Pioneers of Impact Investing Podcast with Asad Mahmood
Conversation with Elizabeth Littlefield, Senior Partner and Co-Founder of West Africa Blue
Episode 5 of "The Pioneers of Impact Investing Podcast" features Elizabeth Littlefield, a renowned figure in the field of impact investing. Hosted by Asad Mahmood, this episode delves into Elizabeth's exceptional background and journey, providing an in-depth look into her remarkable career in both the development and private sectors.
As the episode begins, Asad Mahmood warmly welcomes Elizabeth Littlefield, setting the stage for an engaging conversation. Elizabeth, with her vast experience and visionary perspective, shares her fascinating story, starting with her tenure at JPMorgan, one of the world's largest private-sector banks. She reveals how she led the emerging market business at JPMorgan, demonstrating her early inclination towards driving positive change on a global scale. Currently, she serves as a Senior Partner at West Africa Blue and a Senior Advisor at Pollination, further solidifying her influence in the field.
In addition to her impressive professional roles, Elizabeth holds important positions in organizations that focus on sustainability and conservation. She chairs M-KOPA Solar and contributes her expertise as a board member of the World Wildlife Fund (US). These roles demonstrate her commitment to socially responsible initiatives and her passion for creating a positive impact on the world.
Throughout the episode, Elizabeth delves into the challenges she faced while working in the microfinance industry. Listeners are treated to valuable insights into the strategies, obstacles, and overall evolution of microfinance.
As the episode draws to a close, Mahmood and Littlefield discuss the future of social finance. Elizabeth imparts wisdom to younger generations, advising them to have a clear vision and persistence in pursuing their goals. Her guidance serves as inspiration for those seeking to make a meaningful impact in the world of impact investing.
Episode 5 of "The Pioneers of Impact Investing Podcast" featuring Elizabeth Littlefield is a powerful conversation centered on commitment and persistence to make a meaningful impact in the world. By the time the episode concludes, listeners are poised to undergo a transformative shift in their mindset, leaving them inspired and empowered to embrace their roles as catalysts for positive change.
View all episodes
6. Conversation with Bob Pattillo - Founder of Gray Matters Capital01:06:05In this episode of the "Pioneers of Impact Investing" podcast, your host Asad Mahmood brings you a compelling conversation with the remarkable Bob Pattillo, the visionary Founder of Gray Matters Capital. Tune in as they unravel the extraordinary journey of a man who has dedicated his life to using impact investing as a force for global change.Bob Pattillo, a trailblazer in the world of impact investing, shares his captivating story of how he transitioned from a successful career in traditional finance to a pioneering advocate for impact-driven investments. His passion and dedication to making a meaningful difference shine through as he discusses the inception of Gray Matters Capital and the profound impact it has had on millions of lives worldwide.In this episode, you'll gain a profound understanding of Bob's unique perspective on impact investing. He shares his deep-rooted belief that investing should go beyond mere financial returns; it should also contribute positively to society. Bob reveals the driving philosophy behind Gray Matters Capital, where they invest in entrepreneurs who are working tirelessly to solve some of the world's most pressing challenges.Asad Mahmood and Bob dive into the importance of financial inclusion and education in empowering individuals and transforming communities. They discuss the ripple effect of these investments, highlighting how providing opportunities and resources to underserved populations can create a brighter future for all.Throughout the conversation, Bob shares his experiences, challenges, and triumphs in the world of impact investing. He offers invaluable advice to aspiring impact investors, emphasizing the need for patience, resilience, and a commitment to driving social change.Join Asad Mahmood and Bob Pattillo in this thought-provoking episode as they explore the incredible impact of Gray Matters Capital and the potential of impact investing to reshape our world. Whether you're a seasoned investor or simply curious about how your investments can make a meaningful difference, this episode promises to inspire and empower you to become a pioneer of impact investing.
