Messy & Magnificent with Karlee Fain
Trust Your Knowing: How Women Rise From Doubt to Leading Themselves Forward with Suzi Banks Baum
"I crave a sense of spaciousness in my days." "I miss getting to create for the joy and nourishment of it." "How do I know what the right choice is here?" These are the kinds of questions that women who have been taught that taking care yourself is frivolous, brush up against. What if it's all too easy to push off what you need for tomorrow? And the next day. And the next.
When you find yourself in that pattern, and you're feeling unsettled, dare to pause. Ask yourself: what is my body communicating to me in this moment?
Here’s the truth you may have been taught to ignore: your body is trying to communicate with you, and it is possible to use that as a professional strategy. Once you learn how to listen to your body, it can guide you toward some of your biggest wins. Conversely, when your body is urging you not to do something, you may feel a headache coming on, tightness in your shoulders and neck, or just feel completely exhausted by even just an idea on paper.
If you find yourself wanting more space for yourself throughout your day, or the room to be creative, or if you’re feeling worried about what the next right step for you is, then this episode is for you.
This week’s guest is Suzi Banks Baum: a master at interpreting the language of the body. Suzi is a writer and book artist with an admirable devotion to her daily creative practice. Throughout the conversation, Suzi shares how her creative practices help her stay solid even when everything feels chaotic around her, how she learned to cultivate these practices, and how listening to her body’s information has guided her over the years, and even more specifically during all the professional changes she's had to make during this pandemic.
Tune in to learn how to implement the deeply nourishing framework that will guide you from doubt back to your Knowing.
Some Questions I Ask:
- How do you go about making mindful pivots in business? (14:08)
- What do you feel in your body when something’s not quite right? (18:12)
- What thoughts bubbled up for you when you're tempted to ignore what you know to be true? (23:46)
- What’s the connection between creative practice and tapping into your Knowing? (30:18)
- How can someone start cultivating a simple creative practice? (37:43)
- How did you know when it was time to make a big change for your signature program - Backyard Art Camp? (49:02)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How Suzi stays solid amidst the chaos of life’s changes. (8:32)
- How you know when it’s time to modify the way you do business. (14:46)
- What is body-knowing? (18:55)
- How creative practices help you gain a greater understanding of your interior orientation. (30:32)
- How ritual can help you begin cultivating a creative practice. (38:21)
- How making time for herself helped Suzi take back her freedom and agency. (57:33)
People We Mention:
Resources I Mention:
Connect with Suzi Banks Baum: