Rejuvenaging with Dr. Ron Kaiser
Marie Zoutomou-Quintanilla - There is Always a Better Tomorrow
Maintaining a positive mindset in times of adversity can seem impossible to some, especially when they feel their life is slipping through their fingers. But having faith and believing that all the hard lessons have a scope and a meaning, and visualizing what’s on the other side of the struggle can really help with overcoming almost anything.
Today, I have a real hero with me, Marie Zoutomou-Quintanilla – a cancer survivor that has become a blessing to others. We discuss how she managed to win her fight against disease, what she’s doing now to help others that go through similar experiences, and the importance of choosing self-care first and foremost.
Marie is the epitome of perseverance and determination. As a teenager, she moved to the US from West Africa - unable to speak, read, or write in English. She dabbled in entrepreneurship as a teenager by selling cookies she baked herself, and eventually, she enrolled at the University of Phoenix, ready to pursue the dream of owning her own business.
Marie turned adversity into action when, at the age of 31, she received the unexpected news of having Stage Three Breast Cancer. She had a difficult time accepting the diagnosis, especially because she knew she had led a healthy lifestyle, and the cancer was not genetic, but that didn’t stop her to keep pursuing her dreams.
According to her, God gave her another chance to life, and now, years later, she’s a tremendous motivational speaker, a volunteer – raising money every day for different cancer projects – and most important to her, she’s a mother of a healthy three-year-old girl. As another way of giving to others, Marie wrote the book “You Are Being Tested” in the hope that people dealing with cancer can be motivated to not throw their gloves, yet.
Listen to Episode 41 of Rejuvenaging, to find out more about how her positive mindset, her fierce determination, and commitment to her goals have helped Marie become a real inspiration for anyone, regardless of what they’re going through.
Questions I ask:
- Why did you move from West Africa to the US, as a teenager? (04:57)
- Where did the interest in business come from, at such an early age? (05:56)
- How did you use positivity to deal with cancer and to become resilient as you did? (06:43)
- What about the author part of you? What have you written? (17:14)
In this episode, you will learn:
- The four tools that can help you in any area of your life. (09:31)
- The importance of self-care. (11:17)
- Marie’s morning routine. (13:34)
- Free programs and resources for people fighting with cancer or for their caregivers. (15:38)
- The ways through which Marie teaches children how to build their self-esteem, self-love, and their self-confidence. (20:12)
- How Marie used a vision board to keep herself positive and optimistic while she was dealing with cancer. (23:35)
- Marie’s gift for the devoted listeners of the Rejuvenaging Podcast. (29:22)
Connect with Marie:
- Youtube Channel
- The American Cancer Society
- Book: Marie C. Zoutomou – You Are Being Tested: Do Not Worry
- Children’s book: Marie C. Zoutomou – I Will Not Be Bullied, I Will Not Bully Others
Useful Rejuvenaging Resources:
- Website: https://www.thementalhealthgym.com/
- Book: Dr. Ron Kaiser - Rejuvenaging: The Art and Science of Growing Older with Enthusiasm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TEDx Talk: Aging Enthusiastically to Make the World a Better Place