4. Conversation with Nanno Kleiterp, Ex-CEO of FMO55:52Episode 4 of "The Pioneers of Impact Investing Podcast" invites listeners to embark on a transformative journey with Asad Mahmood as he engages in a captivating conversation with Nanno Kleiterp, the former CEO of FMO (the Dutch Development Bank). This episode delves into the world of sustainable development finance, shedding light on the crucial role of institutions like FMO in driving positive change across the globe.With a warm introduction, Asad Mahmood sets the stage for a profound exploration of sustainable development finance. As the former CEO of FMO, Nanno Kleiterp possesses a wealth of knowledge and experience in mobilizing capital for impactful investments in emerging markets. Listeners are in for a treat as they gain insights into the strategies, challenges, and successes of financing projects that generate social, environmental, and economic benefits.The episode commences with a deep dive into the mission and mandate of FMO, a leading development finance institution. Kleiterp shares his vision for inclusive and sustainable development, highlighting the importance of partnerships, innovation, and responsible investment practices. Listeners gain a comprehensive understanding of how FMO operates, bridging the gap between public and private sectors to catalyze investment in developing countries.Throughout the conversation, Kleiterp and Mahmood explore the transformative power of impact investments in addressing pressing global challenges. They discuss real-world examples of FMO's investment portfolio, including sustainable energy projects, microfinance initiatives, and private sector development programs. Listeners gain insights into how these investments generate positive social and environmental outcomes while also delivering financial returns.The episode delves into the intricacies of sustainable finance, touching upon topics such as risk management, impact measurement, and the importance of stakeholder engagement. Kleiterp shares his expertise in aligning financial objectives with social and environmental impact, emphasizing the need for robust due diligence and a long-term perspective when investing in emerging markets.As the episode draws to a close, Mahmood and Kleiterp discuss the future of sustainable development finance. They examine emerging trends, such as blended finance, green bonds, and impact measurement frameworks, and their potential to shape the landscape of sustainable investing. Listeners gain insights into the evolving role of development finance institutions and the opportunities that lie ahead for investors and entrepreneurs committed to sustainable development.Episode 4 of "The Pioneers of Impact Investing Podcast" featuring Nanno Kleiterp offers a fascinating exploration of sustainable development finance. By the end of this episode, listeners will be inspired to embrace the transformative potential of impact investments, contributing to a more equitable, inclusive, and sustainable world.
3. Conversation with Sam Daley-Haris, Founder and Principal - Civic Courage50:26Episode 3 of "The Pioneers of Impact Investing Podcast" features an inspiring dialogue with Sam Daley-Harris, the visionary Founder and Principal of Civic Courage. In this thought-provoking episode, host Asad Mahmood delves into the world of civic engagement and social activism, exploring the transformative power of individuals in driving positive change.Opening the episode with a warm introduction, Asad Mahmood sets the stage for an enlightening conversation with Sam Daley-Harris. As a pioneer in the field of grassroots advocacy and civic engagement, Daley-Harris brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the discussion, making this episode a must-listen for those seeking to make a difference in their communities.The conversation commences with an exploration of the concept of civic courage and its significance in fostering social change. Daley-Harris shares his personal journey and the pivotal moments that led him to establish Civic Courage, an organization dedicated to empowering individuals to engage with their elected representatives and effect meaningful policy changes.Throughout the episode, Daley-Harris and Mahmood delve into the strategies and tactics that can amplify citizens' voices and build effective movements. Listeners gain invaluable insights into the power of storytelling, grassroots organizing, and cultivating relationships with policymakers to drive legislative action and create lasting impact.Drawing on his experiences working with prominent advocacy organizations, Daley-Harris provides real-world examples of successful citizen-led campaigns, illustrating the potential for individuals to shape policy agendas and effect systemic change. He shares stories of ordinary citizens who, through their commitment and determination, have been able to influence policies on issues ranging from poverty alleviation to climate change and human rights.As the episode progresses, Daley-Harris and Mahmood engage in a thought-provoking discussion on the challenges and roadblocks faced by advocates in their pursuit of change. They delve into topics such as overcoming apathy, building coalitions, and maintaining resilience in the face of adversity. Listeners gain valuable insights on how to navigate these obstacles and mobilize communities for collective impact.In the closing segment, Daley-Harris and Mahmood reflect on the future of civic engagement and the role of technology in amplifying citizens' voices. They discuss emerging trends, such as digital advocacy and social media mobilization, and their potential to revolutionize the way individuals engage in activism and advocacy.Episode 3 of "The Pioneers of Impact Investing Podcast" featuring Sam Daley-Harris is a captivating exploration of the power of civic courage and grassroots engagement. By the end of this episode, listeners will be inspired to step forward, take action, and become catalysts for change in their own communities.
