Next Generation Design
How Simulation Software is Changing the Marine Industry
Ship building is just as important today as it has been throughout history. Whether it’s shipping goods across continents, or speed racing yachts across vast expanses of ocean, it’s always been a thriving industry globally. Getting those ships on the water and determining the details of these vessels, however, is becoming more complex.
This increasing complexity calls for a different approach to building if companies want to keep costs manageable. Intelligent simulation software has been a game-changer, helping companies save time and money.
Today’s guests, joining us from Siemens NX, are Kelvin Juarbe, Senior Technical Product Manager, Ken Sears, Director of Strategic Technology, and Jerry Braganza, Product Manager. They have their finger on the pulse of current marine industry trends, and some great perspective on the future of ship building.
In this episode, we’re taking a deep dive into the current trends driving the marine industry, and exploring how simulation software is disrupting the status quo. As the industry is required to focus more on sustainability and fuel efficiency, the need for technology to support that has never been greater. We’ll talk about how companies are using simulation, how it’s making cooperation and collaboration more efficient, and the impressive cost benefits of the simulation-first approach.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Is the industry leaning into more social responsibility? (4:01)
- Which marine business segments does Siemens work with today? (7:30)
- How easy has it been for the marine market to adopt a simulation approach? (15:51)
- How is Siemens helping to shape the digital evolution within the maritime industry? (22:42)
- Do you think that pandemic changes any of the future technologies that they'll be using in the marine industry? (25:10)
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- The four big trends in the modern shipbuilding industry (2:42)
- Why leisure boat segments are such a lucrative market today (10:15)
- How Siemens design software helped build a racing boat for America’s Cup (12:57)
- How different building materials affect fuel efficiency and weight (17:52)
- The cost benefits of starting with a simulation (21:29)
Connect with Kelvin Juarbe:
Connect with Ken Sears:
Connect with Jerry Braganza:
Connect with Jennifer Piper: