World IP Day: What is Intellectual Property?
In this podcast, Claire Wilson, our Head of IP Legal Services answers what is Intellectual Property, the benefits of IP for any organisation but particularly for innovative inventions, products and services to gain competitive advantage. World IP Day takes place on 26 April each year to celebrate the IP achievements across the world.
View all episodes
4. Christmas Cracker: Future Technology at Christmas18:05In our final episode, Victoria Doherty, group head of client engagement: sustainability & electrification; Dr Helen Dudfield, chief scientist for training human performance and Dean of Fellows; and Ed Timpson, head of capability for robotics and autonomous systems, join Dan to discuss emerging and future technologies and the impact they could have on the future of Christmas. Could Santa’s sleigh be autonomous, could the elves be augmented with technology and would the naughty and nice list benefit from AI?
3. Christmas Cracker: Artificial Intelligence20:04In the third episode of our Christmas Cracker series, QinetiQ experts dive into the weird and wonderful uses of Artificial Intelligence (AI). What unusual tasks has AI been used for? What are the biggest AI fails? What AI systems can we expect to see in the future? And what AI technology might Santa benefit from using? Host, Dan Reid, is joined by Phini Balaghan, Head of AI Capability at QinetiQ, and Alysha Hobson, Strategic Engagement and Outreach at QinetiQ, in this light-hearted but insightful discussion.This episode is the third in a festive four-part series where we'll be chatting with expert guests about all ou favourite technologies, this weird and wonderful applications, the biggest flops and even how they might help Santa deliver his presents! Make sure to subscribe so you don't miss any!
2. Christmas Cracker: Cyber and Electromagnetic Activity (CEMA) in the Movies15:00In the second episode of our Christmas Cracker series, QinetiQ experts look at the use of Cyber and Electromagnetic Activity (CEMA) devices in the Hollywood action movies. How accurate is their portrayal? Can they really open locked doors? And what could Santa do to protect himself from an Electromagnetic Pulse launched by the Grinch? Directed Energy expert, Richard Hoad and CEMA Business Development Lead, PJ Wallace, join host Dan Reid (Senior Systems Engineer in Future Technologies at QinetiQ) in the festive fun.This episode is the second in a festive four-part series where we'll be chatting with expert guests about all our favourite technologies, their weird and wonderful applications, the biggest flops and even how they might help Santa deliver his presents! Make sure to subscribe so you don't miss any!
2. AI and Beyond: AI in High-Stakes Environments28:29In this 30 minute podcast, we are joined by Mind Foundry, a company that QinetiQ is partnering with to deliver responsible AI solutions for critical environments. Host Phininder Balaghan (AI Capability Lead at QinetiQ) is joined by Brian Mullins (CEO at Mind Foundry) and Al Bowman (Defence and National Security Lead at Mind Foundry). They discuss the benefits and challenges of bringing AI into high-stakes environments, like defence and security, and assess how we can make AI more responsible and explainable.This podcast is the second in our new series, AI and Beyond, where we explore the the very frontiers of artificial intelligence and investigate novel applications in defence and other industries.
1. Christmas Cracker: Immersive Technology23:33For the first episode in our brand new Christmas Cracker series, we'll be delving into the exciting and innovative world of immersive technology with a fun and festive spin. In true 'Christmas Carol' style, we'll be looking at the ghosts of past, present and future in this technology area. Host Dan Reid (Senior Systems Engineer in Future Technologies at QinetiQ) is joined by David Taylor (Immersive Capability Lead at QinetiQ) and his team of immersive experts; Kevin Rampersad, Byron Jacob and Sam Williams.This episode is the first in a festive four-part series where we'll be chatting with expert guests about all our favourite technologies, their weird and wonderful applications, the biggest flops and even how they might help Santa deliver his presents! Make sure to subscribe so you don't miss any!
1. AI and Beyond: Exploring AI and Sustainability33:41In this 30 minute podcast, host Phininder Balaghan, AI Capability Lead at QinetiQ, is joined by Professor Enrico Gerding from the University of Southampton, where they discuss the fascinating applications of AI in Sustainability. They discuss how AI can be used to improve transport, smart grids and building design; explore how AI itself could be more sustainable; and investigate ways to achieve transparent and responsible AI solutions. This podcast is the first in our new series, AI and Beyond, where we explore the the very frontiers of Artificial Intelligence and investigate novel applications in Defence and other industries.
1. Ask Me Anything: AI, Ethics & Quantum Teleportation40:14In celebration of National Conversation Week 2023, we have recorded a special ‘Ask me anything’ podcast. Host David Rosewell (Group Director for Science and Technology Engagement at QinetiQ) is joined by Dr Helen Dudfield (Chief Scientist for Training & Human Performance at QinetiQ), Antony Bridges (Group Leader for Human Performance at QinetiQ), Leah Daly (Associate Systems Engineer at QinetiQ) and Phininder Balaghan (Innovation and Engagement Lead at Naimuri). They answer questions submitted from our listeners, including ‘What advice would you give to someone just starting a career in STEM?’; ‘Will AI take over my job?’; ‘What ethical issues do you encounter in your work?’ and; ‘Will quantum teleportation solve my commuting issues?’
1. World IP Day 2023: Women and Intellectual Property13:07A special 13 minute podcast to mark World Intellectual Property (IP) Day 2023, which, this year, celebrates women inventors, creators and entrepreneurs around the world. QinetiQ Group Head of Legal Services, Claire Wilson, is joined by Dr Gillian Marshall (Senior Principal Engineer and QinetiQ Senior Fellow), Dr Roya Ashayer-Soltani (Stealth Materials Scientist) and Dr Charlotte Meeks (Composite Team Leader and QinetiQ Fellow) to discuss the experience of female innovators and users of the IP system, the barriers they face and what can be done to overcome them.
4. Science and Technology Vision: Exploring US defence priorities13:17Following our report, 'Winning tomorrow's battles: Science and technology strategy for the contested age', this 10-minute podcast delves into the S&T strategy of US defence, the key technologies, priorities, challenges and the biggest opportunities. Listen to host David Rosewell from the CTO group, joined by David Scott, Vice-President of Business Development at QinetiQ US, to discuss the above and a selection of key points from within the US section of the report. This podcast is the fourth in a series of six, the first being the UK, followed by Australia, Canada, the US, Germany and lastly, gaining a wider industry view.