1. Diagnosis27:40In this first episode, Phil discusses his Motor Neurone Disease (MND) diagnosis with Nyree and the ripple effect this had on his daily life – immediately after, and today, seven years on. He discusses the impact on his family life, his mental health and the feelings of helplessness as his physical health deteriorates.Phil also shines light on the unexpected; how the years succeeding his diagnosis have also been some of his most colourful in his life. This episode features guest speaker Dr Rhys Robert, consultant neurologist and director of MND care for Addenbrookes.
View all episodes
2. Why I'm doing this04:02Yes, assisted dying is a contentious issue. But why have we yet to have a more thoughtful (and nuanced) conversation about it?In this short episode, Phil explains why this project is so important, and how he hopes it will shape the debate around assisted dying.
3. Phil's Diary04:19Over the past year and a half, we've been recording conversations that follow Phil's journey living with motor neurone disease (MND). These short "Phil's Diary" episodes are short collections of Phil's thoughts and how they change as time passes.Recorded in autumn 2020, this episode is about asking for help.
4. Politics48:11It's becoming clear that if there's going to be a change in the law on assisted dying, it will come from the world of Westminster: not the Courts.In this episode Phil speaks to Sir Vince Cable, former Liberal Democrat leader, about how the debate is playing out in Parliament, and about his own journey on supporting the issue in the UK.
5. Phil's Diary02:45In this mini-sode, Phil shares his thoughts on talking about death with his loved ones.
6. The Law35:07How does the UK law on assisted dying work at the moment? How is it enforced? What does all that mean for Phil and his family? In this episode we hear from Adam Wagner, Human rights barrister at Doughty Street Chambers and Phil has a brutally candid conversation with former senior police officer Martyn Underhill which leaves him reeling.
7. Phil's Diary02:40In this mini-sode, Phil shares his thoughts on time and what this means to him since his diagnosis.