Next Generation Design
From 2D to 3D: Leading the Industry in Model-Based Definition Innovation
Innovation is in our blood here at Siemens. And nowhere is that more apparent than in our creation and modernization of Model-based Definition. We’ve been in the driver's seat since the early '90s through a series of leadership roles, and we were proud to be the first CAD vendor proactively engaging in 3D annotation.
With so many firsts in this category, we thought it would be a great opportunity to bring one of our experts on the podcast to help us understand the complexities of model-based design, and why our preeminent role in this technology is so special.
Today’s guest is Dave Wingrave, Product Manager at Siemens Digital Industries Software within the Product Engineering Software Division. He’s been with Siemens for 28 years and counting, having held various roles that have brought him in contact with customers around the globe. He helps decision-makers in various industries optimize their investment and work towards achieving their productivity goals.
In this episode, we’re exploring Model-based Definition, the history of this ground-breaking technology at Siemens, and the benefit it brings to the customers who use it. We'll also touch on Model-based Enterprise and learn how the reuse of Model-based Definition adds value to customers.
Some Questions I Ask:
- What benefits are there for reusing Model-based Definition? (2:54)
- What are some examples of the limitations of 2D drawings? (7:31)
- Which specific industries are adopting MBD? (9:55)
- What’s an example of a customer effectively using this approach? (10:25)
- How do you define Model-based Enterprise? (11:57)
- What lessons have you learned from how new software is deployed? (14:53)
- Where do you see MBD going in three to five years? (17:22)
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- An explanation of Model-based Definition (1:37)
- How Model-based Definition fits into the overall strategy at Siemens (3:23)
- The 4 categories of model-based design customers (5:40)
- One specific industry problem that’s solved with 3D MBD (7:53)
- How the customer benefits from Model-based Enterprise (13:21)
- The implementation solutions created to ease the process for customers (18:07)
Connect with Dave Wingrave:
Connect with Jennifer Piper: