The Battle for Roster Spots, Learning to Not Lose, and the Heritage Classic
The boys are back in town, which meant there was plenty to talk about on this week's episode of Oilersnation Radio.
Kicking off this week's podcast, we got started with a delicious debate about who will grab the final roster spot with the Oilers by the time training camp is all said and done. With Lane Pederson, Sam Gagner, and Raphael Lavoie all fighting for the final roster spot, it will be very interesting to see how that battle shakes out. Looking at the captain's skates that are happening at Rogers Place, we talked about how it's great to see the team getting to town so early and hitting the ice with purpose. While we always see teams showing up for optional skates every summer, this year just feels different because of the way the last season ended. We also covered the Nail Yakupov interview from Dropping the Gloves that happened this past week, and how it offered an interesting look behind the scenes at what was going on while he was hear. Needless to say, Yak didn't have much fun in Edmonton and that was a real bummer given how excited we all were to have him. Lastly, we wrapped up this week's podcast with another edition of Ask the Idiots, Kennedy's Quote Game, and Hot and Cold Performers to cap it all off.
Shoutout to the episode’s sponsors:
Oodle Noodle: https://www.oodlenoodle.ca/
Cornerstone Insurance: https://www.cornerstoneins.ca/
Wilhauk Beef Jerky: https://www.wilhaukbeefjerky.com/
Star Mechanical: https://starmechanical.ca/
Visit www.nationgear.ca for merch and more.
Follow us on Instagram @oilersnationdotcom
Follow us on Twitter/Facebook/TikTok @OilersNation
Reach out to email@example.com to connect with our Sales Team and discuss opportunities to partner with us!
View all episodes
355. The #NationVacation, Frank Seravalli's trade targets & the race for the Pacific Division01:00:01It’s Friday afternoon, and that means we’ve got a fresh episode of Oilersnation Radio all set, edited, and ready to take you into the weekend. This week, we spoke about the Oilers overtime loss to the Boston Bruins on Wednesday.Oilers’ up-and-down run since the all-star break, previewed tomorrow’s game against the Stars, and dove into more silly szn rumours that are circling our favourite hockey team. Kicking off the podcast, we got started with a debate about the Nation Vacation which happened earlier this week. Unfortunately, Nation Dan didn't make the trip this time around so Tyler, Rick and Liam gave their favourite memories from what was an incredible trip down to Arizona to watch the Oilers take on the Coyotes. Also on the show, the Vancouver Canucks are riding a four game losing streak which has really opened the door for Edmonton to take advantage. Can the Oilers do it? Well, with many games in hand, the guys discussed the possibility of that actually happening. Lastly, we wrapped up the Friday episode of ONR with another edition of Ask The Idiots, which mostly was about trade options heading into the deadline. Finally, we wrapped up the show with Hot and Cold performers.
354. Oilers struggle with consistency, the #NationVacation, and more silly szn rumours01:15:07It's Friday afternoon, and that means we've got a fresh episode of Oilersnation Radio all set, edited, and ready to take you into the weekend. This week, we spoke about the Oilers' up-and-down run since the all-star break, previewed tomorrow's game against the Stars, and dove into more silly szn rumours that are circling our favourite hockey team.Kicking off the podcast, we got started with a debate about the Oilers' bottom six and, specifically, whether any of those players should be replaced by a forward from the Bakersfield Condors. Given the fact that there are so many players not scoring right now, it's fair to wonder whether these most recent changes are going to give the team their best chance to win or not.We then looked at last night's 6-3 loss to the St. Louis Blues and how that game was one of the worst this team has played since October. From their parade to the penalty box to their inability to limit mistakes, the Oilers struggled with the basics of their game, and the result was a total disaster. For a team that's supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender, games like last night's simply cannot happen.Lastly, we wrapped up the Friday episode of ONR with another round of Kennedy's Quote Game before wrapping up the week with some best and worsts from the past seven days with another round of Hot and Cold Performers.
