The Mirror of Antiquity
10 - Vassar College Seniors 2019
What the study of antiquity means to seven seniors graduating from Vassar College with degrees in Greek and Roman Studies
View all episodes
9. 9 - The Ideal Life - Emily Wilson41:14What if we've been doing it all wrong when we look to antiquity for inspiration?
8. 8 - An Apprenticeship for Life - Christopher Moore48:17The ancient Greeks had a maxim, "Know Yourself." What does that even mean? Socrates had some ideas. With Christopher Moore (Penn State)
7. 7 - Society for Classical Studies 201836:10Conversations from the annual meeting of professional Classical scholars about what's exciting in the study of Greco-Roman antiquity
6. 6 - Vassar College Seniors 201836:51What the study of antiquity means to five seniors graduating from Vassar College with degrees in Greek and Roman Studies
5. 5 - The Punk Lexicon - Joshua Sosin55:10Loud music, 27 hours on a bike, and a crowd-sourced translation of a giant ancient dictionary
4. 4 - The Invention of Europe - Nancy Bisaha01:00:53On the origin of the idea of “Europe” and of anti-Islamic rhetoric. You may be surprised to learn which one came first.
3. 3 - The Lost World - Matthew Wright58:43How do you study a world that's been almost entirely lost? And when you do, what do you notice about the loss of our own cultural heritage? With Matthew Wright (University of Exeter).
2. 2 - Revolution and Regret - Carolyn Dewald54:42Looking back on a life of activism through the lens of Herodotus and Thucydides, with Carolyn Dewald (Bard College).