This Sustainable Life
320: Confronting doof
I got a taste of what I believe leads people to tell me they can't avoid packaging or buying fresh, local produce.
Living in a semi-rural area led me to shop in a large supermarket for the first time in a year or two. They carried only doof and stuff shipped from across the country and world.
I share the story and the uplifting results.
Here are the notes I read from:
- When I talk about taking over a year to fill a load of trash, people often say "You can but I can't."
- I'm staying outside the city and shopped with my stepfather in a supermarket for the first time in at least a year
- Everything packaged, almost nothing loose
- Produce out of season, can't tell from where
- Pears from Argentina
- Bulk food section
- All doof
- Realized why people say they can't do it
- But I don't accept
- Plan to talk to manager about bulk foods
- Researched farmers market
- June start
- Emailed people, they responded
- Mom and stepfather knew one
- Learned about Hub
- Ordered Hub yesterday
- Living by environmental values always leads to joy, community, connection
- If you just accept what they offer, you're bull with ring in nose
- Result is obesity, dependence,