353. Oilers look to avoid a losing streak vs. the Red Wings, and more trade rumours01:08:19It's Tuesday afternoon and it's an Oilers game day, which means a fresh episode of Oilersnation Radio is all set and ready to discuss all things hockey. This week, we recapped the Oilers' last two games, Sam Gagner being back in the lineup, silly szn rumours, and previewed tonight's matchup versus the Detroit Red Wings.Kicking off the fresh episode of ONR, we started with a conversation about the Edmonton Oilers' trade deadline needs and whether we would prefer that Ken Holland use assets to acquire a forward or a defenceman. Does this team need more scoring, or would they be better off adding another defender who can keep pucks out of the net?Changing gears, we looked back at the last few days since the last podcast and talked about who delivered for us despite the results not necessarily going the way we wanted. Considering that the Oilers have a bunch of players that are not playing their best right now, the list of guys that need to step their games up is growing by the day. Next, we worked through the end of the podcast with a random collection of topics, including Woz's signature segment (Can You Clear That Up For Me), a look at some of the latest Silly Szn rumours, Morgan Rielly vs. Ridley Grieg, and offered a quick preview of tonight's matchup against the Detroit Red Wings.
352. Oilers look for a new win streak, silly szn rumours, and Knoblauch's new line combos01:16:19It's Friday afternoon, and that means we've got a fresh episode of Oilersnation Radio all set, edited, and ready to take you into the weekend. This week, we spoke about the Oilers' loss to Vegas, previewed tonight's game against the Ducks, and dove into some of the silly szn rumours that are circling our favourite hockey team.Kicking off the podcast, we got started with a delicious debate about the Oilers' new line combinations. Not only did Coach Knobby shuffle his forward lines, but he also changed up the defensive pairings, which had a lot of Oilers fans scratching their heads. Of course, Knobby has made a lot of good lineup choices since he's taken over, but these new d-pairings will certainly take a minute to get used to seeing. Looking ahead at the trade deadline, we dove into some of the rumours and names that the Oilers have been tied to lately and whether any of those players are realistic options. Depending on what the team's biggest need is, there are plenty of suitable names that the Oilers could chase but are any of them worth the cost of acquisition? Lastly, we wrapped up the Friday episode of ONR with another round of Ask the Idiots and Hot and Cold performers to recap the week, take in your feedback, and offer up our score predictions for what will be a very important weekend for the Oilers. As always, the Friday episode of Oilersnation Radio was as busy as it was random.
351. There's an NHL record in the Oilers' sights01:00:34It's Tuesday afternoon, and that means a fresh episode of Oilersnation Radio is all set and ready to discuss everything related to the Edmonton Oilers. This week, we're recapping the All-Star weekend, we're previewing the Oilers' attempt at an NHL record and previewed some of the rumours floating around as we inch toward the trade deadline.Kicking off the fresh episode of ONR, we looked back at the all-star weekend in Toronto and how it was one of the most entertaining weekends the NHL has put on in quite some time. From Michael Bublé's draft night presser to the skills competition, there was plenty to enjoy about this year's ASG when that hasn't been the case for a long time. We also broke down some of the off-ice stories that happened in Toronto, including Gary Bettman's presser on the 2018 WJC team and what's going on with the future of the Arizona Coyotes.Next, we looked at the NHL's announcement that professional players will return to the Olympics in 2026. As expected, hockey fans are universally excited about NHL players participating in the winter games, whereas the same could not be said about the 4 Nations Cup that will kick off next season between Canada, USA, Sweden, and Finland. Is giving us a four-team tournament enough to scratch the itch for 'best-on-best' hockey, or does having such a small tourney carry the same weight?Turning back to the Oilers, the team is set to kick off the back half of the schedule tonight in Vegas, and we wondered who we'd like to see pick up their games down the stretch. From depth scorers leveling up to Calvin Pickard continuing to provide reliable minutes, we had a bunch of different people and positions that could make a huge impact if they could elevate their play a little bit. Lastly, we wrapped up the Tuesday episode of ONR with another round of Can You Clear That Up For Me as well as a game preview of tonight's matchup against the Vegas Golden Knights.
