Jools and Jim's Joyride
Season 5, Ep. 1
Join Jools and Jim once again as they take to the road (and sky, and sea) for another series of Joyride, this week alongside singer-songwriter Marc Almond.
The Soft Cell vocalist shares tales of travelling through the USSR, where to find the best fish and chips, and owning cars he can’t drive; plus the three discuss eclectic shared houses, and Marc divulges the secrets of jackdaw ownership.
There’s talk of prehistoric birds, stolen leather jackets and an Anglo-American cultural exchange; and while Jim samples “food of the world” on a mountain top, Jools causes a stir with an uncanny impression…
A Dig! Studios / Warner Music Entertainment podcast.
Produced by Molly Stewart.
8. Olly Smith36:05With the car keys safely locked away, Jools and Jim raise a glass with wine afficionado Olly Smith for the last episode in this series of Joyride.Irish wine, Greek retsina and hobbyist fizz are all on the menu as the presenter, columnist and author delights in the potential for “liquid time travel”, and explains how Jools is responsible for his love of classic cars.Jools considers the lapel width in American car brochures, while Jim tosses down a boozy gauntlet: and the three discuss operating musical machinery while under the influence, Napoleonic brandy, and travelwear of the highest order…A Dig! Studios / Warner Music Entertainment podcast.Produced by Molly Stewart.
7. Pam Hogg30:20Donning her bicycle clips and red bandana for this week’s episode is fashion designer Pam Hogg, as she joins Jools and Jim on the cycle lanes on London.While Jools quizzes his companions over their breakfast choices, Jim shares his experience of the Latvian mafia and Pam thinks back to travelling ill-prepared through Iran and Iraq in the 1970s (and what was on the menu).The topic of mirror placement is discussed once more, plus the three talk terrible train station toilets, completing the Gumball Rally in a white Stetson hat, and climbing Machu Pichu in platform shoes… A Dig! Studios / Warner Music Entertainment podcast.Produced by Molly Stewart.
6. Nik Hodges32:17This week Jools and Jim take a trip in a WWII jeep with composer, producer and Chas & Dave drummer Nik Hodges.Nik shares tales of touring with Chas & Dave, rose-tinted memories of roadside eateries and the world of collectible military vehicles. Meanwhile, there’s talk of drunk wasps, phallic spaceships and Jim explains Bob Mortimer’s passion for hard boiled eggs,The three consider the evolution of an accent, eccentric vs traditionalist driving, and the lengths Jools will go for a fish finger sandwich; plus Jim shares his vision for an underwater future…A Dig! Studios / Warner Music Entertainment podcast.Produced by Molly Stewart.
5. Shaun Keavney33:47Broadcaster Shaun Keavney makes a break for it after being “landlocked in his postcode” as he joins Jools and Jim for this week’s episode of Joyride. From Neasden to LA, Shaun ponders seeing (and not seeing) the sights, while Jools confesses to an unlikely annual pilgrimage. The three talk long-life lightbulbs, whether zeppelins deserve another chance, and the enchanting smell of steam. But after recounting a terrible train journey to Edinburgh, Shaun questions whether his episode of Joyride will even make the cut…A Dig! Studios / Warner Music Entertainment podcast.Produced by Molly Stewart.
4. Vick Hope34:31After briefly getting stuck in the Blackwell tunnel, Vick Hope takes Jools and Jim from Tanzania to Nicaragua via “real America” in this week’s Joyride.The broadcaster and journalist shares stories of electronic tango in Argentina, a glittering necropolis in Brazil and eating jollof rice from a camping stove in Scotland. Meanwhile Jim’s close encounter with a lion doesn’t quite match up to Vick’s.Jools questions what it means when a man gives you stones, and the three discuss haircuts (good and bad), functional boat journeys, and buying counterfeit money at the airport… A Dig! Studios / Warner Music Entertainment podcast. Produced by Molly Stewart.
3. Melanie C33:42Jim and Jools strap on their helmets and go for a sporty spin on their Choppers (or Tomahawks) with Mel C this week.The American Music, Brit and Ivor Novello award-winning singer talks to Jools and Jim about childhood fearlessness, holidays in the “Welsh Riviera” and the vital importance of mirror placement; and while Jim thinks back to disappointing a crowd of lorry drivers, Jools and Mel consider the ultimate sign of punk affection.Jools recalls kicking a roast chicken into the desert, and the three discuss the concept of an “open burglary”, Wikipedia accuracy and the optimum cereal to have thrown at you… A Dig! Studios / Warner Music Entertainment podcast. Produced by Molly Stewart.
2. Paul Whitehouse32:40This week Jools and Jim switch off the engine and cast a line with Harry and Paul and The Fast Show star, Paul Whitehouse.The actor and comedian takes Jools and Jim on a trip through East Germany, despite sharing a less than encouraging motto for travel; and the three consider different approaches to fishing (and birdwatching). Paul recounts salmon fishing in Russia, the most delicious apple juice he’s ever sampled, and he and Jim think back to driving together in a gold Hillman Imp. Meanwhile, the three workshop an idea for a makeshift toilet, and Jools notes Paul’s lack of a watch…A Dig! Studios / Warner Music Entertainment podcast. Produced by Molly Stewart.
8. Joe Pasquale34:02“Well-travelled Victorians” Jools and Jim take to the skies this week with King of the Jungle, Joe Pasquale.The comedian and actor tells tales of sheltering in a wardrobe during a missile strike, and digital dexterity in a swimming pool; while Jim admits to giving a teacher an unusual haircut and Jools offers a theory regarding unicorns.Joe recounts the difficulties of flying in a Russian fighter jet, and the three discuss ancient flutes, whether a dragonfly is a fairy (or vice versa), and how to tell the time in the jungle…A Dig! Studios / Warner Music Entertainment podcast.Produced by Molly Stewart.