Career Warrior Podcast
#60) How to Get Yourself Promoted | Colonel, USAF (Ret) Carla Bass
Today, we have an episode all about getting promoted. We will hear from Carla Bass, a communication expert and retired officer from the U.S. Air Force on how to position ourselves for a promotion.
Colonel Carla D. Bass has an impressive 30 year history in the U.S Air Force under her belt. According to her bio, she’s worked with general officers, ambassadors, and congregational delegations on some many impressive things, including hundreds of personnel appraisals. For 15 years, Carla taught thousands of Air Force personnel how to write powerfully. Carla now composes written products for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, so they are sent to Congress and the White House. She also founded her company Write to Influence!...and wrote an award -winning book with the same name so that she can help professionals get hired and move up in their careers. (We will cover that book at the end of this episode).
Here's What We Cover:
- The mechanics of how to ask for a promotion. How can we set up a meeting to get a promotion in the horizon?
- The input for a performance review. How do we get a solid package together for job seekers looking for a promotion?
- Let’s talk about the job diary. Why is tracking work performance so important, and how can we use this to our advantage?
- Some other ideas for positioning yourself for a promotion:
- Volunteering to chair projects.
- Strategizing your way to success.
- Submitting subordinates for awards.
- What’s the biggest mistake professionals make when they are trying to get promoted within their company?
Resources Mentioned in the Episode:
- Order Write to Influence!, Carla's book as mentioned in the episode: https://www.amazon.com/Write-Influence-Appraisals-Scholarships-Internships-ebook/dp/B01MSL1XF9
- Find out more about Carla, her bio, and her workshops on her website: https://writetoinfluence.net/