Rejuvenaging with Dr. Ron Kaiser
Giving a New Meaning and Purpose to Resilience with Kristin MacDermott
Although resilience is a word we hear a lot, most people have an incomplete definition of it; they associate it with perseverance and having the strength and the endurance to go through anything. To Kristin MacDermott, resilience is a bit more than that; it is also about using difficulties to learn about ourselves, grow, and come to the other side feeling stronger, happier, and a better version of ourselves.
Kristin MacDermott is a Resilience Expert, Family & Business Therapist, and Counselor. She is also the Founder and President at The MacDermott Method, Inc, and specializes in conflict resolution that builds resilience. Kristin holds a B.A. in History from Duke University and a Masters' Degree in Clinical Psychology from Antioch University. She is the author of "It Takes Two Minutes," an influential book designed to help people change their mindset, feel stronger and happier.
In this episode, we had an inspiring conversation about resilience, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and inner wisdom. Kristin kindly shared some details of how her principles helped her raise her own children and the results she got. We also discuss the importance of having conversations with our kids, the relevance and proper use of conversation starters, and why parents need to be honest about their feelings with their children.
Tune in to Episode 94 of Rejuvenaging, and enjoy Kristin's versatility and passion for making our planet and the people living in it better.
Some Questions I Ask:
- We talk about it all the time, but what is resilience? (3:52)
- What makes people resilient? (6:22)
- What does resilience look like with a cancer patient? How do you know you're achieving? How's that measurable? (14:18)
- What specific things do you emphasize relative to parents who have gone through a divorce and are raising kids? (21:21)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- A bit of Kristin's background and how she started her journey and passion for helping others (5:05)
- The role of self-awareness in any recovering or healing process (7:47)
- The different kinds of conversations around needs and strengths (13:18)
- The importance of meaning and purpose for cancer patients' recovery (16:04)
- Teaching our kids to trust their inner wisdom (21:34)
- Kristin MacDermott website
- Book: Kristin MacDermott - It Takes Two Minutes: To Shift Your Mindset and Build Resilience
Connect with Kristin:
Useful Rejuvenaging Resources:
- Website: https://www.thementalhealthgym.com/
- Book: Dr. Ron Kaiser -Rejuvenaging: The Art and Science of Growing Older with Enthusiasm
- Email: email@example.com
- TEDx Talk: Aging Enthusiastically to Make the World a Better Place