Queer Horror Cult
#101 - Warning: May Cause Spontaneous Cannibalistic Re-Animation, Use With Caution
This week, Lori and Aria care about the environment and are certified gangrene with a trio of pesticide-laced zombie flicks, discussing "Bloodeaters" (1980), "The Grapes of Death" (1978), and "The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue" (1974).
Audio clip from "DDT - Let's Put It Everywhere" (1946).
View all episodes
106. #106 - Peanus Peril Playbill57:12Aria and Lori get Freudian as they explore the existential concept of one's "peanus hort so bad" with the castration anxiety-inducing films "Killer Condom" (1996) and "Bad Biology" (2008).Major spoilers for both films.Audio clip from "The Whitest Kids U' Know" (2010).
105. #105 - Let the Bodies Keep the Score01:39:31Queer Horror Cult awakens from its slumber with a return to sicko mode as Aria and Lori discuss the weirdly horny horror of Brandon Cronenberg. This week, join in for a dissection of the collapse of psychic dualism with a look at "Antiviral" (2012), "Possessor" (2020), and "Infinity Pool" (2023).As per usual, major spoiler warning for the three films discussed this week.Audio clip from "Popcorn" (1991).Follow QHC on Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/queerhorrorcult/
104. #104 - Our Most Self-Indulgent Episode Yet01:27:56This week, Lori and Aria are joined by Kylie (of Bad Dad Rad Dad podcast) and Tor to provide commentary on two short films we collaborated on. Strap in as we look at "Mary Från Amerika" (2016) and "Donor" (2017).This episode features video content available on our youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/@queerhorrorcultAudio clip from "The Simpsons" (1997).
103. #103 - And a Happy Noévember to All! (Feat. Nicole Boychuk)01:28:54Welcoming Nicole Boychuk back to the show to round out the month with a celebration of Noévember, a month spent watching (almost) all of Gaspar Noé's filmography. Focusing on Climax (2018) specifically, with some brief dips into Love (2015), Enter the Void (2009), and Vortex (2021), join us for a discussion of some truly upsetting, unsettling cinema.Spoiler warning for Climax (2018) and, briefly, Love (2015).Audio clip from a Locarno interview with Gaspar Noé (2016).
102. #102 - Gettin' Sad With Bad Dad Rad Dad01:33:25This week Lori is joined by special guests Kylie and Elliott of Bad Dad Rad Dad podcast to talk about their feelings, discussing "Knife + Heart" (2018), as well as some of the director's other shorts, with "Intermission" (2007), "By the Kiss" (2006), and "We Will Never Be Alone Again" (2012).Major spoilers for Knife + Heart!Audio clip from "Cecil B. Demented" (2000).
100. #100 - Entering Our Cronecore Era01:31:44How we've managed 100 of these things, we'll never know, but we're definitely feeling it in our weary bones. Join Aria and Lori as they explore getting on in years with a dive into movies about aging. Films discussed are "X" (2022), "The Taking of Deborah Logan" (2014), and "Old" (2021).Audio clip from "Last Night" (1998).
99. #099 - I Got Ninety-Nine Problems and Living in L.A. is Definitely One01:25:09This week Aria and Lori hose off the glitz and glam veneer of Hollywood and deep dive into the grime and slime runoff as it heads for the gutter with a look at modelling mayhem in "The Neon Demon" (2016), sickening starpower in "Starry Eyes" (2014), and some dazzling dread with "Mulholland Dr." (2001).Audio Clip from "It'll Chew You Up and Spit You Out" by Concrete Blonde.
98. #098 - Who Need They Cronenbussy Ate?01:22:56QHC returns after a brief hiatus (well, briefer than last time) with a brand new episode on a brand new movie, David Cronenberg's "Crimes of the Future" (2022). Rubberneck at the new sex as we rearrange some guts with a queer reading of the film, and place your bets on how often "little freak" can be used as a genuine term of affection.Audio clip from "A Dirty Shame" (2004).