Outside & Active
Priya Gopaldas - From lockdown runner to ultra marathon lover
Priya is most recognisable as an Islander from Love Island 2021. Priya is a stunning young medical student, in her fifth year at UCL and has worked on many NHS health campaigns.
She is passionate about fitness and running and loves to take part in endurance and ultra marathons - recently completing a 250km ultramarthon in Sri Lanka raising money for the NHS.
In early 2022 Priya spoke about her own chronic lung condition "Bronchiectasis" and has now teamed up with Lung and Asthma UK to spread awareness about lung illnesses such as hers.
Priya is a stylish fashionista and a great all round influencer who works well with a variety of health, fitness and fashion brands.
She is articulate, and has a very confident and entertaining personality made for TV. As well as Love Island she has appeared on primetime TV shows such as Lorraine, BBC's Panorama, Steph's Packed Lunch, SkyNews and many more.
And while she may not have found her true love on Love Island - every viewer knows she truly loves cheese!Keela
For the everyday adventurer, the Wee Days Oot collection by Keela has been designed to encourage you to adventure local and discover what beauty is on your doorstep. Keela want to show that you can find an adventure anywhere – you don’t need to spend thousands on a trip abroad, or commit to spending weeks away from home!
Whether it’s a beach walk finished off with a seat by a campfire to watch the sunset, or your first ever cold-water dip, the Wee Days Oot collection has something for everyone.
And the best bit. It’s made here in Scotland! So why not continue your outdoor journey with Keela’s Wee Days Oot collection? Take your first steps and discover the beauty that’s right in front of you.
You might just be surprised at what you find!Aqua Marina UK
Save 15% on New AQUA MARINA 2023 range.
Use code: OAA15 in your cart.
Aqua Marina has been producing high quality paddle equipment for over 30years. Our products are made for your needs, backed by technology that keeps you safe and to go with you wherever your adventure takes you.Outside and Active Podcast
Welcome to the Outside & Active podcast where we aim to inspire you to lead a healthy active lifestyle outside with interviews from guests such as Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Dame Kelly Holmes, Ben Fogle, Kadeena Cox OBE, Julia Bradbury, Sean Conway, Paula Radcliffe MBE, Anna McNuff & Jamie McDonald.
View all episodes
5. Jack Cornish - Reviewing a groundbreaking piece of research43:28This week on the Outside & Active Podcast Dom is joined by Jack CornishJack is head of paths at the Ramblers, leading their work to protect, expand and improve the UK's path network. Jack joined the Ramblers in 2017, having recently completed a 1,550 mile walk all the way across Britain from Land’s End to John O’Groats.Jack is the author of a book called The Lost Paths, a personal journey and exploration of the deep history of English and Welsh paths and how this millennia-old network was created, has evolved, and been transformed. An important part of Jack’s focus at the Ramblers has been the flagship Don’t Lose Your Way project which identified over 49,000 miles of paths that could be lost forever because they are not legally recorded as public rights of way. He has regularly appeared in the media including the BBC, Country Living magazine and The Guardian.In this episode we talk through a groundbreaking new piece of research. Available to read here.DryrobeA massive thank you to our friends at dryrobe who are sponsoring this episode of the O&A Podcast.Get changed and stay warm with the dryrobe® Advance, the world’s warmest and most versatile change robe. Designed to let you get changed anywhere, the weatherproof outer protects you from elements, whilst the super-warm lining helps you dry quickly. Perfect for all outdoor activities, from elite sporting events to family camping adventures. Made with 100% recycled fabrics.To check out the full range of dryrobe® products, visit dryrobe.com
4. John Dunne - Climbing for EVERYONE38:42This week on the Outside & Active Podcast Dom is joined by John Dunne.John started climbing at the age of 10 on the local cliffs close to his home in Bradford West Yorkshire. He then went on to establish a series of World class new routes including the first route to be graded 8b in Britain, Magnetic Fields at Malham Cove and the hardest route on gritstone at the time, New Statesman E8, 7a at Ilkley Yorkshire in 1987.In 1987 John competed internationally placing 2nd at the Troubat World cup in France.In 1989 he climbed the now legendary prow at Burbage South, Derbyshire to produce Parthian Shot. The first true E9 on gritstone, which remained unrepeated alongside New Statesman for almost a decade.During the nineties John climbed many new routes in the UK and Europe and continued to push standards in both the athletic realm of sport climbing and the more serious discipline of traditional climbing.In a career spanning over 30 years John has establish many new routes, climbed extensively in the Alps and visited many countries around the world on rock climbing and mountaineering trips.John continues to climb on a regular basis and still has many projects and climbing trips planned for the future.John is the founder of Parthain Climbing, a group of high quality