Okinawa Karate Podcast
OKP # 40 Being a White Belt Again
I am a white belt again and dang it feels good. In April 2022 I joined a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu dojo here on Okinawa so I thought I would begin sharing some of these experiences with the OKP Family.
Please let me know your own experiences branching out of karate and trying a new discipline. Or maybe you are coming to karate from another discipline. I'd really like to hear from you regarding your experiences.
As always, thank you for supporting the Okinawa Karate Podcast.
View all episodes
41. OKP # 41 Why Do I Like Karate12:52Why do you like karate? That's a question nearly every karate practitioner has been asked multiple times. I have been asked that question multiple times and I have given multiple answers. Well on one such occasion I gave an answer that was terrible and it's haunted me for four years. So I'd like to take the time to give a better answer than I did those four years ago in room full of well known and well respected karate masters. I really appreciate hearing from the Okinawa Karate Podcast listeners as well. I try to provide you some value in this podcast and please know that I greatly value the feedback I get from you. So why do you like karate? If you care to share your response with me I'd be more than happy to read it. Send to: firstname.lastname@example.orgAs always, thank you for listing to the Okinawa Karate Podcast!Josh Simmershttps://linktr.ee/OkinawaKaratePodcast
39. OKP #39 Back in Action03:18It's been a minute, er um more like one year, since I recorded an audio only episode of the Okinawa Karate Podcast. I may have taken a long hiatus but I am back. A sincere thank you to those that have stuck around and checked in on me by asking "when is the next episode?" Well here it is. Just a short recording to remind you that I am still here in the Birthplace of Karate and still hosting the only Karate podcast from the Birthplace of Karate, Okinawa Japan. Thanks again for all of the support. Josh SimmersOkinawa Karate Podcasthttps://linktr.ee/OkinawaKaratePodcast
38. OKP #38 - It's All About The Sensei14:54In this episode I talk about choosing a dojo that is right for you. This episode is dedicated to "R" for asking me a question on my YouTube video with Ron Nix Sensei: https://youtu.be/8EjHt0bOspgTrust me when I say the Sensei is way more important than the style. There's great Sensei's in every style, and sadly there's bad Sensei's too. Shoot me a message at email@example.com and let me know how you choose the correct dojo.
37. OKP #37 - Stay in Your Lane & FOCUS07:31Stay in your lane and FOCUS. What does this mean to me both in and out of the dojo? Well you have to listen to find out. I am curious to know what you think. Does this make any sense or is Josh off his rocker again? Shoot me a message. Oh an if it's not too much trouble can I please ask for a review on whatever podcast app you are listening on at this time? Thank you as always, Josh Simmers
36. OKP #36 - He Could Have Kicked Off My Head07:59As a follow-up to episode 35, "Be a Good Uke," I will describe the nicest, kindest training partner I had. If only I could remember his name.
35. OKP #35 - Be A Good Uke09:53Are you a good training partner? Have you partnered with that bad uke?Are you that bad uke? Don't be a bad uke!!!!
34. OKP #34 - Pillars in The Dojo08:24My Sensei's wife passed away. She was a pillar in the dojo. No need to elaborate any more than that. We all have pillars in the dojo.
33. OKP #33 - "An Old Man's Way - Doug Perry's Unlikely Journey Through Karate, War, and Life."31:59I am pleased to bring you this book interview and discussion with Jason Perry Sensei as we discuss "An Old Man's Way - Doug Perry's Unlikely Journey Through Karate, War, and Life." If you haven't already watched my first interview with Jason Perry Sensei, I suggest watching that first to get a taste of his own story and journey in the arts. Jason Perry Sensei is a 7th Dan in Shorin-Ryu and the son of Doug Perry, 10th Dan, Shorin-Ryu. I hope you enjoy this video and if you are interested in purchasing the book or just learning more about the author and his father you can visit the following:Softbound: www.amazon.comHardbound: www.lulu.comFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/OldManWay