyle, not just an activity because movement is a part of what makes our life complete. He shares some insights into why we, as a nation, don’t put too much emphasis on exercise, what we can do to encourage our kids to embrace a healthy lifestyle, and, of course, what people in the second half of their lives can do to enjoy a high-quality life.
Dr. Ben Reuter is a faculty member at California University of Pennsylvania. As an exercise physiologist, he holds certifications from the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), and the National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA). He has interests in injury prevention/performance enhancement for endurance athletes and using movement to enhance the quality of life.
Listen to Episode 44 of Rejuvenaging, to learn some suggestions as to how to keep moving at a time when we’re encouraged to stay home, and all the benefits that movement entails.
Questions I ask:
- What does movement mean? And when you encourage somebody to use movement as a lifestyle, what does that look like? (08:59)
- Are there some hints that you can give to the motivated parent who wants to raise a motivated moving child? (16:48)
- Do you have any special advice for people who are staying at home without the possibility of going to a gym or in the park to exercise? (20:58)
- What are the benefits of maintaining an active lifestyle versus not doing so? (26:11)
- How can people self-encourage themselves to keep going until they reap the rewards of exercising? (40:16)
- What are people going to hear about if they tune into your podcasts? (45:31)
In this episode, you will learn:
- Ben’s connection to sports in childhood. (03:38)
- What an exercise physiologist is. (05:16)
- Our relationship with food, as a nation. (12:29)
- The connection between overemphasizing competition in team sports and the tendency of children to become inactive in terms of exercising. (14:11)
- Movement tips for people in the second half of life. (28:49)
- The importance of having human support when you’re trying to change your lifestyle. (37:30)
Connect with Ben:
Useful Rejuvenaging Resources:
- Website: https://www.thementalhealthgym.com/
- Book: Dr. Ron Kaiser - Rejuvenaging: The Art and Science of Growing Older with Enthusiasm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TEDx Talk: Aging Enthusiastically to Make the World a Better Place