Next Generation Design
Understanding AI: How Artificial Intelligence is Revolutionizing Design
What comes to mind when you think about artificial intelligence? It’s a broad question that requires a bit of a deep dive to answer with any level of precision. As AI becomes an increasingly prominent fixture across a wide variety of industries, it’s never been more important to understand what AI actually means, and how it can fit into your business model.
Today’s guests are Shirish More, Product Manager at Siemens Digital Industries Software, and Paul Brown, Senior Marketing Director at Siemens PLM Software. Shirish is responsible for NX architecture, and he brings 20 years of experience in mechanical product development, customization, testing, and deployment. On the marketing side, Paul brings his background as an engineer to the global development and sales teams.
In this episode, we’ll start by defining what’s really meant when we use the term artificial intelligence, specifically relative to design, and where that meets with and deviates from machine learning. We’ll hear about 2 different models used to roll out this new technology, and what benefits it could provide in terms of productivity, product quality, and data collection.
Some Questions I Ask:
- How would you define artificial intelligence, also referred to as AI? (2:32)
- Does AI fit into the overall product development strategy? (3:53)
- How do you approach AI from the customer perspective? (6:44)
- Can you define the “out-of-the-box” model? (15:50)
- How do artificial intelligence and machine learning tie in with the Industry 4.0 message? (22:13)
- What are the most exciting AI-driven capabilities? (24:39)
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- How machine learning relates to AI (3:12)
- The benefits of collected data to businesses (5:02)
- How NX CAD leverages machine learning (8:34)
- The basics behind the NX Voice Command Assistant (13:57)
- How AI and machine learning are advancing (20:14)
- Connections between AI and virtual reality (26:16)
Connect with Shirish More:
Connect with Paul Brown:
Connect with Jennifer Piper: