Rugby World Magazine's One Game at a Time
Rugby World Magazine's One Game at a Time - James Simpson-Daniel
In episode 2 of this new series from Rugby World Magazine, Sam Roberts speaks to Gloucester and England wing-three-quarter James Simpson-Daniel. It proves a wonderful step back in time; James talks about wing play, Jonah Lomu, Sir Clive Woodward, missing out on the Rugby World Cup in 2003 and how he has come to terms with an international career that didn't flourish the way he would have wanted.
If you want, you can watch along with us on these youtube highlights (cue it up and press play at 13m05s of the podcast:
Before you listen, remind yourself of James' try against the Barbarians: Sinbad's Magic Moment - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7OKP9N06g
View all episodes
10. Rugby World Magazine's 'One Game at a Time' - Ben Alexander50:37As the most capped Brumbie in Super Rugby, and having spent 72 games in the front row for the Wallabies, Ben Alexander knows his rugby. In this episode of 'One Game at a Time' from Rugby World Magazine, Ben talks to Sam Roberts about life in the front row, starting his career in England's second tier with Dan Cole, playing against the Springboks, losing against the British and Irish Lions and even, taking on a completely different trio every day. It's a wonderful insight into a fascinating rugby journey and his outlook on life and rugby can only make you smile.At one point in the interview, we discuss the tragic suicide of Dan Vickerman, one of Ben's former Wallaby teammates. It's a tough but important listen and goes to show how important it is to talk to and look after each other. If you are affected by anything you hear in the podcast, please do speak to someone. You can 'phone 116 123, 24 hours a day or visit the Mental Health Matters website - www.mhm.org.ukThe youtube clips we use to look at the game from the Rugby World Cup in 2011 are here:First half https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u5kAUKUaos&t=1907sSecond half https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AurzdlF_ayYYou can watch along with us by following the timecodes given.Ben's internet connection wasn't the best but we made it through (with some clever editing) and I do hope you enjoy listening to Ben as much as we did.
9. Rugby World Magazine's 'One Game at a Time' - Chris Robshaw47:55Having recently announced a move to North America's Major League Rugby, it seemed a perfect time to speak to Chris Robshaw and reflect on a quite incredible career. As well as examining the Aviva Premiership Final from 2012, we talk about playing his first game in the RFU Championship, the difference between backs and forwards, loyalty to 'Quins, preparing in the sun, letting go of games and even, how to look after everyone's mental health. He has been a superb servant to the English game and this discussion is a wonderful insight into his experiences.We watch clips from this full match replay on youtube and by following the time codes given, you can watch along too.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9fjvE3Rr3oIf you like this podcast, please leave us a review and let people know. If you have any requests of matches and players you'd like us to talk to, get in touch.
8. Rugby World Magazine's 'One Game at a Time' - Jordan Crane39:40Many people can remember watching European Cup semi final between Cardiff and Leicester in 2009, mainly because it was decided by a rugby rarity: a penalty shootout. Jordan Crane had the difficult role of taking the match winning kick and he talks us through not only the game, but the anxiety of the shootout itself. It's an enlightening discussion and sheds some light on a punishing rugby schedule, a dominant Leicester Tigers side and how nerves can affect us all.Match highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8yIxQsEv_E&t=305sFull replay of the penalty shootout - press play with 10 seconds on the clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmIzYvh9DysIf you like this podcast, please leave us a review and let people know. If you have any requests of matches and players you'd like us to talk to, get in touch.
7. Rugby World Magazine's 'One Game at a Time' - Jimmy Gopperth43:37In this episode, Sam Roberts speaks to Jimmy Gopperth. Regarded by many as one of the finest playmakers in Premiership history, Jimmy talks about what it was like playing for Wasps in 2016, his stellar matches against Exeter, kicking at goal, retiring, and even what it felt like to miss out on All Black selection. There is some superb insight for everyone, but young players especially will learn a lot from listening to him.We watch these highlights on Youtube and you can watch along too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s1TqaqzFHcIf you like this podcast, please do take some time to subscribe and review. It would mean the world to us.
6. Rugby World Magazine's 'One Game at a Time' - Schalk Brits39:32Schalk Brits was a rare entity, a player who seemed to make every fan smile, regardless of which team they supported. In this episode, Sam Roberts talks to him about Saracens' first Premiership Final win in 2011 but we also look in detail at how he played the game; what it was like playing for the famous North London club; and perhaps most importantly, how he now feels with the 'Salary Cap Scandal' having cast its shadow. We also hear how he responded to a Rassie Erasmus text message about the World Cup in 2019, his eventual retirement, and we even get confirmation about an embarrassing incident detailed in the Karl Dickson episode from earlier in the series!The clip we watch is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMwEmaB7TeM - you can watch along too.Do leave a review if you like what we are doing, and if you have any ideas as to which rugby player you'd like to hear interviewed, get in touch with us.
5. Rugby World Magazine's 'One Game at a Time' - Kat Merchant42:45In this episode, Sam Roberts speaks to Katherine Merchant, the England winger who played 58 times for the Red Roses over a nine year period, scoring 44 tries. We look back at the critical semi-final from the 2014 Women's Rugby World Cup against Ireland, the scene of Kat's final international try. We discuss try scoring, handoffs, being beaten in finals and having stadiums boo you.We watch the highlights of the game from the World Rugby YouTube channel and you can watch along too by following this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYo5Nahgir4&t=176sKat shines a great light on top level sport, performing under pressure and women's rugby as a whole. It was lovely to hear her story and how England went on to lift the World Cup trophy.
4. Rugby World Magazine's 'One Game at a Time' - Sir Gareth Edwards39:54To celebrate the 60th birthday of the world’s best-selling rugby magazine, we present a very special edition of Rugby World Magazine’s 'One Game at a Time': Sir Gareth Edwards describe the Barbarians versus New Zealand game from 1973. He talks about walking to the game, the players with whom he took the field, his personal memories of each moment and of course, that try.We looked at the youtube highlights and you can watch along too by following the link attached. What a treat it was to talk to a player, whom many regard as the greatest, about arguably the greatest game ever played.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8h1Pe0iH8
3. Rugby World Magazine's One Game at a Time - Karl Dickson49:27After more than 150 top-flight appearances for Harlequins, Karl Dickson made the swift and difficult transition to becoming an official. Less than a year after performing in the Premiership as a player, he made his debut as a referee in the same league. On this episode, he talks to Sam Roberts about how he became interested in becoming an official, what it is like taking charge of a game, and his journey through the lower leagues all the way to his Premiership debut, on a Friday night, at Kingsholm, live on BT Sport. It proves a really interesting look into the mindset of a top flight referee and reveals all the different things they have to think about.We watch the last twenty minutes of the Gloucester v Saracens game from this full match replay on the Premiership Rugby website. We start watching from the point of 1h 19 minutes on the video. (We're afraid this video may not be available if you are accessing it from outside the UK). Here is the link:https://www.premiershiprugby.com/video/full-match-gloucester-rugby-v-saracens-round-8/