Share

The Agenda
22% Increase in Calls for Help Last Year - Meath Women's Refuge & Support Services launches 2024 Annual Report - 16/09/2025
Today, Tuesday 16th September 2025, Meath Women’s Refuge & Support Services launched its 2024 Annual Report, showing an increase in contact from women affected by domestic violence.
There was a 22% increase in helpline calls from 1,122 to 1,376 between 2023 and 2024. A total of 194 women and children leaving situations of domestic violence stayed in refuge and a further 534 women were supported in the community through outreach and court accompaniment. Our specialist children’s team supported a further 99 children in the community.
Frances Haworth, CEO of Meath’s Women’s Refuge, joined us on The Agenda this morning to tell us more about this.
We also spoke to Orla O'Connor from The National Wowen's Council, about how the housing crisis fuelling violence against women.
More episodes
View all episodes

North Kerry CAMHS Lookback Review Report
07:19|In light of the publication today of North Kerry CAMHS Lookback Review Report (Maskey 2) ADHD Ireland calls on both the HSE and the Department of Health to ensure barriers around funding, recruitment and Clinical Governance are resolved so that long term solutions are implemented to deliver world class outcomes for all our young people.
€154.1 million committed to flood defence, but interim measures urgently needed
05:28|Louth FF TD, Erin McGreehan, has been informed that €154.1 million has been committed to flood relief and coastal protection projects in Louth. However, she stressed the urgent need for interim flood defence measures while the major projects in areas like Ardee, Drogheda, and Carlingford are progressing.
Major new EU careers competition now open to Irish candidates
14:00|For the first time since 2019, the EU’s main recruitment pathway for permanent careers in the EU institutions – the AD5 Generalist Administrator competition – has been launched, Minister of State at the Department of the Taoiseach, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and at the Department of Defence, Thomas Byrne, has confirmed. . Thomas also Comments on Drogheda United and Joanna Byrne
Primary principal told to choose between kids when allocating SNA
12:27|was delighted when officials overtunred decission
Meath man who kept horses in harrowing conditions
09:39|Meath man who kept horses in what the judge describes as harrowing conditions pleads guilty
"Does Government Even Know What it's at Regarding SNA's?" ? Asks Navan Councillor - 17/01/2026
09:35|The Government’s apparent new criteria for children to qualify for Special Needs support has drawn criticism, with one Navan Cllr describing it as ‘stripped back and narrow’Aontú’s Cllr Emer Tóibín says:“I am deeply concerned over talk of Special Needs Assistants (SNA) Cuts and Redeployment.I have been contacted by so many SNA’s over the last few days who have told me that this government appears to be fundamentally narrowing the definition of what qualifies a child for SNA support.Under the revised deployment model introduced through the National Council for Special Education (NCSE), allocation is now based almost exclusively on tightly defined primary care needs such as toileting, feeding, significant medical interventions, mobility or serious safety risks.Emotional regulation, sensory overload, communication difficulties, transitions, anxiety, or a child’s inability to cope in a busy mainstream classroom may no longer meet the threshold unless linked to intensive care needs.Councillor Toibin joined us on The Agenda this morning to talk to us some more about this.
"Minister for Education Must Address School Place Shortage in Dunshaughlin", Says Meath-East TD
08:11|Sinn Féin TD for Meath East, Darren O’Rourke, has expressed serious concern that there will not be enough school places for children in Dunshaughlin this September, warning that the issue has now become an annual crisis.Teachta O’Rourke is seeking a debate on the issue in the Dáil this week and is calling on the Minister for Education, Hildegarde Naughten, to take urgent action to ensure that every child in the area has access to a school place.He said:"Families in Dunshaughlin are facing yet another crisis as it becomes increasingly clear that there will not be enough school places for local children this September. At this stage, if no additional capacity is added to the local schools beyond what is currently planned, we could have many children without a school place come September. One local school has been unable to accommodate more than 80 children, for example”. Deputy O’Rourke joined us on The Agenda this morning to talk to us some more about this.
Judge finds Minister Was Wrong in Not Adding Two Homes to Mother & Baby Home Redress Scheme - 17/02/2026
15:55|A judge in the case of two survivors who were excluded from the mother and baby home redress scheme has delivered a landmark ruling that the children’s minister was wrong in not considering adding two homes to the compensation deal.John Duncan Morris, who was in Stamullen in Co Meath, had taken the High Court action over being excluded from the redress scheme.They are two of an estimated 19,000 survivors excluded from the payment scheme, including those who spent less than six months in homes as well as those who were boarded out.We were joined on The Agenda this morning by John Duncan Morris.We also spoke to Alison O'Reilly from The Irish Examiner who has been following this story from the beginning.
Minister Helen McEntee Floats Idea of Defence Forces Boarding Russian Oil Tankers as ‘Deterrent’ - 17/02/2026
11:25|Defence minister Helen McEntee has put forward a proposal for the Irish Defence Forces to board Russian oil tankers as a “deterrent”.The Meath-East Fine Gael TD said there is already a law in place that allows the Defence Forces to do this if there are “concerns” and her proposal specifically relates to Russian “shadow fleets”.The Minister said the details are set to be fine-tuned with engagement needed from other colleagues. She added that the proposal comes following discussions at the Munich Security Conference with countries such as Iceland and Canada.Minister McEntee joined us on The Agenda this morning to talk to us some more about this.We also discussed the Irish holidaymakers heading to Cuba who have been told to contact their travel agents “immediately” after the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) changed their travel advice for the country.