climbing centres aiming to encourage a whole new world of climbers.The Ellie Soutter FoundationThe Ellie Soutter Foundation was set up to support young winter sports athletes through funding initiatives and coaching them through the pressures of professional competition following the tragic death of Ellie Soutter in 2018. Importantly the foundation is now focused on raising awareness of the dangers of concussion and has recently partnered with ImPACT online ConcussionTesting.The ImPact Baseline Test is an online assessment which measures functioning of the brain in a healthy state. Take the test and store it on the FREE app provided so you can carry it with you. In the unfortunate event you experience a concussion you can then sit a post traumatic test to help medical professionals determine changes from your original test and help you with your recovery.Purchase your Online test at www.theelliesoutter.foundation
3. Simon Minty - Disability in society and the World Dwarf Games44:55This week on the Outside & Active Podcast Dom welcomes Simon MintySimon has delivered consultancy, training and strategic plans in the field disability, since early 2000s. Working with some of the biggest organisations in the world such as HSBC, Google and the BBC. All of this whilst being a TV and social media personality.He has a creative side too, helping improve the portrayal of disabled people on screen, and In 2020 he joined the board of the National Theatre in London.Simon has personal experience of disability being of short stature and limited mobility. He uses a mobility scooter for distance. He enjoys an active social media presence, and blogs frequently on current affairs and topics. Simon has recently returned from competing at the World Dwarf Games in Cologne where he competed in the power lifting competition.
2. Sue Anstiss - Striving towards equality in sport40:35Sue worked in sports marketing and sports PR for over 30 years, delivering highly successful campaigns to get more women and girls taking part in sport and physical activity. Her clients included sports governing bodies and organisations, teams, charities, major events and brands.A founding Trustee of the Women’s Sport Trust, in 2018 Sue received an MBE for her services to grassroots and women’s sport.Sue is the author of Game On: the unstoppable rise of women’s sport, a host of the award-winning podcast The Game Changers and co-founder of the Women’s Sport Collective.Sue also volunteers her time to support a number of organisations in sport. She’s a member of the RFU’s Independent Diversity and Inclusion Group, a Board Director at Lewes FC and a Trustee of Leisure Focus.FitBitesThank you FitBites for supporting the Outside & Active PodcastFeel good with FitBites and check out their protein filled granola bites. With all natural ingredients for your body, you’ll feel refreshed and energized to tackle the day. There are multiple tasty flavours to choose from meaning there’s something for everyone.If you're looking for a healthy alternative to crisps or chocolate, then look no further than Fitbites. You don’t want to miss out, do you? Stay connected with them via social media to be the first to know about new products and offers!https://www.fitbites.co.uk/
1. Sir Chris Hoy - Having the mentality to become an Olympic legend45:36Sir Chris is one of Great Britain’s most successful Olympic athletes, with six gold medals and one silver.Chris won his first Olympic gold medal in Athens 2004 in the Kilo – an event that was dropped from the programme for Beijing 2008. Chris took this in his stride and switched his focus to three other track sprint events – the Keirin, Sprint and Team Sprint. He went on to win a gold medal in all three at the Beijing Olympics, cementing his name in the history books.He was voted 2008 BBC Sports Personality of the Year and was awarded a Knighthood in the 2009 New Year Honours list.In this episode we talk about the psychological side of sport, part of the reason Chris was so successful.A massive thank you to our friends at dryrobe who are sponsoring this episode of the O&A Podcast.Get changed and stay warm with the dryrobe® Advance, the world’s warmest and most versatile change robe. Designed to let you get changed anywhere, the weatherproof outer protects you from elements, whilst the super-warm lining helps you dry quickly. Perfect for all outdoor activities, from elite sporting events to family camping adventures. Made with 100% recycled fabrics.To check out the full range of dryrobe® products, visit dryrobe.com'
10. Paul Freary - The running shoe guru49:20Athletics runs in the Freary family. Paul’s father, Mike held the British 10,000m record in 1969 and Paul himself has been running for over 45 years.As an athlete Paul has won Northern and Inter-County golds at 5000m as well as British half-marathon and trail running titles.His claim to fame is beating Steve Cram over the classic mile distance on the road in Bermuda, a distance where Paul’s personal best in 3minutes 56seconds!Having worked in the running industry for over 25 years he’s worked for Puma, Fila, Nike and adidas as well as now owning his own running store. An expert in video gait analysis, Paul is ideally placed to write authoritative reviews of running footwear, gadgets and gear.For 2023 Paul has his targets set on improving his 2:39 marathon from Berlin in 2022.
