Moms Don’t Have Time to Read Books with Zibby
Alix Strauss, THE JOY OF FUNERALS: A Novel in Stories
Zibby interviews lifestyle journalist and award-winning author Alix Strauss about the 20th Anniversary Edition of THE JOY OF FUNERALS, a powerful collection that is written with raw wit, mordant humor, and a uniquely penetrating voice as it spotlights loss, grief, and loneliness. Alix talks about her unique book party at a funeral home, her decision to reissue her book after two decades, and the changing societal attitudes towards funerals, death, and grief. She also shares insights into the unique structure of her book (it has eight short stories and a novella) and then describes her career transition from acting to writing (it might have something to do with a psychic reading…). In the end, she shares valuable advice for aspiring writers, emphasizing the importance of self-investment.
Purchase on Bookshop: https://bit.ly/41ABzxv
Share, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!
View all episodes
15. Zibby discusses BLANK with Kyle Owens24:34In honor of Zibby's pub day tomorrow (WOO-HOO!), we have a very special episode lined up: Zibby's husband, Kyle Owens, interviews her about BLANK! First, they reveal where the book's unique premise came from (they owe it to Zibby’s youngest son!), and then they delve into Zibby’s creative process. They also talk about character development in the novel, navigating reviews–both good and bad, the absolute joy of owning a bookstore and creating a beloved community hub in Santa Monica, and the experience of hosting this podcast!Purchase on Bookshop: https://bit.ly/3OWVCBoShare, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!
14. Zibby discusses BLANK with editor Carmen Johnson26:25Next up in our celebration of BLANK is a special episode with Zibby’s editor, Carmen Johnson. After discussing the publishing process (what are editors looking for? How do they evaluate pitch letters and manuscripts? What is the editorial process like?), Carmen offers a behind-the-scenes look at her role as an editor at Amazon Publishing. Then, she and Zibby discuss their ongoing author-editor relationship, reflecting on their collaborative work with BLANK, and sharing their excitement as they embark on their next project, Zibby’s new novel, OVERHEARD!Purchase on Bookshop: https://bit.ly/3OWVCBoShare, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!
13. Zibby reads the first chapter of BLANK!13:46As we anxiously wait for Zibby’s debut novel BLANK to hit the shelves this Friday, March 1st… we’re bringing you an exclusive preview! Tune in to hear Zibby read the first chapter of her book and fall in love with Pippa as she navigates family, friendship, success, and exhilarating self-(re)discovery! Oh, and don’t forget to order your copy!Purchase on Bookshop: https://bit.ly/3OWVCBoShare, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!
12. Joan Collins, BEHIND THE SHOULDER PADS: Tales I Tell My Friends29:28In this special episode (a live podcast recording at Zibby’s Bookshop!), Zibby interviews legendary English actress and author Joan Collins about her hilarious, intimate, and completely spellbinding new memoir, BEHIND THE SHOULDER PADS. Joan shares anecdotes from her eclectic and vibrant life, from dodging air raids during World War II to her iconic role in Dynasty. Zibby asks Joan about her childhood, personal relationships, marriage, and creative process. Then, Joan offers advice to aspiring creatives and shares insights on how to find joy and humor in life.Purchase on Bookshop: https://bit.ly/3wuQwpoShare, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!
11. Hazel Hayes with Aparna Nancherla at Zibby's Bookshop36:39In this special episode (a live event at Zibby’s Bookshop in Santa Monica!), Hazel Hayes (Irish-born, London-based author of OUT OF LOVE) and Aparna Nancherla (superstar, LA-based comedian and author of UNRELIABLE NARRATOR) chat about their books! The two delve into their experiences with imposter syndrome, the writing process, and the emotional journey of publishing a book. Aparna reflects on the challenges of balancing humor with serious topics like mental health and body images, and Hazel reads a passage from her upcoming book, which captures the weight of grief and breakups.Purchase on Bookshop:Out of Love: bit.ly/3pIT6CFUnreliable Narrator: bit.ly/3EHYIDAShare, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!
10. Roxana Robinson, LEAVING29:04Zibby chats with award-winning author Roxana Robinson about her bold and insightful late-in-life romance, LEAVING. Roxana describes the intricate dynamics between her two characters, Sarah and Warren, and then touches on themes of personal growth, familial obligations, and mature love. They also discuss the role of children in shaping relationships, the importance of self-discovery, and the challenges of navigating love in the later stages of life. Finally, Roxana reflects on her creative process and shares valuable advice for aspiring writers.Purchase on Bookshop: https://bit.ly/3uJquhEShare, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!
9. Meghan Riordan Jarvis and Hope Edelman at Zibby's Bookshop34:01In this special episode (a live event at Zibby’s Bookshop in Santa Monica!), New York Times bestselling author, writing instructor, and grief and loss coach Hope Edelman chats with renowned psychotherapist and Zibby Books author Meghan Riordan Jarvis about END OF THE HOUR, Meghan’s poignant and beautifully written memoir. Meghan delves into the origins of the book—writing was a therapeutic tool during her own treatment for trauma, which she experienced after the deaths of her parents. She and Hope explore the concept of trauma, the process of writing about traumatic experiences, therapeutic techniques, self-care, and healing.Purchase on Bookshop:End of the Hour: bit.ly/3QXNouaThe AfterGrief: https://bit.ly/4bKgzsSShare, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!
8. Emma Grey and Laura Tremaine at Zibby's Bookshop21:54In this special episode (a live event at Zibby’s Bookshop in Santa Monica!), writer and podcaster Laura Tremaine chats with Australian author Emma Grey about THE LAST LOVE NOTE, a “gorgeous, charming, funny, heart-rending, longing-filled triumph of a read” (Katherine Center). Emma describes her journey into writing (she fell in love with Anne of Green Gables, of course) and then delves into the intricacies of grief, candidly discussing the loss of her husband and mother and the power of writing as a form of catharsis. The two also touch on themes of love, friendship, and self-discovery.Purchase on Bookshop:The Last Love Note: bit.ly/3sYiAzZThe Life Council: https://bit.ly/3SLmOUDShare, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!
7. Lindsay Hameroff, TILL THERE WAS YOU18:07Debut author Lindsay Hameroff joins Zibby to discuss TILL THERE WAS YOU, a delightful second-chance romance with a dollop of celebrity drama about a musician on the edge of fame and the aspiring chef who becomes the inspiration for his hit single. Lindsay explains how a Harry Styles song inspired this novel and then discusses the main character’s journey as a chef, the challenges of balancing relationships with career aspirations, and the comedic elements of her story. She also shares insights into her writing process (and her favorite breakfast foods!) and offers advice for aspiring authors. Purchase on Bookshop: https://bit.ly/3wohzCKShare, rate, & review the podcast, and follow Zibby on Instagram @zibbyowens!