Inspirational Insights Podcast - Insight To Action
Creating Freedom to Contribute with Matt Perez
Nearsoft is a software development company with a distinct advantage in attracting and retaining talented developers. In 2007 it all started with 8 staff that is now 240 and growing world-wide. Co-founder Matt Perez is viewed as a pioneer in workplace innovation by my colleague Doug Kirkpatrick and in this interview you'll find out why.
We talk about:
- How the company began - the inspiration for starting up as a self-managed company
- How staff initiated leadership teams function as a dynamic hierarchy
- The role of transparency in replacing assumptions with real information and in reinforcing fairness
- Why there's more structure in self-managed companies than where power is centralized
- The inspiration and benefits to a healthy workplace environment
- The connection between playfulness and creativity
- How to scale freedom to contribute
- How decisions are made in an intentional and structured way
Matt credits the role of Ricardo Semler's book The 7-day Work Week and mentions participation in WorldBlu for freedom-centric companies. At the end, uou'll receive an offer you can't refuse from Matt who is committed and serious about helping other companies both make the transition to workplaces that work for people (including clients). Learn more at www.nearsoft.com
Much thanks to Doug Kirkpatrick for continuing to steer me to companies leading the way in future workplace design happening today.
Intro music is provided by Mark Romero Music.