9. Nicky Chisholm - How do you define adventure?47:14This week on the Outside & Active Podcast Dom welcomes Nicky ChisholmNicky describes herself as an everyday adventurer. Squeezing adventures into her everyday life from walks, swims and runs to film, podcasts and books.She just hit 50 and her adventure journey has changed so many times over the years, from a 20-year-old canoeing and sailing instructor, to a Mum with young children teaching them to embrace the outdoors, to a mum of young teens surfing and climbing Ben Nevis!Now that her children are in their late teens and are slowly flying the nest, she now finds herself ready to embrace the next stage of her adventure journey.Her adventure journey has included marathon walks along Hadrians Wall, abseiling down castles, a cross country ski marathon in the Arctic Circle, and a recent trip to Peru visiting the Amazon Rainforest. This episode is all about adventure, and how every day 'normal' people can find adventure in their everyday lives. You can follow along Nicky's adventure on her social media. She is always keen to connect with new communities and like-minded individuals.
8. Jordan Wylie - Extreme adventurer53:15This week on the Outside & Active Podcast Dom welcomes Jordan WylieJordan Wylie is an extreme adventurer and bestselling author who is also one of the stars of Channel 4’s Hunted and Celebrity Hunted. He has ran through the most dangerous countries in the world, raising hundreds of thousands for charity and has even taken on incredible challenges like climbing Kilimanjaro barefoot.The former soldier, who is also the UK national ambassador for Army Cadets, ran 15 marathons in 15 days in the 15 National Parks of the United Kingdom in 2019 to promote getting outside and running for better mental health. In this episode I also speak to Jordan about his own battles and experience with anxiety.
7. Chris Thompson - If you love running this podcast is for you01:16:17This week on the Outside & Active Podcast Dom welcomes Chris ThompsonA staggering 23 years on from his international debut, Chris Thompson made a fairytale return to the Team GB ranks for Tokyo 2020.Five days after his son Theo came into the world, Thompson shattered a marathon personal best that stood for seven years at the British Athletics Marathon and 20km Walk Trial at Kew Gardens. He completed the course in 2 hours, 10 minutes and 52 seconds.Thompson’s first Olympic appearance came when he represented Team GB at the London 2012 Olympic Games.In 2010, Thompson was part of a British one-two in the 10,000m at the European Championships with the man who won Olympic 10,000m gold in 2012 – Mo Farah.Wild Goat FestivalWild Goat Festival is the event not to miss this SummerComing in HOT this summer is the Wild Goat Festival, August 11th – 13th, 2023. It’s a mix of Sporting Events, Music, Food and heaps of fun outdoor activities for all ages. Take on the stunning Lake District trails with some of sports greatest leading the way including Steve Cram, Paula Radcliffe, Steve Backley and more! Set in the beautiful South Lake district, Holker Hall, the routes are incredible and you will take in coastal views, fells and the lakes!Book your tickets at wildgoatfestival.comThe Ellie Soutter FoundationThe Ellie Soutter Foundation was set up to support young winter sports athletes through funding initiatives and coaching them through the pressures of professional competition following the tragic death of Ellie Soutter in 2018. Importantly the foundation is now focused on raising awareness of the dangers of concussion and has recently partnered with ImPACT online ConcussionTesting.The ImPact Baseline Test is an online assessment which measures functioning of the brain in a healthy state. Take the test and store it on the FREE app provided so you can carry it with you. In the unfortunate event you experience a concussion you can then sit a post traumatic test to help medical professionals determine changes from your original test and help you with your recovery. Protect your Brain health, purchase your Online test at www.theelliesoutter.foundation