2. Conversation with Cedric Lombard, Executive Director - Impact Finance01:00:57Episode 2 of "The Pioneers of Impact Investing Podcast" delves into the captivating world of impact finance, featuring an insightful conversation with Cedric Lombard, the esteemed Executive Director of Impact Finance. Hosted by Asad Mahmood, a renowned advocate for socially responsible investing, this episode takes listeners on an exploratory journey into the frontiers of impact investing and the transformative power it holds.Opening with a warm welcome, Asad Mahmood introduces Cedric Lombard, a trailblazer in the field of impact finance. With a wealth of experience and a deep understanding of sustainable investing, Lombard shares his remarkable insights, making this episode a must-listen for both seasoned investors and newcomers eager to make a positive change in the world.The conversation begins by shedding light on the origins of impact finance and its evolution over the years. Lombard delves into the core principles that drive impact investing, emphasizing the importance of measurable social and environmental impact alongside financial returns. Listeners gain a comprehensive understanding of the various strategies and approaches within impact finance, including the integration of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) factors, thematic investing, and impact measurement.Lombard, drawing on his extensive experience, takes the audience through some compelling case studies that highlight the power of impact finance in addressing critical global challenges. From renewable energy projects to sustainable agriculture and affordable housing initiatives, he unveils the transformative potential of investments that generate both financial returns and tangible positive outcomes.Throughout the episode, Asad Mahmood steers the conversation toward the practical aspects of impact finance, exploring topics such as deal sourcing, due diligence, and risk management. Lombard shares his expert advice on identifying impactful investment opportunities, building strong partnerships, and overcoming common challenges in the field.As the episode draws to a close, Mahmood and Lombard discuss the future of impact finance and its role in shaping a more sustainable and equitable world. They examine emerging trends, such as the rise of impact bonds, green finance, and the integration of impact principles into mainstream investment practices.With thought-provoking insights, practical wisdom, and inspiring anecdotes, Episode 2 of "The Pioneers of Impact Investing Podcast" featuring Cedric Lombard provides listeners with a comprehensive roadmap to navigate the complexities of impact finance. By the end, listeners will be equipped with the knowledge and motivation to embark on their own journey of impact investing, fueling positive change while generating financial returns.
1. Conversation with Jean-Philippe de Schrevel, the Founding and Managing Partner of Bamboo Capital Partners52:47In the inaugural episode of the "Pioneers of Impact Investing" podcast, your host Asad Mahmood sits down with the renowned Jean-Philippe de Schrevel, the Founding and Managing Partner of Bamboo Capital Partners. Together, they dive deep into the world of impact investing and explore the transformative power it holds for both investors and the communities they aim to uplift.Jean-Philippe, a true trailblazer in the field, shares his inspiring journey of becoming one of the industry's most influential figures. With his vast experience and insights, he sheds light on the origins of impact investing, tracing its roots and explaining how it has evolved over the years.Listeners will gain a comprehensive understanding of impact investing as Jean-Philippe delves into the key principles that drive this form of investing. They explore the concept of "blended value" and how it encompasses both financial returns and positive social or environmental impacts. Jean-Philippe emphasizes the importance of aligning financial interests with sustainable development goals, highlighting how this approach can create long-term value for investors and society as a whole.Throughout the episode, Asad and Jean-Philippe discuss real-world examples of impact investing successes and the challenges faced along the way. They explore the potential of impact investing to address pressing global issues, such as poverty alleviation, climate change, and gender inequality.This captivating conversation not only showcases the immense potential of impact investing but also delves into practical advice for aspiring impact investors. Jean-Philippe shares valuable insights on how to navigate the complexities of this unique investment approach, emphasizing the importance of building strong partnerships and measuring impact effectively.Join Asad Mahmood and Jean-Philippe de Schrevel in this thought-provoking episode as they illuminate the path of impact investing and its potential to shape a more sustainable and inclusive future. Whether you're an established investor or simply curious about creating positive change through your investments, this episode will inspire and guide you on your journey as a pioneer of impact investing.