Invisible Not Broken - Chronic Illness Podcast Network
Roundtable - Ableism (Part 1) with Monica, Eva and Jason
Ableism comes in all shapes and sizes AND we experience it both internally and externally.
Monica (Explicitly Sick), Eva (Humancare), and Jason (Discomfort Zone) talk about how they have experienced and dealt with ableism personally as well as give advice on what could work for others…plus other stuff around chronic illness and crap :p
TRANSCRIPT HERE (it's not fab, but hopefully it does the job, sorry!)
- Finding the people that won't tell you you're crazy
- All about mobility aids and our perceptions of them vs. the perception of others
- gadgets that help us (ex: reMarkable tablet - not a paid promo, just love it!)
- “Do I deserve this?” - what we ask when we spend money on ourselves
- Travel adaptations
- Ableism in healthcare
- Equitable vs. Fair (“everyone gets the same” vs. “everyone gets what’s needed”)
3 last pieces of advice (1 hour in)
- “Taking care of yourself is not losing ground ex) if you decide you need a wheelchair, you are not taking a step back, you are not losing power. I wish someone told me that a decade ago” - Monica
- “Battle ableism first starts with how you receive things yourself. there is a lot you can do internally that will help you battle that in your outside world.” - Eva
- “Gaslighting is tough - especially with family and personal relationships. There are certain times when it can be really intense, and at times you need to give yourself distance from that person… it may be the right decision to cut them out of your life… [at the same time] it’s often people who are incredibly well-intentioned and good people…so take that into consideration.” - Jason
Stay tunes for Ableism - Part 2! (Which will include Dr. Lee)
How have you experienced ableism - internally and externally? Let us know what works for you in our Facebook Group!
**ALSO, BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!
Monica and Jason are both seeking your stories on gaslighting. These stories could be a part of a long-form audio story or in Monica's Magazine. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with a written or oral summary of your story. In the subject line, please write "gaslighting stories" as well as your country of residence._____PLEASE SHARE 😍 RATE & REVIEW 👍DON’T FORGET TO LISTEN & SUBSCRIBE TO EACH OF OUR PODCASTS :
EXPLICITLY SICK WITH MONICAHUMANCARE WITH EVADISCOMFORT ZONE WITH JASONSEX AND CHRONIC ILLNESS WITH DR. LEECHECK OUT OUR OFFICIAL INVISIBLE NOT BROKEN FACEBOOK PAGE AND OUR INSTAGRAMS!@HUMANCARE_PODCAST@DRLEEPHILLIPS@DZONEPODCAST@EXPLICITLYSICK@INVISIBLENOTBROKEN
BE KIND. BE GENTLE. BE BADASS.