Inspired by the life and work of Leon Theremin, a Russian inventor whose most famous invention was the Theremin –– an instrument that produces otherworldly, haunting music, and which is played seemingly by magic. At the height of the Cold War, Theremin’s passions for music and science drew him into dangerous territory: the price of pursuing his great passions would be to live his life as a spy.
A fictional story inspired by historical events.
Writer: Michael LaPointe
Voice: Gerard Howard
Production: Christopher Hooton
View all episodes
Afterword: The Mockbuster08:47A conversation with journalist Shaun Raviv, author of THE MOCKBUSTER. HOST: MICHAEL LAPOINTEEDITING: THOMAS CURRYMUSIC, SCORING & SOUND-DESIGN: NATALIA RODRIGUEZ
The Mockbuster30:12When small-time money counterfeiter Edward L. Montoro nearly dies in a plane crash, he decides to reinvent himself as a filmmaker. It's the late 1970s, the dawn of the age of the blockbuster, and Montoro pioneers the "mockbuster"—knock-off productions that capitalize on the popularity of mainstream Hollywood films. But as his little studio attracts the wrath of the movie industry, Montoro makes a desperate decision, sparking one of the great unsolved mysteries in cinematic history.JOURNALIST: SHAUN RAVIVEDITING: THOMAS CURRYSOUND-DESIGN & AUDIO MIX: ALICE BOYDVOICE: ERIC JASON MARTIN
28. Afterword: The Way We're Built13:23A conversation with journalist Alex Mayyasi, author of The Way We're Built. HOST: MICHAEL LAPOINTEEDITING: THOMAS CURRYMUSIC, SCORING & SOUND-DESIGN: NATALIA RODRIGUEZ
27. The Way We're Built35:03Facing hard times in the early 1990s, Subaru of America is trying to understand who exactly buys their sturdy but drab brand of cars. That's when one marketing executive notices a peculiar niche in their focus groups—lesbian women. In the conservative corporate culture of Subaru, a group of marketing executives will try to turn the company's fortunes around through a secretive marketing campaign.JOUNALIST: ALEX MAYYASIEDITING: THOMAS CURRYMUSIC, SCORING & SOUND-DESIGN: DOMINIC GOZOVOICE: NESBA CRENSHAW
26. Afterword: The Badir Brothers13:24A conversation with journalist Yochai Maital author of "The Badir Brothers".HOST: MICHAEL LAPOINTEJOURNALIST: YOCHAI MAITALAUDIO: NATALIA RODRIGUEZ FORD
25. The Badir Brothers46:12In a small Israeli village in the 1980s, three Arab brothers are born blind. When a payphone is installed at the end of the block, the brothers discover they can use their supersensitive hearing to manipulate the lines to do their bidding, the first step in what will become the largest telecom fraud in Israeli history.JOURNALIST: YOCHAI MAITALEDITING: THOMAS CURRYMUSIC, SCORING & SOUND-DESIGN: DOMINIC GOZOVOICE: ALI SULIMANREPORTING BY: ADAM BIZANSKI
24. Afterword: Blinkers10:57A conversation about fakes, hustlers, and how to rip off the Grateful Dead with Harmon Leon, author of “Blinkers. Host: Michael LaPointeJournalist: Harmon LeonAudio: Natalia Rodriguez Ford
23. Blinkers32:13Teenage hustler Conor MacKay makes his living selling counterfeit tickets—or blinkers—at concerts and sporting events across the United States. It’s the early 1990s, the golden age of the blinker game, but as the federal authorities and Ticketmaster close in, Conor has to find what’s authentic in this world of fakes. A fictional story based on real events.NARRATOR: CARTER BELLAIMEYJOURNALIST: HARMON LEONAUDIO EDITING: MADDIE HICKISHMUSIC, SCORING & SOUND-DESIGN: DOMINIC GOZO
22. The Starlet Bandits: Part 223:42It's Los Angeles in the mid-2000s and Nina is chasing the LA dream. She falls into sex work and gets caught up in her boyfriend/pimp's latest scheme: robbing banks. A disparate group of sex workers are transformed into a gang of bank robbers named The Starlet Bandits...Narrator: Jurnee SmollettJournalist: Lexi PandellAudio Editing: Natalia RodriguezMusic, Scoring & Sound-Design: Dominic Gozo