Pretty Deadly Podcast
S6 Episode 100 - What She Said: Comedy and Self Defense | Pretty Deadly Podcast
Season 6, Ep. 100
The commonalities between comedy and self-defense, how we have used humour to diffuse a threatening situation or to talk about something awkward or painful through the art of mimicry or sarcasm to establish a boundary. How I've de-escalated volatile situations using well timed humour.
101. S6 Episode 101: Special Guest Andrew Juarez | Pretty Deadly Podcast39:32Our 101st episode brings a special surprise! Andrew Juarez, owner of Rise Above Self Defense in California reached out to us to chat about the ins and outs of teaching self defense, and self defense as a business. Andrew is a U.S. Navy Veteran who worked as a Gunner's-mate on the Ammunition Ship (USS Mt. Hood AE-29) for 3 years during Operation Desert Storm. Being part of the ships security force and a firearm instructor was also a big part of his evolution into teaching self defense. His current focus is Krav Maga, but he also has experience in Karate, Boxing, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, and BJJ. Find out more about Andrew and his program at https://www.riseaboveselfdefense.com/
99. S6 Episode 99 - Creative Ways to Say No | Pretty Deadly Podcast20:19Women are so socialized to not offend, that it can be hard for us to say no, but's just a muscle we have to train like everything else. In Pretty Deadly courses, groups often employ "The No Game," a game developed to help women get comfortable with saying "no" as a full sentence. Susie and Humay talk about The No Game, and introduce some other creative ways of saying no that can be just as effective.
98. S6 Episode 98: The Consequences of Saying No26:36Susie and Humay talk about instances in their lives when saying no to someone or setting a boundary offended someone and how we dealt with it. Plus the lessons we derived from it.
97. S6 Episode 97: The Power of Hair15:49Hair is a powerful expression of femininity. So why do some women dye their hair after taking a self defense course?Got questions you'd like answered? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
96. S6 Episode 96: Emotional Self Defense13:27What exactly is emotional self defense and how can we use it instead of or even along with physical self defense? Got questions you'd like answered? Email us at email@example.com
95. S6 Episode 95: Real Life Self Defense13:27Real-life instances where we or our students have used pretty deadly self-defense moves.Got a question you'd like answered? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
94. S6 | Episode 94: Scream Queens & Misogyny21:59Hollywood and its obsession with horror films where women always get murdered and serial killer biopics where the murderer is glorified. Is it a form of sexism?Got questions you'd like answered? Send us an email to email@example.com!
93. S6 Episode 93: Is Self Defense Different in Different Cultures?16:43Does self-defense differ from culture to culture?Susie has taught self defense in multiple countries, Pakistan, Nepal, South Africa, UK, France, Germany, USA . Humay wonders what are some differences and commonalities in people’s attitudes to self defense and the application of self defense?