350. Live from Toronto for All-Star Weekend34:56Tyler, Liam and Baggedmilk were joined by Jay today as the four guys sat down in their hotel room in Toronto to record a quick episode of Oilersnation Radio. They talked about all the news that's broken this week, like the trades involving Sean Monahan and Elias Lindholm, and they also hit on a few other stories from around the NHL. They also talked about their experiences in Toronto over the last 48 hours as they participated in 'SponsorshipX'.
349. Wrapping up a perfect month of January for the Edmonton Oilers01:04:56It's Tuesday afternoon, and that means a fresh episode of Oilersnation Radio is all set and ready to discuss everything related to the Edmonton Oilers. This week, we're looking ahead at the NHL trade deadline, dove into the Oilers' 16-game win streak, and previewed what to expect from the NHL All-Star Game. Kicking off the fresh episode of ONR, we jumped in with a delicious debate about Jay Downton's dream of bringing in Sidney Crosby as a deadline addition. If you listened to the Monday episode of Real Life, you'd know that the guys spent way too much time following him down the rabbit hole. Obviously, Sid isn't going to be available, but that did lead us to talk about potential targets that the Oilers could look at as potential deadline targets. Changing gears, we looked back at the Oilers' perfect month of January and how the team kept finding ways to win games even though they may not have deserved it. From the depth scoring to the PK success to keep things locked up in the defensive zone, the Oilers had contributions from throughout the lineup, and it gave the team a sense of resiliency that contributed to a bunch of wins. Lastly, we wrapped up the Tuesday episode of ONR with another round of Can You Clear That Up For Me as well as a game preview of tonight's matchup against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
348. Oilers extend heater to 15 games, and prepping for Corey Perry's debut01:15:51It's Friday afternoon, and the Oilers can't stop winning, which means there was plenty to discuss on the Friday episode of Oilersnation Radio. This week, we're looking at the Oilers' win streak, Zach Hyman's incredible season, Corey Perry's debut, and a whole lot more. Kicking off the Friday episode of ONR, we started the podcast with a debate about what has been the most surprising part of this 15-game win streak. Whether it was the depth scoring, the goaltending, or the goalies standing on their heads, the most incredible part about this heater is how many different players are contributing to the team's success. We also talked about how other fanbases are trying to diminish Edmonton's achievement even though no other teams have been able to do what they've done. Changing gears, we dove into Corey Perry's Oilers debut, which is set to happen tomorrow against Nashville, and what we expect from the former Anaheim Duck in his first game with his new team. Given that the team is buzzing right now, does it even make sense to pull Sam Gagner out of the lineup in favour of a player who hasn't played in a couple of months? Lastly, we wrapped up the Friday episode of Oilersnation Radio with another round of Ask the Idiots, Kennedy's quote game, and Hot and Cold performers.
347. The Oilers' win streak rolls on, and a Blue Jackets game preview01:06:06It's Tuesday afternoon, and that means a fresh episode of Oilersnation Radio is all set and ready to discuss everything related to the Edmonton Oilers.Kicking off the fresh episode of ONR, we jumped in with a delicious debate about the Oilers' decision to sign Corey Perry and whether or not we're excited to have the former Cup winner on the roster. Unsurprisingly, everyone is pretty excited to have Perry given that the acquisition cost was very low and they didn't have to give up assets outside of cash to get him. From there, we looked back at the game against the Calgary Flames and offered our take on who performed the best. Given that the depth scoring has powered the way lately, it was fun to give some love to players who may not necessarily get much credit around here.We also looked at some of the roster moves the Oilers have made lately and what those moves mean in terms of future transactions or even line combinations for the next couple of games. Given that Kris Knoblauch will need to get Perry into the lineup, as an example, who is going to come out to make that happen? Lastly, we wrapped up the Tuesday episode of ONR with another round of Can You Clear That Up For Me as well as a game preview of tonight's matchup against the Columbus Blue Jackets.