Little Red Village
Fern Mallis: Creator of New York Fashion Week
Jonathan and Rachel interview fashion icon and former Executive Director of the CFDA, Fern Mallis.
We talk about her serendipitous start in fashion by way of the famous Mademoiselle Guest Editor Program, growing up in the garment district in a family of fashion business-owners, inspiring the next generation and paying it forward, what it was like to create New York Fashion Week (originally 7th on 6th) and the lessons learned through her interview series Fashion Icons at 92Y which is now a two volume set published by Rizzoli and sponsored by Nordstrom.
View all episodes
11. Janie Bryant Part 2: Emmy Award Winning Costumer39:29On part 2 of Janie Bryant's interview we dive into the creation of Pennywise for the reboot of Steven King's IT and so so much more!
10. Janie Bryant Part 1: Emmy Award Winning Costumer41:29On this episode we dive into what its like running a large costuming department, Mad Men, and more with Primetime Emmy Award Winning costumer Janie Bryant.
9. Jenny Campbell: Part 2: New Orleans Costumer and Digital Archivist37:08Join us for part two with Mardi Gras costumer and New Orleans creative Jenny Campbell where we discuss her custom costume clientele, the creative process and of course her early fashion and design memories.
8. Jenny Campbell Part 1: Digital Archivist & Costumer36:30Jenny Campbell is a dynamic fashion and costuming lover with a passion for New Orleans. She is both a renowned Mardi Gras costumer for various krewes and works as a digitization and collections expert for The Louisiana Museum.
7. Erin Ayanian Part 2: Hollywood Makeup Artist32:27In part 2 of our interview with celebrity makeup artist Erin Ayanian we discuss MUA history, key inspirational references, book recommendations and more.
6. Erin Ayanian Part 1: Hollywood Makeup Artist30:58Our next guest is our first venture into the world of professional makeup! Erin Ayanayan has spent the last few decades honing her craft as a MUA to the stars. Most notably Elle & Dakota Fanning and Lucy Liu. She sheds light on industry ins and outs for how to flesh our characters, running a production like Neon Demon’s makeup and more.
5. Justine Picardie Part 2: Historian & Former Editor in Chief Harpers Bazaar UK33:02On part 2 of her interview, we learn from former Editor in Chief of Harper's Bazaar UK, fashion historian & author Justine Picardie; who talks to Rachel and Jonathan more about how to frame history in the modern age of cancel culture, the unique lens of wartime as a crucible for history, and how to discuss complex yet problematic figures like Coco Chanel.
4. Justine Picardie Part 1: Former Editor in Chief Harpers Bazaar UK34:50On this episode we learn from former Editor in Chief of Harper's Bazaar UK, fashion historian & author Justine Picardie; who talks to Rachel and Jonathan about her books Miss Dior, and Coco Chanel: The Legend and Life as well as the future of fashion publishing in the age of AI.
3. Sandy Schreier Part 2: Largest Private Haute Couture Collector and Fashion Historian40:31On this episode of Little Red Village we wrap up our special 2 part interview with the savior of fashion herself, Sandy Schreier. The couture collector, author, and fashion historian has spent her entire life obsessed with fashion and its preservation. Sandy began collecting haute couture during the heyday of Detroit luxury as The Motor City's ladies who lunch sent trunks of hand me down couture by the limo full. The Ford, Dodge, and Chrysler women were just as enraptured by her passion for fashion as we are.